Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the wife said she wanted more power for the monster, $1200 for a 780cc kit and a 2-3hp gain didn't seem worth it. After e-baying a 2001 900SS engine (FI) for $350, the adventure started.

Started out with a '97 750 monster.

** Converted over to carb
** Powder coated the frame as close to the 750ss duck egg green as possible without having to have stupidly priced custom powder made
** Second front disc
** Kevlar brake lines
** Hyperpro steering damper
** Converted voltage regulator to 3 phase
** Converted ignition over using the Ingitech TCP4i module

Have a few remaining jetting things to sort out due to the bigger engine, but the whole thing was done for about $900 bucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
900.00 bucks my a$$, that thing looks like a Million Bucks!! Love the frame, and great color combo for the whole bike!

Great job on pulling off a great looking bike for such a small splash of cash, now that is one good investment! :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
e-bay is king! I got the steering damper from Fast by Ferracci (they must have been clearing out some back room space and found them) for less than $200 (bought 2).

Voltage regulator was 35 bucks.

Brake rotor & caliper came off of my older 900SS trackbike when I upgraded to EBC rotors and 999 4-pad brembos last year.

The hardest part was converting the ignition with the TCP4i module. I had to run some extra wires, and make sure things worked. I'll assume I'm the exception with those items. Most folks use them to gain adjustability for their current ignition systems. The carb bikes have two independent pickups; one for each cylinder. The FI engine has a 48x reluctor wheel with a hall effect sensor. I had to buy the 48x modules, and then rewire to fit the carb harness.

I removed all of the EVAP crap, and mounted the module inside the airbox, so it came out as a really clean install. I may buy one of the modules for my track bike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When the wife said she wanted more power for the monster, $1200 for a 780cc kit and a 2-3hp gain didn't seem worth it. After e-baying a 2001 900SS engine (FI) for $350, the adventure started.

Started out with a '97 750 monster.

** Converted over to carb
** Powder coated the frame as close to the 750ss duck egg green as possible without having to have stupidly priced custom powder made
** Second front disc
** Kevlar brake lines
** Hyperpro steering damper
** Converted voltage regulator to 3 phase
** Converted ignition over using the Ingitech TCP4i module

Have a few remaining jetting things to sort out due to the bigger engine, but the whole thing was done for about $900 bucks.
wow....a Paul Smart Monster! Looks great! You did a wonderful job! BTW....tell your son not to get any ideas....I've seen that look in his eyes before....your in trouble....hide the keys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts