Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1981 - 2000 of 2040 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bike looks and sounds good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks, it was quite the covid summer restoration project. Bought it with a leaking head gasket, shot starter, and a sprang clutch that had disintegrated. Checked and replaced the shims to spec. Completed engine flush, new belts, oil. Even discovered the manifold was cracked and the exhaust had no packing material inside of it. Very very fun project.

The bike came with most of the goodies. I only swapped in my RaceTech valved forks, installed ConvertiBar clip ons, and some adjustable rearsets. Ditched the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT tires it came with for Metzler M7/M9 combo. And I did a Ducati Performance ECU tune thanks to the ECU repository on this site. I was surprised it was running the stock ECU given the cut pipes and open airbox.

Frankly, it ran like shit when I bought it. I rode it for a week to figure out if the head was leaking or if it was the expansion tank leaking. After a week, I benched it and tore it apart. Now she runs perfect, like my old Monster 695.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
506 Posts
Thanks, it was quite the covid summer restoration project. Bought it with a leaking head gasket, shot starter, and a sprang clutch that had disintegrated. Checked and replaced the shims to spec. Completed engine flush, new belts, oil. Even discovered the manifold was cracked. Very very fun project.

The bike came with most of the goodies. I only swapped in my RaceTech valved forks, installed ConvertiBar clip ons, and some adjustable rearsets. Ditched the stupid Michelin Road 4 GT tires it came with for Metzler M7/M9 combo. And I did a Ducati Performance ECU tune thanks to the ECU repository on this site. I was surprised it was running the stock ECU given the cut pipes and open airbox.

Now she runs perfect, like my old Monster 695.

The head was cracked and the head was leaking? I meticulously maintained that bike, wonder what happened with the next two owners.
The guy I bought it from said he sent the ecu to Houston superbikes for a reflash, so it’s interesting to know he lied, especially considering how well it rode. Even had the rockers checked.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I’m right behind ya. Just restored an 04 S4R that was in bad shape. Luckily I didn’t have to pull the heads, but the only original parts are the frame, motor, wiring, and swingarm.

Strong work!

·
Registered
85 Posts
The head was cracked and the head was leaking? I meticulously maintained that bike, wonder what happened with the next two owners.
The guy I bought it from said he sent the ecu to Houston superbikes for a reflash, so it’s interesting to know he lied, especially considering how well it rode. Even had the rockers checked.
I sent you a PM a few days back because I saw you post a picture of this bike in a for sale thread. I guess you’re the Ducati mechanic I was told about seeing your posts. The head wasn’t cracked, it was the head gasket that was leaking coolant. I noticed green coolant near the manifold when I went to go buy the bike.

I bought it in June from a guy named Chris who owned it for 3 months. He bought it from a friend he told me who bought it from a Ducati mechanic lol. So I anticipated the head gasket replacement and doing a valve adjustment but I didn’t anticipate the sprang clutch and starter.

At least it’s done and I can ride the bike knowing everything is good without any headaches.

Regarding the ECU....

It’s very easy to check if you have a DP ECU using GuzziDiag. You go into the trim setting and make your adjustment. Save it and turn the bike off. Then You go back into the trim setting again and if it’s back at 0, you now know it’s the stock ECU map. DP ECU will save the trim setting at whatever value you set, most importantly you will feel the difference riding the bike. I do value increments of 10 and for every 10 increments, there’s a noticeable difference in throttle response.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I sent you a PM a few days back because I saw you post a picture of this bike in a for sale thread. I guess you’re the Ducati mechanic I was told about seeing your posts. The head wasn’t cracked, it was the head gasket that was leaking coolant. I noticed green coolant near the manifold when I went to go buy the bike.

I bought it in June from a guy named Chris who owned it for 3 months. He bought it from a friend he told me who bought it from a Ducati mechanic lol. So I anticipated the head gasket replacement and doing a valve adjustment but I didn’t anticipate the sprang clutch and starter.

At least it’s done and I can ride the bike knowing everything is good without any headaches.

Regarding the ECU....

It’s very easy to check if you have a DP ECU using GuzziDiag. You go into the trim setting and make your adjustment. Save it and turn the bike off. Then You go back into the trim setting again and if it’s back at 0, you now know it’s the stock ECU map. DP ECU will save the trim setting at whatever value you set, most importantly you will feel the difference riding the bike. I do value increments of 10 and for every 10 increments, there’s a noticeable difference in throttle response.

Yeah I just never bothered to check because the bike felt so smooth. Well if you’re in the dc area and need any tips, always happy to help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah I just never bothered to check because the bike felt so smooth. Well if you’re in the dc area and need any tips, always happy to help.
It wasn’t smooth at all when I picked it up. No bike that backfires every second on a downshift with a jerky sputtering throttle is smooth my friend.

You can get away with ecu tuning with an after market exhaust but the moment you open the airbox, you allow way more air in than what the ECU was optimized for. The moment I uploaded the DP map, all the popping, back fires, and sputtering on downshifts disappeared. Tuning the trim settings really helped with the throttle response. Without having this thing dyno’d, I imagine she’s making 120hp at the wheel now. Pulls way harder across the entire power range than it did with the stock ecu and its truly a night and day difference.

I’ll keep it in mind. I’m in NJ. Also if you’re ever up this way, you’re more then welcome to reach out to go for a ride. Be happy to reunite you with your old bike.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I’m right behind ya. Just restored an 04 S4R that was in bad shape. Luckily I didn’t have to pull the heads, but the only original parts are the frame, motor, wiring, and swingarm.

Strong work!
Can’t stress the importance of doing your own work and if you don’t know how, then taking initiative learning to do it. Not only is it very rewarding, you know it’s done to your standard

·
Registered
85 Posts
Also, here’s a few pictures of my old 695. Still miss that bike. That thing was fuuuuun! +-350lb dry weight. Open airbox, Leo Vince pipes from a SuperSport (Much improved mid range power over the 17" Dominator HP1 exhaust it came with), DP ECU map, ran an open breather valve to the airbox where I had a diverter valve installed. I imagine it must of made 80ish HP at the crank. Thing ate corners for breakfast and was the perfect machine for back road twisties. Sold it because what the heck was I to do with two Monsters.

And the good stuff - because sometimes chains break and eat your half case.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It wasn’t smooth at all when I picked it up. No bike that backfires every second on a downshift with a jerky sputtering throttle is smooth my friend.

You can get away with ecu tuning with an after market exhaust but the moment you open the airbox, you allow way more air in than what the ECU was optimized for. The moment I uploaded the DP map, all the popping, back fires, and sputtering on downshifts disappeared. Tuning the trim settings really helped with the throttle response. Without having this thing dyno’d, I imagine she’s making 120hp at the wheel now. Pulls way harder across the entire power range than it did with the stock ecu and its truly a night and day difference.

I’ll keep it in mind. I’m in NJ. Also if you’re ever up this way, you’re more then welcome to reach out to go for a ride. Be happy to reunite you with your old bike.

I am very curious as to what that bike went through after I sold it. I had some popping, but the throttle response was on point.
Did you balance the throttle bodies and oil the throttle cable? Just trying to brainstorm why the experience was so different for me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am very curious as to what that bike went through after I sold it. I had some popping, but the throttle response was on point.
Did you balance the throttle bodies and oil the throttle cable? Just trying to brainstorm why the experience was so different for me.
Maybe popping isn't the right word - there was this forward back lurching on engine braking when downshift even if you rev matched.

I did the whole nine yards...
  • Inspected the rockers and they were pristine - (Almost had a heart attack when I drained the oil if you go back to the drain plug pic. LOL - all those shavings were from the sprag clutch bearing)
  • Valve check - replaced all the closer shims since they were too tight. Openers were fine for the most part. I did replace two or three of them.
  • TPS Reset
  • Throttle body balance
  • New belts w/ tension set to 110hz on the vertical and 108hz on the horizontal.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Maybe popping isn't the right word - there was this forward back lurching on engine braking when downshift even if you rev matched.

I did the whole nine yards...
  • Inspected the rockers and they were pristine - (Almost had a heart attack when I drained the oil if you go back to the drain plug pic. LOL - all those shavings were from the sprag clutch bearing)
  • Valve check - replaced all the closer shims since they were too tight. Openers were fine for the most part. I did replace two or three of them.
  • TPS Reset
  • Throttle body balance
  • New belts w/ tension set to 110hz on the vertical and 108hz on the horizontal.
Sounds like you’re gonna ensure that beauty has a long, fun life ahead of it. I really appreciate it.
Now that I know who has it, I’m fantasizing about buying it back someday.
The desmoquattro heads are a bitch to work on though, at least compared to the testastretta, so working on my sf feels like a breeze.
A deep sump 998 or 999 motor would be a great drop in, just a thought!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sounds like you’re gonna ensure that beauty has a long, fun life ahead of it. I really appreciate it.
Now that I know who has it, I’m fantasizing about buying it back someday.
The desmoquattro heads are a bitch to work on though, at least compared to the testastretta, so working on my sf feels like a breeze.
A deep sump 998 or 999 motor would be a great drop in, just a thought!
It would be easier to buy an s4rs with the 998 engine. Its a lot more than just swapping the engine and the headache is not worth it. Prices are so low on them right now you can snag one for $5.5k-$7k. I have an 1000DS engine that I purchased for this 695 rebuild project. I never installed it because it required too much to make it work with the 695 components.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I went for for a quick jaunt down the coast yesterday, still getting used to everything, compared to my GSX1400 everything seems heightened. I either need a LHS stock mirror or to replace the bar end mirrors with some weighted ones, the vibes put my hands to sleep on the highway at least.
Exhaust, airbox and tune are also in the near future, although I am surprised at how good it sounds stock.

1981 - 2000 of 2040 Posts