Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was the first time I brought my S4R to the race track. It is the same track that I used to ride with my sportbike.
Compare to the handling of my suprtbike, with the same riding line, the S4R is a little bit under steering.
Folks have any suggestion about the setting of the bike??

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
leave it up to the experts, i have a 01 S4 and i paid 50 bucks and let G.M.D. Computrack set my bike up. ask around the track for some help and info. good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
oneducs said:
leave it up to the experts, i have a 01 S4 and i paid 50 bucks and let G.M.D. Computrack set my bike up. ask around the track for some help and info. good luck.
First "mod" would be to slide yourself forward onto the tank and getting as much weight forward as possible when exiting corners, if you aren't already. Lazy riding causes understeer. Next steps would be increasing rear ride height (is it adjustable independent of preload on the S4R?) and raising the forks in the clamps a smidge.

·
Super Moderator
8,249 Posts
Yupp..

Most Monster riders I´ve seen on the track have a few issues.

*Weight distribution - Many monster riders seem to convert from handlebars to clip-ons.
*Ground clearance while cornering - raised rideheight, modified exhaust and higher rearsets are the most frequent mods.

A friend of mine has heavily moddified his monster for track use. He is a VERY serios fellow when it come to modifications.
His homepage: http://www.ebbot.net/ducati/m900crsp/

ALL PHOTOS UNDER COPYRIGHT BY OWNER! NO FURTHER POSTING PLEASE!
His bike

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My first ducati was my monster and I started doing track days with it. The limitatiions became evident immediately. I too had under steer and ground clearance problems. I had the forks resprung and revalved for my weight and bought an ohlins rear shock. I also raised the rear ride height. All these mods helped a bit, but the bike still seemed unsettled in the fast turns. I also was still scraping the pegs and pipes. I decided to not put any more money into the bike and just get a superbike. I bought a used 916 with Ohlin rear shock and just love the way the bike handles on the track. What a big difference in stability. The bike just rails around the turns. It feels well planted on uneven surfaces and really instills confidence going fast. I am sure some have sorted out the handling problems with the monster, but the superbikes were built for racing and there handling perfomance is exemplery. Just dial in the suspension for your weight and you are there.

Mike

·
Registered
84 Posts
I love my M1000 at track days. However, it is more fun on tight tracks as I've noticed a tendency to run wide on fast turns too. I don't do enough track days for that to really bother me yet, but if I start doing lots of track days, I might just have to get my hands on a dedicated track bike of some kind.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bernans4r said:
Yesterday was the first time I brought my S4R to the race track. It is the same track that I used to ride with my sportbike.
Compare to the handling of my suprtbike, with the same riding line, the S4R is a little bit under steering.
Folks have any suggestion about the setting of the bike??

Thanks,
Thanks for advises from all, I will bring my bike to the next Ducati track days and wee what happen then.

Thanks,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep, the monster is fun on the track. Now I know how much the fairing on my last bike did to buck the wind on the straights...

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
i to have had the understeer issue but on the street its quite scairy I have had the bump and rebound set and raised the rear should I lower the front about 5mm or should I go more?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts