Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite an unexpected (and sad) surprise after a good 2 years without riding my Monster S2R 800 2006 (stored in garage): the backwheel moves on its own while on first gear.

Any idea why that would be?

Few more details: new battery, chain cleaned, tank filled and motorcycle hold on centre stand (so that the back wheel is up).
After leaving the engine warming up for a good 15mn, I test the first gear only to realise the back wheel moving on its own, without revving the engine AND won't even stall when releasing the clutch...

Once I put the gear back into neutral, the wheel stops moving...

Any thoughts more than welcome!
Thanks all!

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
That is normal clutch drag, as long as it doesn’t try to move when the lever is pulled in with the wheel on the floor when in gear. If it does that bleed the clutch because it’s been sitting. Sometimes clutch plates stick together but that will probably sort itself out when you try to put it in gear a few times.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Plates will stick together as mentioned when stored for long periods of time. When I recommissioned my 851 after sitting for a few years I took the clutch plates out and reassembled them by flipping the fiber plates over. You could also just do a couple of burnouts or hard launches. Old dirt bike trick was to put the front wheel against something solid and spin the back tire. Not sure I would do that with so much traction from a street tire though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts