Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 2014 Monster 1200 last November with 25xx miles, and have more than doubled that so far. More rides are in order. Every bike I have had since the early 80's has been good fun. But the Monster is better than all of them, including the 5th gen VFR, CBR954, and the 1st and 2nd V twin Tounos, all of which are now sold. Leaving me one sweet bike. >:)

Not necessarily in order of likes, or priority:

1> Power, especially the forward thrust eeeh hah torque.
2> Handling, it rocks and is much lighter than the VFR. The Apes were more similar in weight.
3> Seat height is low, great for my 29" Levis inseam. Getting both feet down flat is much better for confidence than tip toeing. Beats just about every bike I have owned, especially the DRZ400S. LOL.
4> Styling, looks, Italian red. If a bike can be beautiful and sexy, it sure is.
5> SW Motech rack and Givi top case give me a good place to put my stuff. Per George Carlin, I need a place for my stuff.
6> The grins. But that is related to #1 and #2, power thrust buzz that corner eeeeeh hah!
7> I have the Powah! Because it bears preaching to you, the choir.
8> F*** to the Yeah! I bet you know what I mean. :laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dancing through the canyons and the mountain roads.
She sings me a song, she's a singer!
Almost as good as Dio. >:)

Attachments

·
Hammer Down
2020 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
1,849 Posts
Is the Monster your only ride? If so, how many miles do you put on it in a year?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Monster is my only bike at this time. I average around 8,000 miles a year.
Almost all fun, no commuting. I got it last November and have put on about 3,400 miles since. It was in shop for about 7 weeks of that time for a TPS issue, or there would be more miles. It is still below 6,000, but not for long If I have anything to say about it. Which I do. Really want a road trip, which would up the mileage.

A year ago I had a 2007 Tuono, sold in August 2017. A 1998 Honda VFR sold last November with 82,xxx miles, all but 2,0xx of them mine, owned since Feb 1999. And lastly sold the 2003 Tuono sold at the end of April 2018 after 9 1/2 years ownership. I'm glad to have less things owning me.

So as you may guess, I find a thing I like I keep it a long time. The Monster is a keeper for sure. >:)

·
Hammer Down
2020 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
1,849 Posts
I'm the opposite...I don't keep things a long time...lol. I've had my Multi for over 2.5 years which is an eternity for me. BUT, I've got have something comfy to replace it with. So I don't have a good reason other than I want another bike and the Monster is in the mix. I tried the new Speed Triple RS but it wasn't as comfy as the 2013 Speed Triple I had.

My commute is down the hall so all my riding is for fun, like yours.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have already added axle and frame sliders, SW Motech luggage rack and Givi case, and Puig Screen.
Couple other little things I bought, but still need to do.
Why I should be so happy about new levers just ordered and coming in 3-5 weeks for $37 I dunno.
They extend, they fold, they are "Italy color".
Maybe because I have been looking at them for a while..
Maybe because it is happy hour. :laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
6,635 miles on the bike now, and 4,121 on the rear Pirelli Diablo 2. Surprised it lasted so long, the Tuonos ate sport tires in 2,000 miles. Next up an Angel GT to match the front tire which has been on for maybe 2,000 miles. Getting better mileage out of tires would be nice. Guess I'll see. Love this bike. :x

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Before and after. ~ $260 OTD, rode the bike in, rode out.

Afterwards, rode to Harbor Freight and bought hex keys that will fit to remove the muffler.
Just in case I do not already have too many tools. Mine were too big / long to fit the small space.
Problem fixed for next time.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts