Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago I took the 2005 Monster S4R out and it ran fine. Week latter the gears/clutch seemed to occasionally not want to disengage all the way. Readjusting the leaver pull distance was a temporary fix to get me home. Day latter, doesn't disengage all the way even there.

I have attempted to bleed the clutch assuming there is air in the line, and no luck. Looked at several tutorials on how to do it and no matter how I go about it no change at all.

Anyone have any suggestions on areas I might be making a mistake and failing to get all the air out? I followed this tutorial (
) minus the part where he pulls out the rod and works with the nipple on the handle bar (Monster doesn't seem to have one?). Noticed the other nipple was letting air in through the threads when I loosened it, so put a bit of teflon tape around it to stop that making sure to stay way clear of the base of it.

Its also possible I'm barking up the wrong tree and that there is some other issue, but its a pretty simple system as far as I can tell. Anyplace else I should check?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well two things come to mind--both from other non-ducati bikes (my experience).

If a bike sits for a long time the plates can lose the lube, which allows a touch of rust to form on the steels, causing additional friction keeping the plates together which will make the clutch not disengage and so when you go to start it it can jump a bit if its in gear until the rust wears away and the plates are relubed.

And more likely for your case, the plates could be warped. I had a KTM and i thought the clutch needed to be bled, so i bled it and bled it, and still nothing. Well I took the clutch pack out and discovered 2 or 3 discolored plates and one that was big time dished/warped. I suspect this could be your issue.

Hope this helps, sorry I don't have better info, I'm new to Ducati, just bought my first one last week.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would an open clutch cover possibly be a causing factor here? Was thinking of taking it off and replacing it with the stock anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Again out of my realm of experience, i apologize. You may have some debris in the clutch pack. I don't know how commonly this occurs with a dry clutch open cover set up?

Maybe someone else can weigh in for him? I am trying to be helpful but my dry clutch experience is very limited.

:confused:

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
Try cleaning the clutch pack then re-bleed the system. Check out the hall of wisdom on how to do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts