Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a long time lurker. After having perused and procured mountains of information over the years the guilt has finally set in and I have committed myself to finally contributing.

So here goes....

To make a very long story slightly shorter:

I purchased this 2001 Monster 900ie from a friend of a friend for (in 2006 dollars) $2250. Back then that was a hell of a deal, and one given only because the friend of a friend was a nice guy and was really good friends with my friend. Well complicating this deal was the unfortunate fact that my friend had originally offered this deal to one of our mutual friends (confused yet?), but the friend of a friend backed out at the last second (I have no idea why). It came on offer again and I snatched it up, sort of out from under our friends nose. I rode the bike a lot that year and the next, and towards the end of the second year I was getting the itch to get onto the track. I had taken my 996, but lowsided it, which cost me an arm and a leg to repair. At this point guilt (notice the theme?) had also set in that I had snatched this steal-of-a-deal out from under the nose of a good friend, who described the bike as his "dream bike". So serendipity was on his side as he had just purchased a SV650 that I was interested in tracking. So a straight trade was struck, and I had the SV. Suffice it to say, while I liked the SV a lot, it was no Monster and I told the friend to please sell it back to me when he tired of it. Furthermore, it was the bike I had taken my wife on our first date with, so there was some serious nostalgia that had been bestowed upon it. So here is a picture of when I first purchased the bike:

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well around comes 2016, and the friend I had traded the bike to contacted me and said he was getting out of the motorcycle game. So a short ride and a few dollars and the bike was mine again!! The bike at this point was "well loved", never abused, but it had spent a long time out in the weather (10 years to be exact) and it showed. The tank was so rusted I could not even open the gas cap, the brake lines were cracked, there were about 50 acorns in the exhaust, every plastic/painted part was completely sun faded.....you get the picture. Well if you click on the picture you will get it.....

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So as I like a build thread as much as the next guy/girl, I have decided to chronicle all the debacles that went on during my rebuild/modifications. Hopefully, my failures will prevent others from repeating the same mistakes, and maybe, just maybe a thing or two will inspire someone else to get off the couch and do some cool shit to their ride! On with the adventure!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The first step was to take it apart obviously. So I did:

(There is a couple of hints in that photo of my plans for the bike)

As I was taking it apart (fun but not to exciting for the internets I think) I found that everything, and I do mean pretty much everything, was dirty, worn, faded, or broken in some way:

I have never seen the paint on a spring flake like this!

But the inside looked good!

I made sure to take measurements of both the fork position and the rear ride hieght so I could at least set it back to its current state when I was done.

Do those settings look right? The front seems to be pretty far up in the triples and the rear ride height adjusters were on only a small number of threads making me concerned.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
At the end I wanted an engine stand that was something I could break down when I was finished with the project, so a couple of pieces of wood and a couple of shelf brackets later, Viola!

Unfortunately when I was doing a leak down on the engine the front cylinder was showing almost 80%! So off came the front cylinder!

Nothing seemed obviously wrong with the piston or cylinder, I suspect that perhaps the valve was hanging up. After I cleaned it up and put the valves back in with some water in the top nothing seemed to be leaking past, so I felt pretty good about the seats. I will have to put it back together, set the valve clearances and try again I guess.

The cross hatching looked to be in great shape! The picture makes it look like there is some step at the top, there was not thankfully.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the tanks.

As I mentioned when I received the bike the tank was so corroded, I couldn't even open the gas cap. So I had to drill it to get it off:
Very corroded!

The inside of the tank was no better. I have had some success in the past using the KREAM tank restoring kit, until a tank I had done had the lining seperate without me knowing, and the rust continued unnoticed for awhile. So I did not want to use that again. I have also used the POR-15 tank kit (POR-15 Motorcycle Fuel Tank Repair Kit) before to good success so I tried that. Well the rust laughed at that kit. I could have done something wrong, I admit, but I dont know what. So in place of spending more money on another bottle of the POR-15 metal prep, I decided to try some electrolysis (https://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-From-A-Motorcycle-Gas-Ta/. While this seemed to do something, the rust was still chuckling. So. Now I was pissed and not willing to let the tank win. I then read about this stuff: Workshop Hero - Metal Rescue Rust Remover Bath - Dry Coat Rust Prevention
So $50 later I had enough to treat my tank. I followed their online instructions and found to my reasonable surprise that it did a pretty good job:

I forgot to take before pictures (sorry), but in that picture you can see where the pits are from what were little piles of rust. Unfortunately, there was still some rust:

Which I think I could have lived with, however, the biggest issue was some pinholes that showed up at the front of the tank:

So back to the internet, I did a ton of reading and discovered (a little late) this stuff:
Caswell Epoxy Car Gas Tank Sealer - Up to 20 Gal, 1 Quart - Caswell Inc

It claims it will not only stop pinhole leaks, but also it will encapsulate any remaining rust. This was all great, but I thought to myself: "self, what if you can find a tank without pinholes and without rust for around $100? The caswell stuff will cost about the same". To which I replied "self, that is a better idea, why didn't you do that in the first place?".

So I found a tank for around $100 from a 2000 900 ie, with a little bit of a dent on it:

I figured I could just plug it up and pressurize it to pop out the dent....weeellll, that did not work. The dent did not budge an inch, but literally the entire underside poped out, basically ruining the tank. I banged it back in, but it still looked like crap:

So I found another tank for around $100, from a 2001 S4. This one had no rust, no major dents. so ~$300 later I had a $100 tank. The message here is maybe I should have bought an immaculate tank for $300 to begin with. An interesting side note is the fact that there were slight variations between the 3 tanks. All of them were steel obviously, and all of them had an internal fuel pump/filter, but where the filter was positioned was different and also on the 2000 900 ie tank there was an actually drain plug! If any body reading this has attempted to drain an "ie" fuel tank then you know it is a pain in the ass to get all of the fuel out due to the threaded portion of where the fuel level sender attaches to the tank. Why Ducati did not make this a standard feature I have no idea. Anywho. Lessons learned.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You know what man? the tank on my bike needs to be re-sealed (PO used kreme and unfortunately I don't think they did proper rust removal =(.) I think I'm actually going to give that epoxy stuff a try!. Unfortunately my tank has a dent in it and will need to be stiped inside and out with MEK and resprayed. where did you pick up your new tank? I might follow suit.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
An interesting side note is the fact that there were slight variations between the 3 tanks. All of them were steel obviously, and all of them had an internal fuel pump/filter, but where the filter was positioned was different and also on the 2000 900 ie tank there was an actually drain plug!
My bike has an ie tank, it is a Monster 'Metallica' tank in metallic black and has no drain plug, but before I located the (NOS) black tank I was going to use a (used) silver metallic tank, also from a 'Metallica' but the silver tank had a drain plug!

So it seems even in the same model range the presence, or otherwise of a drain plug varies...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ebay. Unfortunately, Ebay. It took a while but they pop up.

You know what man? the tank on my bike needs to be re-sealed (PO used kreme and unfortunately I don't think they did proper rust removal =(.) I think I'm actually going to give that epoxy stuff a try!. Unfortunately my tank has a dent in it and will need to be stiped inside and out with MEK and resprayed. where did you pick up your new tank? I might follow suit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My bike has an ie tank, it is a Monster 'Metallica' tank in metallic black and has no drain plug, but before I located the (NOS) black tank I was going to use a (used) silver metallic tank, also from a 'Metallica' but the silver tank had a drain plug!

So it seems even in the same model range the presence, or otherwise of a drain plug varies...
More on the tank. The two (yellow and the black) were from the same model year as well, 2000. So odd. The S4 one, however, of the 2001 model year (the red tank) does not have a drain either. Here is a pic of the drain for anyone who cares, it is an amazing little doodad:

Plus there are a couple other differences for anyone who cares:

The two 2000 900 ie tanks both have a double spring clip for the fuel pump:

Where as the 2001 S4 is a wider single spring clip. Also the S4 has a clip for the Fuel filter that is right under where the gas cap is.

The two 2000 900 ie tanks also have a much less shallow "groove" in the front at the bottom of the ignition indent:

Where as the 2001 S4 tank has a deeper groove:
Picture too come, forgot to take one last night.

these features do not seem to impact the interchangeability, the only deficit is the S4 tank requires more of the ludicrously expensive ($28/foot!!!) submersible fuel line that I used to rebuild the interior lines:
Gates 27093: Submersible Fuel Line Hose Diameter: 5/16" | JEGS

You really do need it, however, as the line that came out of the tank was replaced with non-submersible and it was severely deteriorated/on the verge of bursting.

I also picked up one of these, which are the OE suppliers for the Ducati fuel filter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GDJSXQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tank front "cut out" differences. I also misspoke a little earlier, my black tank is a 2001 900 ie, sans drain. The yellow tank is a 2000 900 ie tank with drain. Red tank is a 2001 S4 tank again sans drain, larger "cut-out", different fuel pump clip, and clip for fuel filter. For posterity:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Onto the engine

As I mentioned I could not find anything specifically wrong with the head/cylinder/piston. I cleaned the hell out of it, set the valve clearances using these beauties:
MBP Retainers, 8mm, 1 set 8 ea for all 2V-8mm | EMSDUC
Which I highly recommend.

I then slid the piston into the cylinder as the manual suggests setting the spacing according to the manual (which varies considerably over the years from what I could find), but I chose to do the 120deg spacing as that was what I was always taught:
2001 900 ss ie manual:

Carb monster 900 manual (I know they say "circlip" that is clearly a typo):

Monster 800:

My 2002 monster 900 ie manual (I bought it by mistake) agreed with the carb 900/monster 800 manual. No idea why as the 900 ss should have been the same engine?

Everything went together swimmingly:

I installed new ducati o-rings/cylinder base spacer and used this stuff to seal the spacer in contrast to the recommended sealant:
Elring Curil T

The VW/porsche peeps love it for sealing the base gaskets on their cylinders so I thought what the hell, I have it. I will report back on how it works when I fire it up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well. It looks like I will be trying out the sealer as well. The red tank leaks from the hinge at the rear. The universe is definitely conspiring against me on this one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts