Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day!

Just wondering what is the life expectancy of brake pads are in ducati monsters. I've had previous models before but both new and the S4Rs only has 2900 miles and the S2R I sold with about 3000 so never got to the point of changing them.

I recently I purchased a used M900 with 8700 miles. It has about 4mm of pad still left up front. So questions are:

1) I know life expectancy for brake pads depends on the rider but in average how many miles does it take before a change in pads for a monster?

2) Seeing how there is still about 4mm of pad remaining, how many miles until I eat them up? This bike is riden fairly easy and not hard on the brakes. I am just a bit worried since ECM is comming up and I dont want to run out of brakes while in the trip. Also I dont think there is enough time to get it to a mechannic before ECM.

·
Registered
77 Posts
As a basic rule I say pads last 2 to 3 front tires. If you eat up tires you eat up brakes, if you tires last forever so will the brakes.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Brake pads are relatively cheap, and a very easy job for a do it yourselfer.

Most important is finding a pad that gives good life. I am partial to Vesrah pads, but to each his own.

I would be more worried about the condition of my brake fluid. If old, could lead to a mushy lever.

You might want to pm wonway and see if he will bring down his power bleeder. someone said they were bringing a compresser, so maybe do a quick fluid change.
Actually, you have time to get a set of pads in to take with you. There will be enough people there that could help you.

I always take a spare set of pads when I go to the Gap, just as insurance.

Really, about a 15 minute job to switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts