Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 monster 821 started with the infamous Engine Check Light (ECL) issue that was traced to the Ride-by-wire throttle Control. The RBW Throttle control was changed and I used the bike for about 4 months without any issue. The ECL showed up recently and I used the Ducatidiag diagnostic tool to check the error code. The DTC Code – 1605 Keep Alive Memory Test Failure was recorded within the PCM.

Already carried out the following:

• I have checked the battery terminals the starter solenoid. They are OK
  • I have have also swapped the rectifier with another working bike. This is works fine and is charging well
  • I have checked all the relays associated with the engine control and all looks OK. I did some swapping of the main relays, all working fine
  • I have. Checked the main ground connections. It is very tight and ok
  • I have swap the PCM with a another monster 821. Issue persist.
Need help
I have search the WEB for solution without success. I am wondering if there is anybody out there that have the solution or suggestions that could help in the issue resolution. Thanks for your anticipated help,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It is good for me to also add that the CHECH ENGINE LIGHT- CEL comes on when the engine is TEMPERATURE is above 80 Deg Centigrade

·
Registered
91 Posts
How old is the battery? If it's the original factory battery then it's most likely the cause of the "memory test" failure. On startup the starter pulls all the juice from the weak battery and you get the DTC. Use voltmeter and see what the voltage is with engine off. If it's close to 12V then the battery is weak. If it's 12.8/12.9 to 145V then the battery should be good.

Then start the bike and see how much the voltage drops on startup. If it goes below 10/11 V the battery is done.

Finally measure the voltage while you keep the rpms close to 5K and see if you get around 14V charge. If you get 14V the charging system is OK. If you get lower value then check the connections for oxydation and check the wiring for any cuts of insulation tear and check the rectifier connections and how hot is it. Ducati rectifiers have tendency to burn.

Finally you may think about getting the rectifier replaced with MOSFET rectifier. ShinDengen rectifiers with appropriate cables are sold here: MOSFET Rectifiers - RoadsterCycle

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think your over looking everything...I think your too dependant on software...I think you forgot to reconnect the fans...if not the fans another clip...stop...take a breath...go step by step...your error only exists in the software your using...before you embark...have a nice cup of coffee...it will help your focus...ditch your software...tell me what you see

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How old is the battery? If it's the original factory battery then it's most likely the cause of the "memory test" failure. On startup the starter pulls all the juice from the weak battery and you get the DTC. Use voltmeter and see what the voltage is with engine off. If it's close to 12V then the battery is weak. If it's 12.8/12.9 to 145V then the battery should be good.

Then start the bike and see how much the voltage drops on startup. If it goes below 10/11 V the battery is done.

Finally measure the voltage while you keep the rpms close to 5K and see if you get around 14V charge. If you get 14V the charging system is OK. If you get lower value then check the connections for oxydation and check the wiring for any cuts of insulation tear and check the rectifier connections and how hot is it. Ducati rectifiers have tendency to burn.

Finally you may think about getting the rectifier replaced with MOSFET rectifier. ShinDengen rectifiers with appropriate cables are sold here: MOSFET Rectifiers - RoadsterCycle
Thanks for the information.
I will recheck everything and give you feedback later today. I will also perform rectifier testing on the rectifier and revert.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think your over looking everything...I think your too dependant on software...I think you forgot to reconnect the fans...if not the fans another clip...stop...take a breath...go step by step...your error only exists in the software your using...before you embark...have a nice cup of coffee...it will help your focus...ditch your software...tell me what you see
😂. FAN is reconnected very well. Yes, you might be right. I will use this weekend to check each of the Power component. Thanks for your contribution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts