Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my '04 Monster 800 for 12 years now, and I've always tolerated the constant whirring that the primary drive makes. It's the only model of Ducati I've ever heard that makes it, so I chalked it up to a feature that is confined to that particular engine... until I heard my buddy's 2017 Scrambler 800. Same engine, but obviously the primary drive must differ internally because his bike only sounds awesome. Mine (largely thanks to Mivv Slip-ons) sounds awesome above 3000rpm but that whirring is pretty noticeable down low and at idle.

The Scrambler is a lot less jerky at low speed too (1st and 2nd in urban environment).

Can anyone tell me what Ducati changed to the 803cc engine and drive train that makes it so much more awesome? I'm curious if - once the old girl needs a rebuild - if I can re-fit her guts with whatever configuration the Scrambler is using, because it sure feels better (and sounds pretty).

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Is that even the same motor ? Isn’t yours a 2 valve and his a 4 valve ? Anyway, I believe Ducati did a lot to control noise on the newer motors because of increasingly strict laws around the globe. One of the reasons dry clutches went away.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
if you go here - Ducati Spare Parts - and put in m800 2003 and go to crankshaft you'll see the primary drive gear for the end of the crank looks like it's a scissor gear, which is where a thin gear is fitted to the outer edge of the gear and spring loaded so as to remove backlash in the gear set. it's meant to reduce the noise, but can sometimes do what you're experiencing.

if you go to 2017 scrambler (under "connecting rod"), you'll see it shows a solid gear.

that's indicative sometimes, but that's where i'd start.

pull the little scissor gear off the primary drive crank gear. you probably need to remove the nut and washer to get the scissor off, which will require a special 4 prong socket for the nut.

as for the low speed jerky, sounds like the m800 is just not well set up. the scrambler is closed loop, so no tune set up to be done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that even the same motor ? Isn’t yours a 2 valve and his a 4 valve ? Anyway, I believe Ducati did a lot to control noise on the newer motors because of increasingly strict laws around the globe. One of the reasons dry clutches went away.
Negative. They're both 2v. I don't recall Ducati ever putting 4v on the 800cc (803) engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you go here - Ducati Spare Parts - and put in m800 2003 and go to crankshaft you'll see the primary drive gear for the end of the crank looks like it's a scissor gear, which is where a thin gear is fitted to the outer edge of the gear and spring loaded so as to remove backlash in the gear set. it's meant to reduce the noise, but can sometimes do what you're experiencing.

if you go to 2017 scrambler (under "connecting rod"), you'll see it shows a solid gear.

that's indicative sometimes, but that's where i'd start.

pull the little scissor gear off the primary drive crank gear. you probably need to remove the nut and washer to get the scissor off, which will require a special 4 prong socket for the nut.

as for the low speed jerky, sounds like the m800 is just not well set up. the scrambler is closed loop, so no tune set up to be done.
Indeed, I see what you're saying. Looks as though the diameter of the solid gear on the Scrambler is different, which begs the question "will it fit under the cover?" I don't recall a difference in dimensions between the two when they were side by side, though on the Scrambler it appeared milled while mine looks cast. More research will be required. Thanks for this... I really hope I can eliminate this noise one day.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
i was going to type something disparaging, but really didn't have the heart when it came to it.:frown2:
Why would you do that ? I was asking the question for someone like you to answer ( know all wanker ) . I’m 75 miles from the closest dealer. I’ve been in a Ducati dealer twice in my life. I’m not really up on the models I have no interest in. I’m starting to see a trend here.:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts