Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand the appeal of this bike, esp when compared to the old 796 Monster. They are both air cooled 803cc twins and after dropping the single sided swingarm and going with a dual swingarm it certainly doesn't look better. The 797 weighs more, has less hp as well as less torque:

796: 87 hp, 58 ft/lbs torque, 373 lbs dry (ABS model)
797: 75 hp, 50.8 ft/lbs, 386 lbs dry​

They even have the same 7500 service interval so other than new bike warranty why would anyone buy this over a lightly used "old" model? Has anyone done a comparo between the 2 bikes?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Newer design, electronics package. Not everyone buys used or older bikes (I do though lol). So for the “my first ducati” crowd it could be appealing I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
...and, personally, the high and tight exhaust (on the 796) looks 10000x better than that weirdo shorty heel burner. But that's just me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Newer design, electronics package. Not everyone buys used or older bikes (I do though lol). So for the “my first ducati” crowd it could be appealing I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought about electronics but I checked and the 797 doesn't have riding modes either. I was perusing cycletrader and found a 2014 ABS model w/Termis and only 200 miles on the clock going for $8100. Seems like a no brainer to me

·
Registered
22 Posts
Love my 2014 796! Picked it up used last spring for $7k, 1500 miles and $1500 worth of extras. Sold my 2013 Hyperstrada, was not a big fan of all the electronics.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
When I got my '13 last year I was actually surprised at the amount of electronics and emission controls on what I consider an entry-level sport bike. Catalytic converters and O2 sensors, DDA and an immobilizer, TPS, all along with ABS and the digital dash.

·
Registered
249 Posts
This bike appeal’s to those of us who loved the original style Monsters but wanted something new or looks like the update the Monster should of been.

My 2003 M800 was an absolutely awesome bike so I love the 803, it has a full trellis frame which I love, Metal tank which I love, and DSS which I love.

When I get a new to me Monster I hope it’s a M900 how’re if it were the newer Monsters this would be the one! I guess this is for the 40+ crowd!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I might be able to help out since I just bought one. I think you're looking at it the wrong way - they didn't replace the 796, the brought it back as the 797, and in the process returned a bike to the lineup that has a more relaxed riding position, retains the air cooled simplicity, and lack of computer controlled rider modes in the 821.

HP is down a bit, which is unfortunate. The metal tank is a must have for people that live in areas where they cannot find gasoline without ethanol in it. The upswept pipes are a matter of taste I suppose, from a visual standpoint I like the pipes on the 796 better.

Now take into account discounts at the dealer, cash back from Ducati, zero miles, full two year warranty, and pick any color you like, and you have an idea why some people are buying new ones instead of used 797's or older 796's.

Either way, there is no right or wrong, as long as they all get ridden, and the sport is alive and well, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I might be able to help out since I just bought one. I think you're looking at it the wrong way - they didn't replace the 796, the brought it back as the 797, and in the process returned a bike to the lineup that has a more relaxed riding position, retains the air cooled simplicity, and lack of computer controlled rider modes in the 821.
No, I think you are correct that the 797 is the new 796, that's obvious, and I'm glad they made it a 797, not a 697... if you see what I mean. I just wish it had more of the 796 in it... like the SSS and the high-mount exhaust. I AM envious of the steel tank, though...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts