Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

Just joined this forum a few days ago, and just passed my riders safety/skills basic training over the weekend. My friend and I took the class together and really enjoyed it. He's been riding offroad for ~12 years. Friday was my second time on a bike.

I come from a background of fast cars (anywhere from 250-550 rwhp), so I have a healthy respect for what accelerations can do. Taking away two wheels only heightens my sensitivity and respect.

That said, I don't want to hop into something beyond what a new rider should have. I really like the looks of the Monster series bikes. I've been looking at the 796 primarily because it seems like a healthy middle of the road between something I could start with, and something that I'd be happy with a year down the road. While I don't want something too big, I also don't want to be shopping again 6-12 months down the road.

I'd also like to pick up the ABS model. After a few 'controlled' rear skids during class, I definitely see the advantage of being able to mash both brakes in a straight line stop, rather than mentally working through a progressive gain on the front, and progressive release on the rear, especially in a pinch situation.

Any thoughts from you more experienced riders on the 796 for someone like myself?

Thanks all and happy riding!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get a 1199 Panigale instead, perfect beginner bike...with TC and ABS it's the perfect beginner bike :D
Done! Went out and bought two actually. :p

Thanks for the link mykim. Looks like some are for and some against the idea, but it probably just comes down to how responsible I am as a driver.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey mate,

The fact you have had fast cars doesn't put you ahead of any other new rider as far as riding skills go. Not trying to bust your balls, I'm just putting that out there as overconfidence will get you in trouble.

I suggest learning to ride on a less powerful, non ABS bike personally. This way you will learn proper technique and be prepared in the event you get a non ABS bike down the track. Personally, my first bike was a 250 ninja, as was a lot of other people's.

That said, I've never ridden a 796, but I think the 696 is a very rider friendly bike so as long as a 796 isn't much more powerful it will probably be a viable choice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey mate,

The fact you have had fast cars doesn't put you ahead of any other new rider as far as riding skills go. Not trying to bust your balls, I'm just putting that out there as overconfidence will get you in trouble.

I suggest learning to ride on a less powerful, non ABS bike personally. This way you will learn proper technique and be prepared in the event you get an ABS bike down the track. Personally, my first bike was a 250 ninja, as was a lot of other people's.

That said, I've never ridden a 796, but I think the 696 is a very rider friendly bike so as long as a 796 isn't much more powerful it will probably be a viable choice.
I don't disagree that in terms of riding skills fast cars didn't put me ahead. What that history does give me is a healthy respect for power, as well as throttle control, and what the improper application of throttle, at the wrong time, can do. I appreciate the overconfidence statement, as I imagine that's what gets a LOT of new riders in trouble. I'm good about driving within my limits, and intend to take more classes and participate in track days so I can push those limits in a controlled environment, rather than on the street.

I honestly don't ever plan on owning or riding a non-ABS bike, so I don't see the benefit of owning one other than to reinforce the realization that ABS is indeed better. I can't imagine a situation where I "need" to ride one. I rode one for 8 hours over the weekend, and while it isn't a replacement for months of experience, it was enough to show me that ABS is indeed better. The proper technique is dictated by the technology available. Many performance driving schools (for cars) today don't teach brake pulsation. They do unplug the ABS on a skidpad to show you the differences, but aside from that, the non-ABS days are gone, except in cases where people are specifically learning to drive/rally older cars. The more time I spend learning those old braking skills is more time I'll need to spend learning to break them (no pun intended).

Thanks for the comments. They are much appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your set on a monster go for the 1100 evo. More bang for your buck, and comes standard with ABS and DTC
Not to be "that" guy when it comes to talking about Ducati's, but from my reading it seems like the 1100EVO gets significantly worse MPG than the 796. That + the relatively small tank size could make it a pain having to refill every 100 miles.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
303 Posts
insurance is a little more on the evo too...796 is the easiest bike ive ever rode...but i started with sport bikes...so...

my advice would be test ride them all...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
insurance is a little more on the evo too...796 is the easiest bike ive ever rode...but i started with sport bikes...so...

my advice would be test ride them all...
Yeah I've gotten some quotes through GEICO for the 796.

It ranges from $268 per year for the state minimum, to $1360 something per year for the same coverage as my car (250k/500k, $0 deduct, etc).

I'll probably settle middle of the road somewhere if I go the Monster route, and opt for Comprehensive, some medical + state required liability/uninsured.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do it...

As a fella who bought a M796 as his first bike, recently wrecked it, and will be getting another M796 as a replacement, I say "do it". :D The bike is incredible and isn't difficult for a beginner to learn on. It's a little expensive, especially if your crash, so it really depends on your finances (i.e. is it a bike you can afford to repair if something happened?). I'm not sure if an 1100 evo would be wise, but you can't go wrong with a 796 (or a 696).

Regarding the insurance, you might want to consider increasing the deductible. I got a great plan from Progressive (who I recommend) with a $1,000 deductible and it didn't break the bank. You'll probably find that even a $500 deductible will greatly improve your rates. From the insurer's perspective, a customer requesting no deductible either plans to use their insurance a lot or can't afford to repair the vehicle on their own, hence the higher rates.

Anecdotally, getting a Monster was one of the best decisions in my life. :)

(Note: don't let my crash discourage you; it was unrelated to the bike being a M796.)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not to be "that" guy when it comes to talking about Ducati's, but from my reading it seems like the 1100EVO gets significantly worse MPG than the 796. That + the relatively small tank size could make it a pain having to refill every 100 miles.

Thoughts?
I usually get between 40-50 mpg....Never ridden a 796 so cant compare fuel economy.796 fuel tank with abs is same size as 1100 evo tank 3.6 gallons. non abs 796 is slightly larger at 3.8 gallons. so you may get a little more mileage between stops.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Whoa! Easy there, Cowboy. Too much motorcycle for a beginner.

I, too, recall my first days as a rider. I was (am) good behind the wheel, can ride horses, and figured I could graft those skills onto a bike.

Big Mistake. Bought an '03 Honda 600RR. Rode well for a week, then low sided it, smashing the bike and my left elbow into pieces.

Buy an older Ducat Monster, like a 620, on the cheep, and be prepared to go down.

The old saw holds true. "There are Two Types of Motorcycle Riders..."

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like a little from column A and a little from column B. Guess I'll need to ride one and see how it feels.

Red Duc, did you have any formal riding training or experience before buying and sliding the Honda?

·
Registered
303 Posts
actually dont test ride anything other than the 796 and see how you like it...i was so close to getting a street fighter 848...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
actually dont test ride anything other than the 796 and see how you like it...i was so close to getting a street fighter 848...
I have to say I LOVE the look of the Streetfighter. The Ducati shop I went to had this sitting there. Drool! :eek: Not sure how comfortable it is, but it's sexy enough I almost don't care :). Probably more bike than I need, especially as a beginner.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts