Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Monster 750 sat for about 10 years before I got it back on the road last spring. I'm still working on it, so have only put about 60 miles on it since I got it on the road (chain and tires last week, goes in next week for new timing belts). The PO had drained the carbs before storing the bike for 10 years. I did not take apart the carbs, just added fuel, changed fuel filter and oil and installed a new battery.

When it sits outside in the sun, the left side carb leaks fuel out of the drain hole. I removed the drain screw and cleaned off a little varnish and reinstalled, but it's still leaking fuel. Is there an o-ring that is supposed to go on the drain screw? Is it possible that the float is sticking and the overflow fuel is coming out of the drain? I haven't taken the carbs off/apart and am hoping I don't have to. If it's just a rubber O ring, that would make things easy. I checked on a parts diagram and I can see the head of the drain screw, but can't see if there is an O ring. It's page 18 at this link:

https://issuu.com/ducatiomaha/docs/m...22863/10928016

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
After sitting 10 years I’d be surprised if the carbs didn’t leak. I looked at the drawing and I don’t see a seal. I haven’t messed with mine in years and don’t remember. But I’ll tell you what else might cause the leak :
1) float sticking or out of adjustment
2) float needle not sealing
3) gasket between float bowl and carb leaks
4) gasket between the needle and seat holder and carb body leaks, in which case fuel will bypass the needle/ seat and go straight into the float bowl, overflowing it.
The best thing you can do for yourself is totally rebuild the carbs, and add a Factory Pro tuning kit. You’ll be so happy ! 😁

1 - 2 of 2 Posts