Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, i am interested in getting 1 of these monsters and im just wondering if they can beat any of these bikes head on or even close? im not sure thats y i am asking.

DUCATI MONSTER 696
vs
HONDA CBR600RR
SUZUKI GSX-R600
YAMAHA YZF-R6 /YZF-R6F

can it compare to these bikes or is it totally different?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Um, haha, no, these bikes are not comparable as far as all out speed goes. The Monster 696 runs a 1/4 mile in about the mid 12's

The bikes you've listed run the 1/4 mile in the mid to high 10's

They are totally different animals. The Duc is more about comfort and style. The sportbikes are all about extreme perfomance/speed/handling.

I got a GSX-R750 and I can't ride for more than 20 minutes without getting sore.

I also have a M1100 and it's much slower, but in many ways more fun to ride because it's more comfortable, sounds unique, and its got that hooligan cred.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have had an R6, an R1, and a Monster 1100. All fun bikes but the M1100 makes me grin from ear to ear everytime I ride it and I can do 200 miles on it no sweat. The R6 was fun but if I had to rank the 3 would be way down the list. So it depends on what you want to do with it. If you are looking for a good track bike or all out speed then maybe the R6 is the way to go. I sold the R6 last year so now I take the R1 to the track and I take the M1100 on the road trips and around town.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ic thats kinda what i thought... there like the cadillac of sport bikes. i was looking into getting a great all around bike! one that i could ride to work every morning and take to the track on friday nights to rip around a 2.2mile course with my friends. the ducati catch's my eye because i love the way they look and sound.

another question.
Does the ducati 848 sound more like a reasonable answer to those bikes class? if not is there really any ducati that isnt +30 000G's that is crazy fast?

reason im asking is because some of my friends have gotten those new bikes (honda, yamaha, suzuki) and i want a ducati that can keep up or even whoop em and still have that SOUND! of a ducati :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
yeah i would say if you want a duc to keep up with your sportbike friends, perhaps an 848, 1198, or a streetfighter would be your bike. the streetfighter would be the most comfortable

·
Registered
133 Posts
The StreetFighter will stomp all of those bikes you mentioned (and maybe even my R1). It is the 1098 engine from the superbikes. Something like 155HP at the crank. Very fast and a nice compromise between the Monster and the 1098 or 1198. I came this close to buying it instead of the Monster until I got the $2,900 quote for the insurance.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Get an 848. It's designed to be an affordable Ducati sportbike and compete against Japanese 600s.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've heard that the 696 can hang with those bikes up to about 100, then they kind of leave it standing still, any truth to that?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've heard that the 696 can hang with those bikes up to about 100, then they kind of leave it standing still, any truth to that?
I doubt the 696 could. My Hyper 1100 can hang with my brothers S4RS up until about 100 km/h if I get a good launch. After that, he just walks away from me.

·
Registered
156 Posts
TO absolutely with out a doubt nail a Jap bike you would need a 1098 1198 or SF.
848 nice bike but just not powerful enough, lots of videos of it being humiliated by Jap 750s, it doesn't have the legs, but it does handle. I looked into buying an 848 to replace my GSXR 750 but couldn't see the point in going slower everywhere. The SF is awesome, but then so is the MV Brutale 1078RR Monsters aren't built to do the same kind of riding as you would on a sport bike but they are Sooooooooo much fun which is why I bought a M1100S over a SF and Brutale and kept the GSXR for the track, best of both worlds.:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
No, the jap 600 is much quicker. Below are some numbers. 140km/h = 88mph and 200km/h = 125mph.

2009 Monster 696
Test in Motorrad 11/2009
Leergewicht vollgetankt 185 kg
0 - 70 km/h - s
0 - 100 km/h 4,2 s
0 - 120 km/h - s
0 - 140 km/h 7,4 s
0 - 150 km/h - s
0 - 160 km/h - s
0 - 180 km/h - s
0 - 200 km/h 23,6 s

2009 Yamaha R6
Test in Motorrad 09/2008
Gewicht vollgetankt 193 kg
0 - 70 km/h - s
0 - 100 km/h 3,5 s
0 - 120 km/h - s
0 - 140 km/h 5,2 s
0 - 150 km/h - s
0 - 160 km/h - s
0 - 180 km/h - s
0 - 200 km/h 9,7 s

·
Registered
221 Posts
Comparing a M696 to an R6, CBR, etc. is like comparing an import to a muscle car.

The 696 just does not have the top end speed/power that a true sportbike like an R6 has.

But, what is does have is handling, comfort, and uniqueness. I can easily dust a friend who has a Yamaha on the twisties... He just cant handle like I can the 696

Everyone and their mom rolls around my city on yamahas, hondas, and suzukis.. You cant go around the block without seeing one...But since I have had my bike, I have seen one, maybe two Ducs.... That is, and was, enough to make me choose the 696

·
Registered
180 Posts
The 848 is directly aimed at the bikes you listed. I feel way better on my M1100 than any bike I've owned and I couldn't or wouldn't ride a bike any faster in real life situations. I'm very glad now with my age that I don't give a damn about what my friends ride or drive like a fool on the street. I want to be riding a bike for a very long time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't buy a Monster for speed. Period. If you want balls out, nut-so acceleration, buy a Japanese 600 sportbike of any make. It will smoke a 696. If you want a bike that you don't see everyday, sounds great, looks great, handles great, and has that certain Je ne se quoi about it, buy the Monster. I've been riding for 15 years and have owned a number of Japanese inline 4s. Great and fun bikes, but after owning an '03 620 for 5 months, I don't believe I could ever go back. Just the looks and attention you get on it, it's crazy how many people (including hotties) approach you and ask questions. I've never owned a Ferrari, but I imagine it's on par with that. That being said, be sure you core your stock pipes, or get Termi's, something that draws a little attention, sound wise.

hey all, i am interested in getting 1 of these monsters and im just wondering if they can beat any of these bikes head on or even close? im not sure thats y i am asking.

DUCATI MONSTER 696
vs
HONDA CBR600RR
SUZUKI GSX-R600
YAMAHA YZF-R6 /YZF-R6F

can it compare to these bikes or is it totally different?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ya, I've never owned a street bike before until I bought my 696 last September (2008). I've had more people say to me, "Nice bike..." and ask questions then I ever really expected. Pretty cool feeling when you get compliments and my bike is still pretty stock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts