Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Noob here. I'm seriously comtemplating getting a monster. However I am torn between the 696 and 1100. Here's a little background about me:

height/weight: 5'8"/140lbs
riding experience: 9 years
rides: 1994 GSX-R750 (previous ride), 2004 GSX-R750 (current ride which I will keep)
type of riding: weekend toy

I don't need something with tons of power (that's what the Suzuki is for), but just something to ride to church with on Sundays and kind of have fun on the weekends. Considering my riding experience, I don't know if the 696 will feel underpowered to me or will it be enough.

I ride about 1,500 miles a year, which if I get the Ducati, it would then be split between the two bikes.

I wish I could say price is no object, but it's a factor (when is price not a factor?). Can anyone who's ridden one (or two) of these bikes chime in? And are there any differences between the two other than power?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
I love my 696, I have had the opportunity as well to ride a 1100. The biggest thing that I noted was that my 696 seemed lighter when in the twisties, I know the bikes only have about a 20 pound difference, but I think it is noticeable. The 1100 is also bigger height wise, the seat is something like 1.5 inches higher, and the swing arm is slightly longer to accommodate the single side. The 1100 will rip you Shlt less if you are not ready though, unbelievable torque and power delivery.

In your case, seeing as you already have the power bike, get the 696, drop the front sprocket to a 14t and get termis, you will not be disappointed! Not only will it save you money up front, it will be cheaper to insure, and you can really squeeze it for gas millage. (I can get about 55-60mpg in the twisties!)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love my 696, I have had the opportunity as well to ride a 1100. The biggest thing that I noted was that my 696 seemed lighter when in the twisties, I know the bikes only have about a 20 pound difference, but I think it is noticeable. The 1100 is also bigger height wise, the seat is something like 1.5 inches higher, and the swing arm is slightly longer to accommodate the single side. The 1100 will rip you Shlt less if you are not ready though, unbelievable torque and power delivery.

In your case, seeing as you already have the power bike, get the 696, drop the front sprocket to a 14t and get termis, you will not be disappointed! Not only will it save you money up front, it will be cheaper to insure, and you can really squeeze it for gas millage. (I can get about 55-60mpg in the twisties!)
Thanks for the info, this helps. So it seems the 696 has ample power. Anyone else?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I went for a test ride on an 1100 and I'm currently on a 750 v-twin (Aprilia Shiver)

I have to say that the power delivery was there but I wasn't "surprised" by the bike at all. After I started riding around I felt totally safe on it. Though I will say when I saw bumps coming up I feathered the clutch because when your hand twitches even a little bit the bike jerks :D

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have a Hypermotard S (same 1100cc engine as the Monster) and I'm trading it in for a Monster pretty soon. I test rode both the 696 and the 1100 to get a feel for both. To me, the 696 felt gutless. I twisted the throttle, the bike made a lot of noise but not much happened.

The 1100cc motor is awesome. The torque is like riding a huge wave right off idle. It just pulls right out of the hole. I find it so easy to ride in the twisties and around town with a motor like that. It's like getting kicked from corner to corner or stop light to stop light.

I wouldn't be suprised if you wanted to get rid of the Suzuki after riding the Monster for a while. It's the perfect real world bike in my opinion. The only thing it really lacks is wind protection for cruising above 130 km/h. If I'm riding agressively, wind isn't a problem since I'm tucked down and blasting from corner to corner. It's only when I get on the highway and want to sit and cruise that the wind gets annoying.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Spyderco, you really need to go ride both yourself. Some here say 1100 has plenty of power, but with 1000km under my belt, I felt my 1100 isn't powerful enough and have ordered a Streetfighter. Everyone has a different perception of power. I will probably keep my Monster though as it is a heck of a bike in the twisties. The tighter it gets, the better it is. But on straighter bends or straight roads, I just wanted more power.

PS: I hope your church is not full of conservative oldies. Oldies hate my bike as it is NOISY! :D

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Spyderco, you really need to go ride both yourself. Some here say 1100 has plenty of power, but with 1000km under my belt, I felt my 1100 isn't powerful enough and have ordered a Streetfighter.
I agree with Way completely.
I own an 1100 S and have logged a couple of hundred miles on its' baby brother. The 1100 gives you that wonderful feeling of God's hand at your back right off idle. However, like Way, i find that the party ends far sooner than i would like... particularly on the highway.

As i scoot a great number of coastal roads with barely a straight section in sight, i find the 1100 to be fantastic.

If i were doing a ton of urban scooting, I'd choose the 696. It's less snatchy
off of the go and generally less work when things get congested. It will acquit itself just fine in the twisty stuff albeit with less of a grin factor.

Get yourself to a dealer and toss a leg over them both.

It's the only way you're going to know for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Great advice above!

Honestly, since you have a gixxer 750 I would be surprised if you weren't a little disappointed with the power of the 696. Great for in town, as mentioned above, but you won't have enough juice to, for example, widen your line with the throttle in the fast sweepers - there just isn't enough on tap when you get up over 60 mph or so. It really is a step down in terms of the total riding experience. Makes the right Ducati noises and all that, but the power is more beginner level - maybe not right for you. You also give up having any adjustability of the front suspension. A rider with your experience may miss that.

The 1100 on the other hand is a completely different world. If you normally ride in that 50 to 80 mph window, it will be a dream - plenty of torque on hand to do what you need to do, even at the higher speeds within that window, and also good grunt for those brief forays up into the Go Directly to Jail zone. There really isn't any comparison between the two for that type of riding. Putting around town and going to church (really?), either one will do. The 1100 also has the fully adjustable Showas - rear suspension is the same, preload and rebound adjustment only. Oh, and don't forget the cool single sided swingarm on the 1100.

Honestly, from the info you provided, I would suggest a used S2R1000 if it came down to either that or the 696. Beautiful bike (once you replace the cow's udder cat with a midpipe), and plenty of snot - the DS1000 motor is sweet - everything I said above about the 1100 applies.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks for the insight guys, all good! From what I'm reading, I'm kind of leaning towards the 1100 because of the power increase. Considering that I'm already addicted to 100+ horsepower at the wheel, the 696 might feel a little underpowered.

Call me dumb, but I'm more than just a little aprehensive to take them out for a test ride. I'm too afraid I might drop it or something :eek: From reading the multiple reviews online I'm certain I want a Monster, just wasn't sure about which one. But it's looking like the 1100 might be the one for me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with Way completely.
I own an 1100 S and have logged a couple of hundred miles on its' baby brother. The 1100 gives you that wonderful feeling of God's hand at your back right off idle. However, like Way, i find that the party ends far sooner than i would like... particularly on the highway.

As i scoot a great number of coastal roads with barely a straight section in sight, i find the 1100 to be fantastic.

If i were doing a ton of urban scooting, I'd choose the 696. It's less snatchy
off of the go and generally less work when things get congested. It will acquit itself just fine in the twisty stuff albeit with less of a grin factor.

Get yourself to a dealer and toss a leg over them both.

It's the only way you're going to know for sure.
This one is SUPER nice by the way!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts