Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
at my 41 000 km suddenly I got pretty bad noises from around my engine, while riding so took it very slowly to my garage (about 30km ride), removed covers and found out the vertical belt tensioner bearing completely smashed - bearing balls were all around under the cover. Looking at the rust on the tensioners, I assume they were not changed every time the belts were changed.

First question - Do I change both tensioners and pulleys now, or just tensioners as pulleys look pretty good?

Second question - bike was not affected in performance in my opinion, just bad noise. If belt skipped a tooth, do you think I have problem with the engine inside?

Please see photos attached, Thanks! 馃槉

IMG-1363.jpg IMG-1364.jpg IMG-1365.jpg

Registered
it's not uncommon. replace what needs to be replaced. i doubt very much it'd need pullies, no reason for a pulley to get damaged unless a ball has gone through, in which case the damage should be obvious.

generally if a belts misses a tooth shit hits shit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's not uncommon. replace what needs to be replaced. i doubt very much it'd need pullies, no reason for a pulley to get damaged unless a ball has gone through, in which case the damage should be obvious.

generally if a belts misses a tooth shit hits shit.
Sorry for being dumb, but... :)
I am in awesomely huge dilemma about taking it to professional service, or just order the tensioners and belts, and do it myself, I have tools and garage and everything, but, it will still be my first serious stuff done myself (don't count changing oils, batteries, filters and so on)..:

1. If the belt missed a tooth, was I supposed to be driving fine 30 km with no significant power loss, just bad noise (sounding like old, gone bad diesel engine)?
2. If the belt missed a tooth, I am not sure about what's being done with "valve adjustment", "synchronizing the throttle bodies"..

Do you think I should dive in some reading, or just taking it to service where they might check the engine too?

Thanks again! :)

Registered
the 696 doesn't have any timing marks for the cams, so you can't tell at a quick glance if the cam has moved. but you can use the aligning hole in the other end of the cam to see if they're both aligned at the same time as the mark on the timing shaft pulley.

if you remove the timing belts (make some marks first) and do a leakdown test without the belts on that will tell you if the valves are bent.

this is part 3 of my videos on the 696 engines -

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I watched the video twice, but I could not clarify that stupid question in my head - how would know if the vertical belt skipped a tooth using the alignment holes, I have only the little dots marks on the pulleys and no other marks to compare, somewhere static. What the procedure would be, count the teeth on both belts, pulleys of something..

Also I opened the cover on the alternator bearing and saw a little amount of engine oil under the cover and around the bearing - should I have engine oil there at all, doesn't it mean that the stator is flooded with oil too, or I am in mistake? Thanks, sorry for being amateur, but we all have to start somewhere .. 馃嵒 馃浀

Registered
i had to watch the video to find out what i'd said. man i find myself boring.

how to tell if it's skipped a tooth? line the crank up at tdc horizontal firing, lock it up with the right tool is the most accurate way. then pull the plug in the cam end cap and look for the slot in the cam or fit the tool. exactly like i said. not sure how else to explain it.

there are no dots to line the cams up with on the belt side.

oil under the crank end cap is how it's meant to be.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, I'd buy you a beer if you were around, if you come by Bulgaria by any reason - be my guest 馃嵒 :)

Got it, I am off sync definitely.. Waiting for new belts and tensioners delivery, I will read/watch more till they come, adjust valves and see how it sounds/rides.... then eventually will do a compression test if I loose power..., because leak down test sounds bit more complicated to me again. But I am getting into how the engine works and it's really nice feeling, Cheers!

Registered
i had to watch the video to find out what i'd said. man i find myself boring.

how to tell if it's skipped a tooth? line the crank up at tdc horizontal firing, lock it up with the right tool is the most accurate way. then pull the plug in the cam end cap and look for the slot in the cam or fit the tool. exactly like i said. not sure how else to explain it.

there are no dots to line the cams up with on the belt side.

oil under the crank end cap is how it's meant to be.
Why Ducati why! Why do they not have a little dot on the pulley? Are then the same as the bigger engines? How much money did they save with this?

Anyway, actually what I wanted to say is, it's unrelated to the thread, I just didn't know those videos were you, belter. I cannot thank you enough for those, I learned so much from your videos!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts