Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the look of the newer monsters, (except some of the plastic pieces) and I can get a 2009 used for a good price. The thing that keeps holding me back is that every other magazine, website, or person always tries claim it is too slow. So, 696 owners, what do you think? How fast is the 696 on during actual street riding? Is it comparable to, say, a 600 sportbike?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Many people here will tell you it's slow. Don't believe it.
In the twistys it's as good as you are. It won't keep up with a 600 when the 600 hits it's power, but who cares.
The 696 is a great bike, all of my friends who ride it, love it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
depends on your size and weight

and what ur used to riding

I have an S4R-T myself

I test drove the 696

not only was it slower (it's still pretty quick and nimble mind u)

but i Found it small for my frame.. 5'11 200lbs 45" chest 36" waist (I lift weights)

if ur a smaller lighter guy.. it might suit u better

·
Registered
312 Posts
Its not slow by any means. I regularly ride with a 1098 ,a R1, k1300s, and k1200gt. You should not have to worry about keeping up with your tool bag friends on 600's on the street going 100 mph. It is nimble and quick, but if you are looking just for speed get a liter bike.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yes, slow. I'm thinking of getting one for my old lady. And if you are keeping up with a guy on a 1098, and he's any kind of a rider, he's on the wrong bike. Maybe a Ninja 250.

Actually, it all depends on who you ride with, how fast the roads are where you ride, and how fast your friends go. I know one group that goes pretty slow and the 696 would be fine. I know another group that really hauls banana's, and it takes a real fast bike to keep up. Liter bikes and fast guys on the latest 600's will do. Who do you ride with?

·
Registered
230 Posts
it will NOT keep up with a 600cc sportbike, not even close. if you want outright speed, get a sportbike. if you want something comfortable, looks good, sounds good, get the monster.

·
Registered
923 Posts
i love the ole ladys....i ride it more than my 999:D. It's real fun when you start to push it in the corners.

·
Registered
355 Posts
It's not slow but the power is really boring. You twist the throttle and nothing happens, the bike just speeds up. The 1100cc motor is so much better. The torque is so addictive. You get an instant feeling of acceleration as soon as you open the throttle. It's great.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
871 Posts
it will NOT keep up with a 600cc sportbike, not even close. if you want outright speed, get a sportbike. if you want something comfortable, looks good, sounds good, get the monster.
An S4RS Monster will keep up with most and beat some sportbikes :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
From my experience, the I4's have a much wider powerband. They really seem to have more power everywhere. The main strengths of the 696 for me are the low seat height, light weight, and ease of maintenance. If you want power, go for an I4.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'll chime in. I tend to lurk here and post elsewhere...

I have had the 696 for several months. I am 6' 200lbs. I have owned various bikes including R6, R1, 748, BMW R1150R and various cruisers. I have been fortunate to have ridden a wide range of bikes.

The 696 is one of the best all around bikes I have owned. I find it comfortable, and nimble. As far as power, I dropped to a 14 tooth front and it was night and day. The bottom end is so more responsive now.

Would I like more power? Yah of course. Could I have bought any bike I wanted? Yes ( except Desmosedici) Can I ride to the limit....no. Now granted, I have done numerous track days, bike schools, and have been riding for 14 years. The limiting factor on every single bike I through a leg over is me. This past weekend I was riding with my buddy with a new R1. He smokes me in a straight line, but that is not why I bought the Monster. When we get to some twisites , I keep up just fine. He is also a very skilled rider.

I actually swapped bikes with my friend after watching him kill me in a straight line. I loved the power of the R1, but I always let off at about 75MPH. Why? Tickets for one. I have two small children at home is reason two. Was it a rush to blast away on a liter bike? Sure it was, but if I really wanted that, I could have bought one. I wanted a bike to have fun with on a day to day basis and not a narrow focused weapon to use only on the track and chugging around our congested streets. At the end of the day we pulled into the driveway at the same time. Which bike do you think got more looks and more people in cars pointing or saying what a nice bike that is? The Ducati...true story. I also think I had a better time than my friend. He wanted to just open it up and rip. I was happy pushing the bike a little hard and felt in control. He was frustrated with traffic and wanted to pass slower cars on the country roads. I was cool with sitting upright and cruising at 75mph. I got off the bike smiling and he got off his bike pissed. Reason is his bike is not all that fun going slow, it needs to be revving around 10K + to get power out of it. My power is on at legal speeds, which is where I intend to do most of my riding anyway.

Now the question is 696 or 1100? Again I could have bought the 1100. I rode it and it was sweet. I made up my mind taking into consideration that the 1100 would get me to the corners a little faster, but the difference was not that great. Now granted, the 1100 has better forks, open clutch, single sided swingarm....all things I lust for. For some reason the 696 just felt right. Plus I factored in the cost of modifying the bike. I will spend close to $3k when I am done with the wish list for the 696. Include updated gear, and I will have over $5,000 plus the price of the bike. A pretty great bang for the buck in my opinion.

If " street cred" is all you are looking for...look elsewhere. By a 'Busa to brag and drag, buy a Ducati to carve.

Jim

·
Registered
120 Posts
I did over 9000 miles on my 696 and loved every minute of it. Not a single issue. I was coming off a Triumph Thruxton that was WAY underpowered for a 900. The 696 throws through corners, handles great, goes and stops when I told it to. I had the 14-tooth front sprocket and the Termi's installed. It sounded good and moved great.

That said, I upgraded to the 1100. NOT because I wanted bigger or faster... I wanted the dry clutch and the SSS. Period. 13 years of riding and I had never had a SSS. It was time, I had the means and the method to do so. I did. I have 2600 miles on my 1100. Stock pipes and gearing right now. There is more power, but on the street, who cares. Both are nimble, but the 696 sits lower to the ground so it has a lower center of gravity.

That said, my 1100 is in the shop right now and I am on an R1 for a couple of days. After 75 miles on the R1, I miss my Monster. Sure the R1 is FAST. Sure the R1 handles great. I just miss the feel, look and sound of the Duc.

As for the 696, most likely, you will never have more skill than what the bike can do.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'll chime in. I tend to lurk here and post elsewhere...

I have had the 696 for several months. I am 6' 200lbs. I have owned various bikes including R6, R1, 748, BMW R1150R and various cruisers. I have been fortunate to have ridden a wide range of bikes.

The 696 is one of the best all around bikes I have owned. I find it comfortable, and nimble. As far as power, I dropped to a 14 tooth front and it was night and day. The bottom end is so more responsive now.

Would I like more power? Yah of course. Could I have bought any bike I wanted? Yes ( except Desmosedici) Can I ride to the limit....no. Now granted, I have done numerous track days, bike schools, and have been riding for 14 years. The limiting factor on every single bike I through a leg over is me. This past weekend I was riding with my buddy with a new R1. He smokes me in a straight line, but that is not why I bought the Monster. When we get to some twisites , I keep up just fine. He is also a very skilled rider.

I actually swapped bikes with my friend after watching him kill me in a straight line. I loved the power of the R1, but I always let off at about 75MPH. Why? Tickets for one. I have two small children at home is reason two. Was it a rush to blast away on a liter bike? Sure it was, but if I really wanted that, I could have bought one. I wanted a bike to have fun with on a day to day basis and not a narrow focused weapon to use only on the track and chugging around our congested streets. At the end of the day we pulled into the driveway at the same time. Which bike do you think got more looks and more people in cars pointing or saying what a nice bike that is? The Ducati...true story. I also think I had a better time than my friend. He wanted to just open it up and rip. I was happy pushing the bike a little hard and felt in control. He was frustrated with traffic and wanted to pass slower cars on the country roads. I was cool with sitting upright and cruising at 75mph. I got off the bike smiling and he got off his bike pissed. Reason is his bike is not all that fun going slow, it needs to be revving around 10K + to get power out of it. My power is on at legal speeds, which is where I intend to do most of my riding anyway.

Now the question is 696 or 1100? Again I could have bought the 1100. I rode it and it was sweet. I made up my mind taking into consideration that the 1100 would get me to the corners a little faster, but the difference was not that great. Now granted, the 1100 has better forks, open clutch, single sided swingarm....all things I lust for. For some reason the 696 just felt right. Plus I factored in the cost of modifying the bike. I will spend close to $3k when I am done with the wish list for the 696. Include updated gear, and I will have over $5,000 plus the price of the bike. A pretty great bang for the buck in my opinion.

If " street cred" is all you are looking for...look elsewhere. By a 'Busa to brag and drag, buy a Ducati to carve.

Jim
nice write up!

·
Registered
969 Posts
+1 on the 14T sprocket, it makes a huge difference.
I also run MIVV exhaust with the DB killers out and the 696 is honestly the best sounding bike I have ever heard.
I'll bet nobody here has more fun on their bike than I do on the 696, and isn't that what it's all about?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also run MIVV exhaust with the DB killers out and the 696 is honestly the best sounding bike I have ever heard.
I'll bet nobody here has more fun on their bike than I do on the 696, and isn't that what it's all about?
Agree completely.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't know, I have quite a bit of fun on my 1100. :D

I got the Arrow cans, with no db killers.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts