Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.

I currently own an 06 SportsClassic Sport 1000 Monoposto. I love this bike. It is more than a motorcycle. It is pure art. I will never sell this bike.

But I am moving and I am facing a 50 mile ride each way, in hideous traffic. I will go crazy making that haul in a car, and so I am looking to commute by bike. Lane sharing is legal here and so I feel in stop and go traffic, I can save 30 minutes in commute time.

But I really cannot see subjecting my Sport 1000 to that kind of miles day in and day out. Nor can I see subjecting my body to riding the Sport 1000 like that, because as pretty as this bike is, the ergos are so aggressive, it is truly a torture rack to ride.

Has anyone put that kind of miles on a daily basis on the little Monster, and if so, have there been any reliability issues? I am also curious as to the kind of mileage people are getting with this bike.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I don't commute on mine but I'm at 4500 miles with no issues, I get 50MPG.
The mileage got better after the bike got broke in.
Yesterday I put 475 miles on the 696 and while I was tired, the bike didn't hurt me.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Well, this is probably going to get me in trouble...but here it goes :D

If I was to buy another bike (I have 5) for strictly commuter work, lived in CA, was going to put 500 miles a week on it, it wouldn't be ANY Ducati.

It would be a cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to insure, cheap to fix, cheap to maintain, nobody wants to steal, narrow and perfectly capable Kawi 650R or Versys (more upright position to see over traffic)

The M696 is high strung and basically won't run under 4K and has a touchy clutch so is a little frustrating in stop & go traffic

Go ahead...I'm ready

·
Registered
969 Posts
You won't get flamed by me Spencers.
For a commuter I'd probably get an older Honda 360 or something like that.
You can't kill a Honda.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I couldn't agree with this more. Have you looked at something like a Yammy FZ6/6R or a Suzi SV650?

Very comfy, cheap to maintain, good mileage, highly reliable.

My son commuted on a 695 for almost a year, he put 11,000 miles on it. The higher than normal mileage for a relatively new bike drove the value down, cost the usual Ducati arm and a leg for simple maintenance and barely got enough to pay off his loan when he finally sold it.

Well, this is probably going to get me in trouble...but here it goes :D

If I was to buy another bike (I have 5) for strictly commuter work, lived in CA, was going to put 500 miles a week on it, it wouldn't be ANY Ducati.

It would be a cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to insure, cheap to fix, cheap to maintain, nobody wants to steal, narrow and perfectly capable Kawi 650R or Versys (more upright position to see over traffic)

The M696 is high strung and basically won't run under 4K and has a touchy clutch so is a little frustrating in stop & go traffic

Go ahead...I'm ready

·
Registered
312 Posts
Although a 696 might not be the best bike to commute on, as far the miles per week goes, if you can afford it I would go for it. I love my monster, I can usually rack up about 300-400 miles per day, with no discomfort, (I have the touring seat)...AND get 60 miles per gallon on the highway!

Very comfortable, very smooth, very sexy, but it can get expensive...:(

SO GO FOR IT!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I agree with Spencers696...

If your going to use a bike to commute which will be used and abused with high miles, and have a chance of it getting hit, scratched, and otherwise damaged, get something cheap and easy to maintain...

I commute on my 696 each day, but it's only about 10 miles to work and back, all on surface streets and I don't leave for work until 8:30pm when there is no traffic... So I can go about a month without even re-fueling, and put very little miles on my bike... I could never imagine a 100 miles on my 696 just to get to work and back....

Save the duc for the weekends, abuse another bike

·
Registered
120 Posts
I do about 34 miles a day - about 8000 miles a year - on my 696. I get about 45-50 mpg, and I just did my 7500 service for $500 (including new front brake pads). I just replaced my rear tire for $250ish. I pay less than $350 a year for full insurance. I don't think there are many bikes that are much better for the mileage + insurance + maintenance than what I get. That is all I have really spent on my bike. I hate riding on freways but that is where most of my riding is done. It is a comfy bike (with the touring seat) and easy to get through traffic, with splitting lanes and gets up when I need it to.

If you dig it, do it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Almost 40 miles a day and 50 mpg on my '01 Monster 750. Line sharing isn't legal here so naturally I don't ever do that, but the commute is so much better than driving the car or taking the metro. :D

I would highly recommend to buy a comfortable set of riding jeans and sturdy boots you can wear at work.

Cheers!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I ride my 696 to work as often as possible. Take the super slab to work in the morning, 63 miles, then back roads on the way home, unlimited miles. Funny how riding a bike always takes longer.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Wow, some of you guys have long commutes everyday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts