Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello every body,
writing from sunny England.

I have been given a 2004 monster 620ie..it was left standing for 12 years under a cover.
Most of the bike is in reasonable condition but the engine had suffered with corrosion.
So i took the engine out,stripped it down,bead blasted all the cases and repainted every thing.
Will try to post some photos later.
Now to my problem.
I have one red key,two black keys and the code card.
Using the red key..it will complete the black key cloning process,whether it is actually doing it i dont know.
The red key will not do the over ride procedure,the screen just stays on the 'lo' temp screen.
Using the red key,switch on,the clocks do their dance,then the 'led' flash's 3 times.
Which according to the manual means key not recognised,any ideas any one ?
Thanks,
Paul.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
the red key is only used to code black keys. it does not enable any sort of override procedure.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the handbook and the manual there is a procedure to disable the immobiliser using the key in the on position and operating the twist grip and inputting the key code

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
yes, but that works with any key, not just the red key. it only works for that key on too - turn the key off and it's immo'd again.

you could try a key coding procedure, might help.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes will try the key code again,tried that a few times but will try again.
And your right about the over ride,you would have to redo it every time you switch off.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
on some models, to initiate the key coding procedure you put the red key in, on/off, then put a black key in and when you turn it on the countdown will show and begin. red key only won't start the dash counting down.

do you have all the keys separate for this? if they're together on one key ring it'll cause you lots of agro.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes they are all seperate and well away from each other when coding..but i have found that the cam sensor is faulty,will let you know the outcome,thanks

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The main problem was..as if it was coming out of a coma,originally the dash seemed to work ok and it would turn over,but the pump was not priming.
Then the next time i played with it the pump started priming !
I then discovered the cam sensor was faulty,got a new one but still would not start,but the pump was not running when turning over and no ignition.
And then later on i smelled fuel ! the pump was working and i had ignition,after a while it fired up,yeeha.
I was talking to a friend of mine and explained what had been happening over a number of weeks,and he said that is what they call electrical wetting,in my case a lack of electrical wetting.
Apparently where they have put down emergency phone lines,electrical cables etc,because they wont get used often or not at all,at regular intervals they will send a electrical current down the line to keep the crimped and soldered joints working.(i dont know the technical details)
So my bike had been sitting under a cover in some ones garden for twelve years with no electrical current going through the wires and joints,but then started waking up gradually and now it is running sweet as a nut.
I hope this info helps some body with a bike thats been sitting around doing nothing for a while

1 - 10 of 10 Posts