Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Since 1 month ago my Monster 620 ie (2003) started running on 1 cylinder half of the time (back and forth every 15-20 min).
When it does, I get a strong smell of fuel, then a lot of white smoke gets out of the exhaust, and on that state it consumes a lot of gas. After a while it goes back to running normal, on both cylinder. 馃

I've checked with my garagist, and it seems the cause of that happening is the vertical cylinder's spark plug gets drowned in fuel and stops working, until it gets to spark again. He's done some compression and leaking test and haven't found anything wrong.
He says it should be the ECU that screws up the injection timing, but after checking with JP Diag & Guzzi Diag I haven't found any fault/error with these tools.

Any idea if I should really change the ECU (IAW 59M), or if it could be another problem (injectors, others)?

Cheers!

Registered
2001 S4, 2000 750ie Sport
If its only affecting one cylinder I would be checking every connector and piece of wire attached to that spark plug, back to the ecu and check the crank position sensor.
I'd replace the ignition coil before I replaced the ecu.
Swap them around and see if the problem stays with that cylinder.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If its only affecting one cylinder I would be checking every connector and piece of wire attached to that spark plug, back to the ecu and check the crank position sensor.
I'd replace the ignition coil before I replaced the ecu.
Swap them around and see if the problem stays with that cylinder.
Already tried swapping the coils, the problem remains on the vertical cylinder, I鈥檒l check the other connector as you said, but it鈥檚 weird it works correctly sometimes and sometimes it just doesn鈥檛...

Registered
2002 Ducati Monster 620 ie Dark
i'm in your exact systuation
Mine was running fine, Changed the plugs , checked the wires, it would run, then it wouldn't then it would....
My mechanic who only fixes Ducati's for over 40 yrs, says it needs a new ECU.He tried every other possibility. If you buy a stock or used ECU, you need to have it flashed because of the immobilizer. My last ECU had that issue, it stopped recognizing my key, so ihad it wiped off the ECU. i had to send it out to SOS Diagnostics in the US to have it done

So it seems that it's an injection timing issue

My guy claims Aftermarket ECU's without the immobilizer, half the price in England. I've been harrassing him for 5 months over the winter to get on it. I saw a million bikes out riding yesterday, i was bummed out.

so please lets share info we know.. Hows your current situation

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.