Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an oil leak here, could this be fixed by applying rtv or loctite around the base gasket?

I can't pinpoint the exact spot, this was a problem even before I rebuilt the engine but now seems worse. There is no place around the oil passage for an o-ring and the parts list doesnt show it should have one there. That seemed a bit weird considering the pressure would likely just wash any rtv away.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
Did you install the base gasket dry?
It should have had a type of RTV on the base gasket . There was a period where ducati had stopped putting a o-ring on the vertical base, it did not work well. these motors had a thin/hard/brittle almost red loctite look to it. we did many repairs on these. When I have one come in the shop I always cut a countersunk hole in the cylinder to create a pocket for a o-ring. I then use a earlier base gasket and o-ring. Never had one leak afterwards.

That bump is high pressure oil feed to the head/cams. plan 2 is to plug the oil feed and feed the cam through a external oil line to the top end. I would add the o-ring and pocket and be done.

Hard to tell from the picture also but before you ever tear it down be sure to rule out a leaking breather, oil feed leak fills/leaks fast and will be worse under rpms.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you install the base gasket dry?
It should have had a type of RTV on the base gasket . There was a period where ducati had stopped putting a o-ring on the vertical base, it did not work well. these motors had a thin/hard/brittle almost red loctite look to it. we did many repairs on these. When I have one come in the shop I always cut a countersunk hole in the cylinder to create a pocket for a o-ring. I then use a earlier base gasket and o-ring. Never had one leak afterwards.

That bump is high pressure oil feed to the head/cams. plan 2 is to plug the oil feed and feed the cam through a external oil line to the top end. I would add the o-ring and pocket and be done.

Hard to tell from the picture also but before you ever tear it down be sure to rule out a leaking breather, oil feed leak fills/leaks fast and will be worse under rpms.
Thank you, I thought there is no way this is going to seal properly when I assembled the engine and my haynes manual had the different engine type. The breather hose was dry so I guess it's time to test my new drill. Do you use a normal drillbit? Mine are not very flat around the tip but would (excuse my crude english) a slightly "coned in" surface be ok to hold an o-ring?

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
No I use a end mill that cuts a flat. Do not cut the groove too deep it is more about locating the o-ring and remember the thickness of the base gasket if you use one.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
If the o ring doesn’t get compressed evenly it could leak or escape into the oil passage .

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Looks good to me. Make sure the o ring thickness causes compression for a good seal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've only ran it for 200km but all seems good and no oil anywhere outside the engine. I also had a problem with spark plug oil fouling on the vertical and that problem went away too. I dont know how that is possible, is there a way to check that the head is still getting oil? It might just be my paranoia but it seems weird that the oil fouling stopped.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
200 km would have been about 198 km more than you’d have gotten with no oil flow to the rear head, and it would have gotten noisy first. Pull a valve cover, start it up and look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts