Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently bought a 1997 600 Monster as a winter project. Before I strip it down I thought I would get it running, which is proving difficult!

It starts, sounds OK, but runs quite rough... and soon as I try to rev it it cuts out! I have done all the usual checks and come to the conclusion that its the CDI units. I know its strange to have two faulty ones, but I dont know the history of the bike, and they may have both been swapped. the bike is stuck on full advance when I check it with the strobe, and seems to advance more as the revs rise...

So what are my options? seems new ones are £500 ish a pair... is there an alternative?

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Electrex used to sell new units but, seems they don't now. Ebay, Ducati breakers for used ones. I have a set to sell but, they're for a 750 and I don't know if they used the same.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Sounds as if the carbs are plugged. Ignetec makes igniters for your bike. Do you have good fuel flow from the pump ?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds as if the carbs are plugged. Ignetec makes igniters for your bike. Do you have good fuel flow from the pump ?
I have checked the carbs and they are clean as a whistle... jets are clear, float heights OK... Just to be sure I have also put a temporary tank hanging in the garage well above the bike, so there is no pump, no filter to worry about. it still cuts when you open the throttle...

I have even squirted fuel in with an atomiser spray, and it still just cuts out. I think i have eradicated that its carbs, but always willing to listen to advice if you have other ideas or suggestions...

looking at the timing with the strobe, its miles out

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought I would update this with the reason the bike wouldn’t run… it may help others in the future..

I had initially bought the bike as a none runner… It looked like several people had had a go at repairing it, there were two invoiced in the documents, one for £200 where they failed to find the fault, and one for £350 from 2010 where they had replaced the ignition pickups but the invoice stated the bike needed new carbs. It has stood since 2010!

On initial investigation I found a hole in the pipe from the manifold to the fuel pump, (see the picture) and initially thought this was the reason it wouldn’t run. I repaired the pipe and although it now started, it wouldn’t rev at all. Soon as you gave it any throttle, it cut out completely.
It had a good spark so I initially thought it was the carbs, so I stripped and rebuilt them… still no joy… I used a spray with petrol in and sprayed neat petrol into the carbs… still cut out.

This is why I thought it was the CDI units. Today I put the strobe on and looked through the window… no timing marks. So I took the cover up and started it up (yes I got covered in oil!) and noticed that the timing on BOTH cylinders was way out. Knowing the pickups had been replaced, I wondered if they had connected the wires back to front. I took the wires out of the pickup plugs on the coils and swapped them over. It ran perfectly!

So it looks like the original fault may have been the pipe with a hole in it… but this was miss diagnosed to being the pickups. Which introduced a new fault on the bike when these were wired incorrectly!

Thank for your help and suggestions guys.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
It’s hard to remotely diagnose problems without knowing the history, and especially without being able to actually see the bike. I always recommend on these old scooters that you replace all the hoses, lines , etc with new double wall fuel line to avoid kinking or leaking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts