Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering changing the ST3 over and am thinking of going back to a Monster.
The two I have in mind is the 2013 1100 EVO or a 2013 to 2015-ish 1200. I'm aware that the 1100 is air cooled vs liquid cooled on the 1200.

Any comments or thoughts on the 1100 vs 1200 bike?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Very different bikes. The 1100evo, which I have, is much smaller physically and lighter. The power is not comparable. The evo is old school, for better or for worse. It’s my second 1100 evo as I regretted selling my first one. It is not as smooth as the newer water cooled engines, but it is easy to ride fast. In fact I sold my SF848 and kept the 1100evo. I’m 47 yo and that may mean something :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2013 Evo. It's a pretty fantastic bike. I'd had a 696 and then my SF848 for about two years but I was missing the air cooled character. I'd recommend one. Definitely retains more of an old school feel when compared to the newer Monsters but still feels incredibly fast in it's own way due to it's weight. Ultimately it really just comes down to what you're looking for. The 1200 is a great bike as well, going to have a nicer dash and feel smoother and better for touring (and gotta love that metal tank) but there's a character that comes with the 1100 evo that you don't get with the newer bike. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Not a direct comparison but I can offer a bit of insight from a recent trip that covered a pretty good range of conditions. A friend had a Monster 1100 with full Termi and factory map (model prior to the Evo), while I was on my S4Rs (previous generation water-cooled; full Arrow and bespoke map).

I rode the 1100 in touring conditions and on a good bit of road that was twisty enough to limit top speeds to 90mph or so between corners (and usually much less).

Essentially, the S4Rs felt like a luxo-barge compared with the 1100, and the chassis on mine is set up pretty well. The 1100 felt smaller and lighter, with steering much more direct and precise.

In those conditions it also felt at least as powerful, simply because there was little cause to rev the water-cooled bike past 7K, which is still below its torque peak.

OTOH the S4Rs felt smoother and more comfortable (I've a custom seat), with much more available from the engine even though there wasn't much call for it (headroom is nice to have). And it was still very good in the turns.

I've not tried a 1200 Monster, but from all accounts these extend the model further into the touring end of the use envelope, and particularly in the first iteration.

Hard to know what I would choose from your options. Probably I would lean towards the 1200, because my usage pattern is mainly the kind of multi-day trips that an ST3 or 4s would be good for. If I did mainly day trips then the 1100 would be the obvious pick. And there is also the thought that set up right, the 1100 could handle the sport-touring side very well, with more agility in the mountains and a lot less complexity.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I only have experience with my 1200. But I think the 1200 has a much longer valve adjust interval then the 1100.
Also, I love it, great bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had an air-cooled hypermotard prior to my 1200R. Different chassis, but same motor. I love that 1100 motor. Wish it had a little higher rev limit, but it's a gem, and sounds wonderful.
The engine in the 1200R is smoother and not as raw. I'd like to get an EVO 1100 eventually (although a Tricolor S4RS is still at the top of my list).

·
Registered
303 Posts
The riding position was what struck me as the most noticeable difference. Obviously the M1200 will have more power and fancy dash, however it feels like a cruiser compared to the 1100. The M1200 seemed low and long, and it felt like I was sitting inside the bike, where as the 1100 felt much more aggressive like you're right over the front wheel.

It just depends on where and how you like to ride. I like to take my bikes up into the Apache Trail Canyon roads, and it's extremely tight turns and I rarely get out of 3rd gear. I like a very flickable bike. If you like that style of riding then I'd get the 1100.

If you are going on longer hauls, and take roads that are straight, or long sweepers, then I'd definitely go with the M1200. And as said earlier, the 1100 is much physically smaller and weighs a lot less. Both bikes are good, but seem to have different purposes.

·
Smut peddler
833 Posts
It's good to hear a comparo between the S4RS and the 1100, as I've been contemplating selling my 1100 to build a first gen.

If you're going the 1100 route, I'd suggest looking at a first run of the 1100 dual spark, S model. You get the better suspension, and the OG Ducati dry clutch. I was hell bent on getting the EVO when I bought mine, but have since found I wish I went the other way. The EVO motor is for sure the best of the 2V Ducati motors, but unfortunately, they just emptied the shelves when doing the suspension. You'd think the last iteration would be the best, but it would take about $2-3K in suspension to match the EVO to the S model. It's all a matter of opinion, the 1200 looks to be a great bike as well. But the monster seems to keep going farther away from it's roots. Sign o de times I guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts