Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking about getting back on a Ducati and the 1200 R is the only one that really appeals to me.

Anyone here have any experience with the R, test ride, ownership etc.

Interested in how it handles, low speed fueling, comfort etc.

Reactions: flynbulldog

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
It really does seem like the closest offering to the SFS that they have now. I'd be curious to find out also. I'd rather have a Tuono 1100 or factory though. I'd also be curious as to see if they'll put a V4 in a naked configuration at some point soon.

·
Bon Vivant
11,303 Posts
I have to agree with SJ. Unless you just have to have the twin experience I think the Tuono factory is every bit as exciting as the SF and it is much easier to ride. I love my SF but I almost always ride the Tuono when I want to ride something fun..
The Monster R is really cool but its just a little too long and low for me. And none of comparisons put it in the same category as the ktm, s1000r, tuono, and SF, it's just not quite there...

Here are the bikes in that category:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I believe that's the Double Dog exhaust which isn't made any longer.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have to agree with SJ. Unless you just have to have the twin experience I think the Tuono factory is every bit as exciting as the SF and it is much easier to ride. I love my SF but I almost always ride the Tuono when I want to ride something fun..
The Monster R is really cool but its just a little too long and low for me. And none of comparisons put it in the same category as the ktm, s1000r, tuono, and SF, it's just not quite there...

Here are the bikes in that category:

Familiar with the bikes in the category...

Rode my friend's SDR 1290, didn't like the seating position or the sound...awesome power though,

Rode my friend's S1000R that he had before the SDR, didn't like it's perfectness, read no soul, nor the tingle at 6k rpms...awesome power though,

Tuono looks good and is cheap relative to the others, but has a hard seat and I wouldn't buy a motorcycle from the Aprilia dealer here...heard it's got awesome power though,

No used F1098s on the market here...

·
Registered
85 Posts
My first experience on a Monster R was last year. I had always admired them from afar, however I had never ridden one. While my 16 Pikes Peak was getting it's 600 mile service the dealer let me borrow a black 1200 R to demo. I rode it up a local canyon to a ski resort and had so much fun that I was smitten and could not get it out of my mind.

2017 rolled around and the dealer had a left over red 1200 R so I bought it. I put the pipes on and couldn't be happier. It pulls like a Mack truck and handles well. I need to still sort out the suspension as it is too stiff. I have set the sag and now just need to spend time with rebound and compression.

·
Bon Vivant
11,303 Posts
Familiar with the bikes in the category...

No used F1098s on the market here...
Ha! I know you know the bikes - I just wanted to post pics!!! :grin2:
Would you like me to ship a couple of 1098 SF's to you? The damn things are so cheap you could buy 2 and ship them to HI and still be cheaper than the monster :nerd:

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would you like me to ship a couple of 1098 SF's to you? The damn things are so cheap you could buy 2 and ship them to HI and still be cheaper than the monster :nerd:
Now that's a thought...just one would do the trick though...:grin2:

·
Bon Vivant
11,303 Posts

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
You know, I realize what a landmark bike the SF is, and I bet it's an awesome bike to ride.... but it just so damn ugly. Talk about Transformer styling. It's Maximus Prime on two wheels. It and the Multistrada look like drunken Italian versions of Godzilla vs. Mothra. :)

Now the new Monster 1200R, that's a sweet looking bike.

>:)

·
Bon Vivant
11,303 Posts
You know, I realize what a landmark bike the SF is, and I bet it's an awesome bike to ride.... but it just so damn ugly. Talk about Transformer styling. It's Maximus Prime on two wheels. It and the Multistrada look like drunken Italian versions of Godzilla vs. Mothra. :)

Now the new Monster 1200R, that's a sweet looking bike.

>:)
Yeah I see the smiling devil... But the sad fact is some people just have no business judging design. sorry duckman you own a 999, nuff said

(JK I love the 999 and its Optimus Prime you bonehead)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
That rear makes the bike look so much better than the standard rear. Is it a complicated matter to fit it onto the standard Monster 1200?

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
That rear makes the bike look so much better than the standard rear. Is it a complicated matter to fit it onto the standard Monster 1200?
I thought I read somewhere the new Monsters (2017?) have the same rear end so maybe it's not too much trouble.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Nice. It gives the bike an entirely different stance which makes the tank flow better.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Can’t comment on the 1200 but I learned to ride on the previous generation 659 Monster and it was such an easy bike to ride. I don’t think the new one is comparable to the SF but if it’s what you want then go for it.
I’m amazed also that people think the SF is ugly as I think it’s easily the best looking naked ever.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts