Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Monster 1200 R w/3500 miles.

I want to drop down -1 tooth in the front sprocket to a 14T.

Besides the sprocket, what other parts will I need?

Does the chain need to be broken/removed, or will I have enough slack to slip the old 15T sprocket off?

Seems easy. Anything I should know, or look out for?

Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Maybe a new nut if yours is buggered up from having the edge folded over to secure it.

How much wear are on your chain and rear sprocket now? Normally it's not advised to change just one of the parts as it could accelerate wear on the rest.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe a new nut if yours is buggered up from having the edge folded over to secure it.

How much wear are on your chain and rear sprocket now? Normally it's not advised to change just one of the parts as it could accelerate wear on the rest.
~3500 miles on the original sprockets & chain.

Does anyone know the proper torque spec for the front sprocket nut? 135 ft-lbs, perhaps?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Close enough. Manual states 186Nm ±5%

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, got the 14T sprocket & misc parts.

Could someone please tell me the size of the nut that holds the front sprocket? 32mm? 36mm?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
OK, got the 14T sprocket & misc parts.

Could someone please tell me the size of the nut that holds the front sprocket? 32mm? 36mm?

Thanks
Wouldn't it be faster for you to try a socket and go up or down one or two size until you find the right one?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wouldn't it be faster for you to try a socket and go up or down one or two size until you find the right one?
Not at all.

My socket set doesn't have sizes ranging that large, so I'll be buying necessary tools for this job.

Can you help?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Not at all.

My socket set doesn't have sizes ranging that large, so I'll be buying necessary tools for this job.

Can you help?
I actually had but the service manual did not specify size. I'll keep looking for you as I could have missed it.
As an aside, I would not go through with it as the 1200 has more torque than anybody could want. It's already wheelie happy.
Most if not all who downsized the front sprocket had smaller Monsters.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
.....As an aside, I would not go through with it as the 1200 has more torque than anybody could want. It's already wheelie happy.
Most if not all who downsized the front sprocket had smaller Monsters.
Good point.

I'm also considering a 14T for my 959. Didn't you do the 14T on your 959?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Good point.

I'm also considering a 14T for my 959. Didn't you do the 14T on your 959?

Thanks
Yes definitely for the 959. Big improvement there.

BTW i found the size for the 1200. It's 25 x 1.5 see attached.

Post script. Consider exchanging the 525 you just got for a 14T 520 to install it on your 959

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Post script. Consider exchanging the 525 you just got for a 14T 520 to install it on your 959
Yikes, the 1200 R takes a 25mm?

Is that an exotic size? I ask, because my impact socket set has almost every size (....22,24,27mm), except 25mm.

I don't even have a 25mm in my non-impact socket sets, either.

Regardless, thank you for taking the time to look. You saved me a tremendous amount of disappointment.

Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Sir, could you tell me where you got that page of torque specs from?

I ask, because I just measured the front sprocket nut on my 2016 Monster 1200 R and it is indeed 32mm (equivalent to ~1-1/4").

Thanks

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Sir, could you tell me where you got that page of torque specs from?

I ask, because I just measured the front sprocket nut on my 2016 Monster 1200 R and it is indeed 32mm (equivalent to ~1-1/4").

Thanks
@DrSpencer
I totally agree with you that the size is weird in hindsight as I did not even think about it at the time.
25 refers to the thread without specifying size.
I have attached the whole page (49) plus page 351 from the DUCATI Monster 1200 2014 Repair Manual.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts