Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to get a 2016 Monster R Demo bike with ~50 miles. There were no changes made to the R from 2016 to 2017, correct?

If so, should I consider the 2016 R, or wait and see what comes out for 2018?

Is there any anticipated changes for the 2018 models?

Thanks

·
Registered
642 Posts
I don't think that there will be any chances for the R model in 2018.
50 miles is nothing, what kind of deal are they offering you ?
Will it include the 'full' 2 year warranty ?
Have you test ridden the bike yet ?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think that there will be any chances for the R model in 2018.
50 miles is nothing, what kind of deal are they offering you ?
Will it include the 'full' 2 year warranty ?
Have you test ridden the bike yet ?
Took the 2016 Demo for a test ride. My only complaint was that with the sun shining I could not see the digital screen, at all. If I wanted to squint to get my RPM reading, I would have to divert my attention from the road longer than what would be considered safe. Is this how they all are? Furthermore, I thought this was a full color display? All I saw was a bunch of faded, unrecognizable data. Most importantly, with this screen issue be corrected in 2018, or is this something people just accept and live with?

Prices are as follows:

2016 1200R Demo w/50 miles: $16,500. This bike only comes with 7 months remaining on the 2 year warranty.

New 2017 1200R: $17,931. Full 2 year warranty.

Are you sure the 2018 R's are getting styled to look 'normal', like the Base & S models? I actually prefer the striping on the current R's. I'm new to Ducati, so I apologize for not being well versed on the features. How important is cornering ABS & anti-wheelie? Think the 2018's will get a new screen, one you can actually see?

Given the above pricing, what would you suggest doing?

Thanks

·
Registered
271 Posts
I recently read on another thread that the display screen for 2017 R models was re-positioned/changed to reduce glare. Is this true?

Thanks
No one said that in the "other" forum Spencer - what was said is that the NEW 2017 Monster 1200/S have their screens mounted differently/different angle (due to feedback received) compared to the PREVIOUS 2014-2016 Monster 1200/S as to reduce sun glare.
The 1200R's screen is the same (+mounting angle) as the OLD 1200's.

If and when* Ducati comes up with the NEW 2018 1200R you can be sure that the screen will be the same as the NEW 2017 1200's (not R's).

Hope that's clear enough

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No one said that in the "other" forum Spencer - what was said is that the NEW 2017 Monster 1200/S have their screens mounted differently/different angle (due to feedback received) compared to the PREVIOUS 2014-2016 Monster 1200/S as to reduce sun glare.
The 1200R's screen is the same (+mounting angle) as the OLD 1200's.

If and when* Ducati comes up with the NEW 2018 1200R you can be sure that the screen will be the same as the NEW 2017 1200's (not R's).

Hope that's clear enough
Got it, thanks.

Do you have any experience using a screen protector to reduce screen glare?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have an opportunity to get a 2016 Monster R Demo bike with ~50 miles. There were no changes made to the R from 2016 to 2017, correct?

If so, should I consider the 2016 R, or wait and see what comes out for 2018?

Is there any anticipated changes for the 2018 models?

Thanks
If they had a leftover 2016 R, they would struggle to get $16.5k for it sitting brand new.

This one has little warranty left on it (I thought demos had full factory warranty, mine did back I the day).

Anyway, IMO since you asked unless you could buy it for $15k or less I would pass.

·
Bon Vivant
10,228 Posts
I'm sorry but warranty on a new bikes only starts when the bike has a date of sale. If the bike is used and has been previously titled then I would understand but I've never heard of a demo bike having a reduced warranty. Also find out if the dealer is going to charge you freight, prep and doc fees all of which should not be incurred for a demo bike - especially if they are reducing warranty. 50 miles is not a lot of demo rides so that part is fine but a leftover bike with miles should still be new and sold as new with a new warranty .

Bottom line; used bike = no fees, new bike = full warranty. Anyway the price is not a big discount unless its sold with no fees. If they want fees and a reduced warranty - walk away.

As for the screen You might be one of those guys that expects a premium bike to be perfect. You need to rearrange some brain cells before you buy a Ducati. It will have small details that are not perfect, it may have fueling issues, it may have a wire tie here or there that isnt perfect. it may even need you to check things once in a while like air in the tires or burp the clutch... Its a Ducati not a Toyota - remember that. The screen is what it is - if you don't like it I wouldn't buy the bike because you can be sure that there will be other things to complain about.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm sorry but warranty on a new bikes only starts when the bike has a date of sale. If the bike is used and has been previously titled then I would understand but I've never heard of a demo bike having a reduced warranty. Also find out if the dealer is going to charge you freight, prep and doc fees all of which should not be incurred for a demo bike - especially if they are reducing warranty. 50 miles is not a lot of demo rides so that part is fine but a leftover bike with miles should still be new and sold as new with a new warranty .

Bottom line; used bike = no fees, new bike = full warranty. Anyway the price is not a big discount unless its sold with no fees. If they want fees and a reduced warranty - walk away.

As for the screen You might be one of those guys that expects a premium bike to be perfect. You need to rearrange some brain cells before you buy a Ducati. It will have small details that are not perfect, it may have fueling issues, it may have a wire tie here or there that isnt perfect. it may even need you to check things once in a while like air in the tires or burp the clutch... Its a Ducati not a Toyota - remember that. The screen is what it is - if you don't like it I wouldn't buy the bike because you can be sure that there will be other things to complain about.
With Ducati (maybe other brands), it starts when the bike was put into service, My Demo 1200R had a little more than 1 year left on the warranty.

·
Bon Vivant
10,228 Posts
With Ducati (maybe other brands), it starts when the bike was put into service, My Demo 1200R had a little more than 1 year left on the warranty.
Not at my Dealer... Demo bikes have a full factory warranty that starts the moment you sign the papers. The other thing that's a little different about the dealer I worked with is they didn't have specific Demo bikes - You (I) could ride anything on the floor. ( although I don't believe they extended that privilege to anyone who walked in the door)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not at my Dealer... Demo bikes have a full factory warranty that starts the moment you sign the papers. The other thing that's a little different about the dealer I worked with is they didn't have specific Demo bikes - You (I) could ride anything on the floor. ( although I don't believe they extended that privilege to anyone who walked in the door)
Then those bikes are handled differently. My bike was a demo and was registered as in service with Ducati (or whatever the term is), so the warranty started ticking down from that date. That's how the dealer I bought from handles demo bikes - they own the bikes that are demos. Maybe your dealer has some other arrangement with Ducati.

My bike was never registered with the NC DMV (or anywhere else).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not to change the subject, but are we any closer to knowing what changes there will be for the 2018 Monster R's, if any?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I saw one of those displays in the sunlight. Holding my hand over it pretty much eliminated the glare so I would 3D print a cowling that would slide around it or velcro attach. Most vehicles have gauges that are sunk in the dash. There are real direct sunlight displays but they have a very high unit cost. See them in airplanes. Putting a demo in service is the correct legal process but a dealer can include an extended warranty package to make up for it. The dealer mark up on those things is incredible so it doesn't equate to a retail price in their cost to do so.

·
Bon Vivant
10,228 Posts
Not to change the subject, but are we any closer to knowing what changes there will be for the 2018 Monster R's, if any?
Thanks
They just did an update to the Monster in 2017 so I would not expect any changes. But you'll have to wait for EICMA in November to be sure.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
concerning being able to see the dash in sunlight, couldn't you just switch the TFT to night mode? think that would help.
I doubt that!

'Apples, Oranges ... and nectar! This thread has much to offer! .

Disregard, 'I'm guessing the new Ducati Dash sucks in any environment !' Sometimes that happens. Just have to 'push-through' until a better option becomes available. If you like the 'Monster' and can live without, then you bought the bike you wanted ! Congrats!

·
Hammer Down
1,594 Posts
I agree with the comment about the extended warranty (Ducati EverRed). They could provide a 2 year extended warranty as part of the purchase (even at $16,500 in this case) and I might find that acceptable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts