Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike is a 2014 Monster 1200 base model with about 12,500 or so miles. Has been running great, put on about 250 milers last Sunday and Monday. Today I went out started it up, no problem. Put on earplugs, helmet, gloves. Throw leg over bike, I have a check engine light or EOBD light as the MOM calls it. Bike seemed to be running fine. Shut it off and waited a few seconds, restart and no light. Got half a block away and it is back, did the off and on again thing and it was still on. Went back home and lights lit up solid red above the tach for a couple seconds.

The MOM says solid red means it is about to hit the rev limiter. It was no where near high revs. The MOM says there should be error message(s) on the dash, if more than one they will display 1 at a time for about 3 seconds each. I rechecked and zero error messages, just the light. Could not find any other help in there, or in the 800+ page service manual pdf I found somewhere.

Searching on this board I found someone who posted they found a fuse with a hairline crack and replacing it solved their check engine light. I didn't think that sounded likely but is easy to check. Pulled the fuses on the right side of the bike one by one. None of them were blown or looked like they got hot or anything. Started it up again and no check engine light. Went for a ride of 134 miles and no problems. Ran great.

Weird, but I'll take it. If anyone has any thoughts on the matter, I'd like to hear them. Forgot where I found that post about the cracked fuse, but thanks to whoever posted it, you saved my ride today. :D

·
Registered
767 Posts
This sounds a lot like the throttle unit...the error message erases after you shut it off...next time it happens check for code before you turn it off...try changing rider modes as well...if you get a "close gas" flashing across the dash...it's the throttle unit

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had an issue about a year and a half ago, that my mechanic attributed to the tps. Light came on and it would not rev past 4,000 RPMs. On this bike the tps is integrated with the throttle bodies and at that time cost $2600! from Ducati. I got a slightly used one from ebay and it has been fine since, except for today. I'm hoping it stays fixed.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I had an issue about a year and a half ago, that my mechanic attributed to the tps. Light came on and it would not rev past 4,000 RPMs. On this bike the tps is integrated with the throttle bodies and at that time cost $2600! from Ducati. I got a slightly used one from ebay and it has been fine since, except for today. I'm hoping it stays fixed.
Mine went out around 18k miles...the throttle unit is something like 200.00...i chased this problem for another 18k miserable miles....it can get very dangerous...like going full throttle into a corner then bang...nothing...or getting ready to merge in front of a semi...I've been trouble free since the swap...but next time the cel pops up try changing rider modes.. if you can't...it's the throttle unit for sure....it's a simple replacement and will save you so much frustration...at it's worst I couldn't get above 80mph and then I couldn't get more than 100ft from my house...also sat at the dealer for 6weeks and they never found the problem...it's a real bugbear to track down

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The prior problem I could not change rider modes. Did not try to do that this time. I see you have an 821, I wonder if the electronics are the same. Sounds like your problem was intermittent?

I'm hoping it was just a loose fuse this time. :|

·
Registered
767 Posts
The prior problem I could not change rider modes. Did not try to do that this time. I see you have an 821, I wonder if the electronics are the same. Sounds like your problem was intermittent?

I'm hoping it was just a loose fuse this time. :|
We do share the same electronics...my experience started at 18k miles...then 5k later...than 2k....than 1k...then it was more ft...I'm pretty confident that this is your problem and the next couple times it trips it will reset by cycling the key on and off...but the duration that works is a loosing battle...and I was extremely lucky Everytime it happened...next time it occurs just order the part...it's absolutely worth it...62k miles and fault free

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seemed to reset today by me R&Ring the fuses. :confused:

Appreciate the info for sure. I did not know this.

the error message erases after you shut it off..

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This issue came back a couple times not long ago. Took it to the dealer, and it happened for them.
Replaced Throttle control unit, and they say it is good. Just a short 60 mile ride today, no problems.
Woo hoo! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts