Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of trying to reinstall the OEM horn on my Monster 1100. The bike came with some aftermarket horns installed to brackets on the upper fork stanchons but they were not to my taste. Fortunately the previous owner kept all the original parts including the OEM horn. Problem is I can't figure out how to make it fit.

I'm pretty sure that I've located the correct bolt to install it on. See center silver bolt in first picture below. But when I attempt to install the horn using the leaf spring like bracket it is mounted to (see 4th pic), it does not have sufficient clearance to lie flat. The bolt running through the center of the horn installing it to the bracket pretty much hits the frame cross member dead center preventing the bracket from lying flat. I tried to get a side shot (see 3rd pic) where you can see the horn hitting the frame and the degree to which the mounting bracket is not flat. It is sitting about 30 degrees away from lying flat. I also tried flipping the horn over (i.e. horn facing up) but there isn't enough space to get the bracket to line up properly. The horn hits the airbox when the bracket hole is still about 3/4" forward of the mounting bolt. What gives? How is this thing supposed to go in?

Such is the trouble with trying to put something back together that you never saw assembled in the first place.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok I was able to answer my own question. I'm pretty sure that the horn must mount to the frame bracket you can just make out in the upper right corner of the picture. In the pic there is a relay installed to it but the previous owner must have had to add the additional relay (and a fuse as well) when he got the new horns that clearly draw more current than the OEM horn.

I'm back to beeping. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts