Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new Monster 1100 and am wanting to get an exhaust put on it. I am thinking of having something custom fabricated but I read on another Monster forum that anything but the Termi systems will void your engine warranty.

Is that true? I know the burden of proof falls on DNA if I have a failure but I don't want to risk it if that is the case.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I know for cars, it's illegal for them to void your engine warranty because of an aftermarket exhaust. I would assume it's the same for bikes? I hope so because I want to get an exhaust too, but I don't want Termis. I'm waiting for the Quat D Ex Box to come out for it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
check engine light?

Does anyone know if replacing the stock exhaust with a full system, such as the Quat D ex box (only full system I'm aware of besides the Termis), would cause problems such as the check engine light coming on?

I know the full system eliminates the exhaust valves right before the cannisters, so I wonder if that would cause problems? Does it also eliminate the O2 sensors?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I might be abled to shed some light on the engine light thing in regards to the exhaust flapper. First off I have the Termi slippons. Secondly, while installing the DP rear fender you end up removing the cable from the servo motor. I thought there appeared to be excessive slack in the cable so I adjusted most of it out. I didn't notice any improvement but what I did find is this. Intermittantly, the check engine light would come on at start up and the bike would sound, off, so simply shutting it off and restarting it and the light would stay off and the bike would run perfectly. I went through this routine for a day or so but finally went back and dialed some slack back into and problem solved. So to me this says that definately, yes, the check engine light will come on with a full system unless you add a different ECU like the DP unit.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I might be abled to shed some light on the engine light thing in regards to the exhaust flapper. First off I have the Termi slippons. Secondly, while installing the DP rear fender you end up removing the cable from the servo motor. I thought there appeared to be excessive slack in the cable so I adjusted most of it out. I didn't notice any improvement but what I did find is this. Intermittantly, the check engine light would come on at start up and the bike would sound, off, so simply shutting it off and restarting it and the light would stay off and the bike would run perfectly. I went through this routine for a day or so but finally went back and dialed some slack back into and problem solved. So to me this says that definately, yes, the check engine light will come on with a full system unless you add a different ECU like the DP unit.
Hmm, that's rather strange that the check engine light would come on if the exhaust flap thing isn't working/connected. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I haven't. Instead of going full custom I have spoken to the guys over at MotoCreations and am waiting another month until the Boomtubes are available for the M1100. I love the look of them and how they clean up the rear end.

·
Registered
230 Posts
From the info I gathered from this site, I believe a full exhaust would cause the check engine light to come on. I've tried emailing Motowheels about the Quad D ex box, but they did not have much info as they do not have the system in stock to test yet.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quat D EX-Box for M1100

Looks like this system is in stock on Motowheels website. Anyone bold enough to have ordered it? I'd REALLY like to know how it runs with the stock ECU (and whether or not it will trigger the check engine light).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm not gonna be getting a bike for a few months, but when I do I'm gonna get the 1100, and the Quat D ex-box on it. I've been wondering the same thing about the check engine light. It does look like motowheels has it on their site since they have the picture with it on the bike, so I'm sure they've tested it out. weird that they're not telling you that

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Picture was provided by QD.

We do not have a M1100 here to test fit. But our M696 with the QD did not have any problems with CEL. I don't see any reason why it would have a problems unless you disconnected the O2 sensor.

-M

·
Registered
560 Posts
got an 1100s here with full termi and no check engine light and obviously, no cables 'cause no valve in the exhaust anymore. The dealer put the system on for the previous owner so don't know how they defeated the CEL????? Maybe the performance ecu kills that function?

Interesting thread.

·
Registered
230 Posts
got an 1100s here with full termi and no check engine light and obviously, no cables 'cause no valve in the exhaust anymore. The dealer put the system on for the previous owner so don't know how they defeated the CEL????? Maybe the performance ecu kills that function?

Interesting thread.
If the full termi eliminates the exhaust valves, then my guess is the DP ECU defeats that function? Obviously I would not get the ex box unless there's confirmation there will be no CEL issues. If we wait long enough, there's bound to be someone to try it and report back :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Maybe it's a different ecu with the full system vs. the slip on system.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts