Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

New to the forum. I recently purchased a new Monster 2013 1100 EVO after having my Dark 696 stolen in less than 3 months. It may have been a blessing in disguise because I LOVE my 1100. It pretty much came with the works but I'm thinking about upgrading the rear shocks.

I've looked at:

Nitron
Race Tech
Penske
Wilbers

Since I'm a relative newb to the game they all seam pretty awesome. From my limited research I think I can do with a 2-way adjustable however I am not completely sold on remote vs piggyback. My riding will consist of some possible track days, twistes, mostly highway and city.

Recommendations? Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Buy the Ohlins DU737. It is a direct bolt on and replaces the crap OEM shock. Made the bike so much better.

Took me about an hour to fit in my garage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SDRider! I did look into this shock but was steered away from it by 2 shops because the adjustably concerns being "not that huge a diff from the onboard Sachs"

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Thanks SDRider! I did look into this shock but was steered away from it by 2 shops because the adjustably concerns being "not that huge a diff from the onboard Sachs"
True it has the same adjustments the stock unit does but it still works a lot better and with a spring that is set for your rider weight it makes a huge improvement. Plus, it only costs about $700. I'd bet all the other units you're considering are well over a grand and you have to deal with mounting the reservoir on a couple of them. Unless you're racing the bike I really don't see the point (and if you are you'll still be let down by the front suspension anyway). For street riding and even the occasional track day the Ohlins is a great upgrade for the money.

It is a quality piece that works very well on the street. Definitely worth the asking price IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good. I'll for sure take that into consideration.

True it has the same adjustments the stock unit does but it still works a lot better and with a spring that is set for your rider weight it makes a huge improvement. Plus, it only costs about $700. I'd bet all the other units you're considering are well over a grand and you have to deal with mounting the reservoir on a couple of them. Unless you're racing the bike I really don't see the point (and if you are you'll still be let down by the front suspension anyway). For street riding and even the occasional track day the Ohlins is a great upgrade for the money.

It is a quality piece that works very well on the street. Definitely worth the asking price IMO.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I installed the Ohlins on my 1100 evo and came to the same conclusion in that it was not much better than the stock Sachs unit. As far as having the correct spring fitted, AFAIK all authorized Ohlins dealers offer that service.

The decision point is what level of suspension improvement you are expecting. If you are looking to be competitive, the Ohlins DU 737 is not going to cut it in my opinion. If you are wanting something a bit better than stock, save your money because the improvement is marginal at best. Set up the Sachs correctly and it will be just about as good as the Ohlins, but not as pretty. :smile2:

·
Registered
157 Posts
It is a quality piece that works very well on the street.
VS

The decision point is what level of suspension improvement you are expecting. If you are looking to be competitive, the Ohlins DU 737 is not going to cut it in my opinion.
=

Street vs track. OP said 'possible track days.' If you are trying to be competitive on the track, you need to be bike shopping, not shock shopping.

Personally, I'm in the same boat as the OP... trying to make my 796 work better on the street and the slim possibility of a track day or two. The DU737 seems like a pretty reasonable solution.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I installed the Ohlins on my 1100 evo and came to the same conclusion in that it was not much better than the stock Sachs unit. As far as having the correct spring fitted, AFAIK all authorized Ohlins dealers offer that service.

The decision point is what level of suspension improvement you are expecting. If you are looking to be competitive, the Ohlins DU 737 is not going to cut it in my opinion. If you are wanting something a bit better than stock, save your money because the improvement is marginal at best. Set up the Sachs correctly and it will be just about as good as the Ohlins, but not as pretty. :smile2:
What exactly didn't you like about it?

Yes, you will be asked for your rider weight before purchasing the Ohlins shock so you will get a spring suited to you.

I found the stock shock harsh over bumpy roads despite being fairly softly sprung and I did have the stock suspension setup for me prior to installing the Ohlins shock. The Ohlins was much better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a quality piece that works very well on the street.
VS

The decision point is what level of suspension improvement you are expecting. If you are looking to be competitive, the Ohlins DU 737 is not going to cut it in my opinion.
=

Street vs track. OP said 'possible track days.' If you are trying to be competitive on the track, you need to be bike shopping, not shock shopping.

Personally, I'm in the same boat as the OP... trying to make my 796 work better on the street and the slim possibility of a track day or two. The DU737 seems like a pretty reasonable solution.

The decision point is what level of suspension improvement you are expecting. If you are looking to be competitive, the Ohlins DU 737 is not going to cut it in my opinion. If you are wanting something a bit better than stock, save your money because the improvement is marginal at best. Set up the Sachs correctly and it will be just about as good as the Ohlins, but not as pretty.
What exactly didn't you like about it?

Yes, you will be asked for your rider weight before purchasing the Ohlins shock so you will get a spring suited to you.

I found the stock shock harsh over bumpy roads despite being fairly softly sprung and I did have the stock suspension setup for me prior to installing the Ohlins shock. The Ohlins was much better.

For reference guys I had the stock suspension tuned by the guys at ECS and although it does feel much better it is still kind of harsh.

Track days are possible be few and far between.

With most of my riding being done on twisties, street and highway will I notice that drastic of a diff between a 2 way adjustable and let's say a DU737 the Nitron R1 shock is the same price and has ride high adjustability as well

Anything 2 way adjustable is between 900 and 1200 for shocks I feel would be more by guage

What are your thoughts on remote vs piggyback on a Monster sometimes the difference there is 200 bucks

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
I think the main advantage of the Ohlins is they can be pretty much custom built to you and your riding.
They can be rebuilt by lots of very capable shops and parts are almost always available.
The magic in any suspension is having it built by a knowledgeable tech and then setup specifically for you.
They don't come much better than Rick Tannenbaum with Cogent Dynamics just outside Asheville, NC.
Cogent Dynamics - USA Made Motorcycle Suspension

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the main advantage of the Ohlins is they can be pretty much custom built to you and your riding.
They can be rebuilt by lots of very capable shops and parts are almost always available.
The magic in any suspension is having it built by a knowledgeable tech and then setup specifically for you.
They don't come much better than Rick Tannenbaum with Cogent Dynamics just outside Asheville, NC.
Cogent Dynamics - USA Made Motorcycle Suspension

Thanks, I'll give Rick a call.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts