Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Greetings from a brand new Ducati owner herself -- 2006 Sport Classic Monoposto.....gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

Anyway, I've been lurking for a while (just like it says in the newbie advice) but now I've got a couple of questions.

The first has to do with monoposto exhaust options - would you concur that there are really four options?
- Termis (from the Ducati accessories realm - the long, black ones)
- Arrow (shorter cans, both shiny and carbon-ish looking)
- Zard
- Staintune

Aesthetically my favorite is the Arrow -- because I want the shorter, carbon cans instead of the longer Termis. (Basically I want the Termis that are an option on the Monster 696 - http://www.advancedmotorsports.com/Termignoni-Carbon-racing-exhaust-system-kit-696-p/96452509b.htm) Does anybody know of another brand other than the Arrows that look at all like the Monster Termis?

Last question -- and this has to do with helmets.

I have a nice HJC helmet that I've worn for years and I love how it fits. But now that I have the Duc....the colors dont match. :D Would painting it really damage the structural integrity of the helmet? I've looked for answers online but haven't really found a good answer.
I've got the materials to do a nice job (airbrush, paint, etc.)- but of course I'm just gonna get a new helmet if painting the one I"ve got would make it less safe.

Thanks for the tips fellas! I plan on posting pics of the bike as soon as I get new exhaust - whichever I settle on!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
There are a couple more exhaust options, but you got the basics. I think the best system, bang for buck, is the 2 into 1 arrows. I don't think you mentioned that one. I have the slip one staintunes and I like them. As for the helmet. You should replace a helmet every five years from the manufacturing date. Something about the foam gasses the air that reduces its effect over years. Don't put any money into an old helmet, get yourself a nice safe new one. Full Face as well.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
i agree with papa... the 2 into 1 system is the best, Arrow or Termi (which are quite similar for that setup), but there is also the shark 2 into 1 system for the mono that looks and sounds the business.

welcome to the fam.

and yes, get a good, tight fitted, full face helmet... pick it for the fit before you pick it for the color...

cheers!
D.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i agree with papa... the 2 into 1 system is the best, Arrow or Termi (which are quite similar for that setup), but there is also the shark 2 into 1 system for the mono that looks and sounds the business.

D.
I forgot about the shark. It is cool, and I think it comes with an ecu. Termis will also come with an ecu. My dealer has the shark 2 into 1 for sale for around $900.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would splurge for the zard 2-2. If I could jam that onto my 1000S I would be the happiest boy in all the land. I'd pay someone a couple notes to bend and torque those suckers on that bad boy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the Staintune full exhaust system. I think it sounds great, but I needed to add a Fat Duc 02 manipulator to make it work right. Here's a pic of the whole thing.

And, just for fun, here are comparison pics of the old and new exhaust.

Worth the swap, I think.

And I second or third the comment about getting a new helmet if your old one is more than a few years old. You don't have to spend more than a couple hundred dollars for a good one. Read some of the reviews on Web Bike world.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a ton for the responses, guys. I'm gonna get a new helmet like most of you suggested -- and I promise it'll be full face. I got no time for anything less -- the point is to live to RIDE the thing.

I think I'm gonna go with the Arrows -- just cause I'm not crazy about chrome/stainless -- and I like both the two-canister look (not a fan of 2-into-1), and carbon or matte black. I'm gonna keep my eyes and ears open a little longer before I decide. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Congrats on the great bike and welcome! If it helps regarding biting the bullet and buying a new helmet, it's a good idea to buy a new one every several years anyway, especially if you sweat (oops - you being a girl I meant to say glow :)), a lot, as that and sunlight weaken them over time. So feel safe and liberated in going with a new one!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the nut house, Julie. It's nice to have a girl among us for a change. :)

Enjoy your mono, have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
758 Posts
It is all personal taste of course, but I think the Termi 2:2 was what Pierre Terblanche really had in mind when he designed the bike. The whole point of the offset rear shock on the left side was to compliment and balance the visual of the stacked pipes on the right. And there was so much effort in creating the swingarm to allow the exhaust to pass under. The bike is truly a piece of art.

If you are looking for a new helmet, this one is nice too.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Julie,

Congratulations on your acquisition.... great choice!

As far as exhausts go, I love the zards, in my humble opinion nothing looks or sounds better - but hey, each to their own!

I removed the Zard badges and had them polished. Since this photo was taken the headers have turned a nice gold / blue colour covering the first 8 inches or so from the cylinders.

Whatever you choose, I am sure you will be happy with it. Just one word of advice, don't rush into a decision...have a good look around, talk to people, have a listen to the various exhausts in the flesh if possible.

Good luck!!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts