Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone with the standard hyper upgraded to the monobloc Brembos from the 1098? Is it a simple swap of calipers or do the brackets, master cylinders, rotors etc need to be switched as well?

Thanks in advance for any info

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
I believe you may need to change the spacers ... the 1098 has 320 discs and the Hyper, I think, has 300mm discs.

The spacers are cheap and readily available.

Or, you can do what I did and get these for roughly the same price.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
both the s and the standard hypertard have 305 mm front rotors, so no spacers are required to swap calipers.

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
both the s and the standard hypertard have 305 mm front rotors, so no spacers are required to swap calipers.
I had a brain fart.

The caliper mounting bolt spacing is 100mm on both the 2-piece cast pieces of shit on the standard model and the awesomeness with awesomesauce M4 monoblocs on the Hyper S/1098. The spacers you would need (if there are any at all) should already be on the Hyper ... it's a direct bolt-on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

Track day coming up and I am not completely happy with the feedback of the standard units.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I had a brain fart.

The caliper mounting bolt spacing is 100mm on both the 2-piece cast pieces of shit on the standard model and the awesomeness with awesomesauce M4 monoblocs on the Hyper S/1098. The spacers you would need (if there are any at all) should already be on the Hyper ... it's a direct bolt-on.
those 2-piece cast bits of shit still shit over most other things on other bikes! I'd love to try the mono's tho.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yeah the cast 2 piece on the standard hyper are basically the same calipers that were on the Ducati 999R and Aprilia RSVR factory. The monoblocs do rock though!

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Yeah the cast 2 piece on the standard hyper are basically the same calipers that were on the Ducati 999R and Aprilia RSVR factory. The monoblocs do rock though!
I do believe that both of those bikes have larger discs than the Hyper which makes a HUGE difference in front brake bite and feel.

My 749S with axial two-piece calipers brakes harder than my Hyper with the radial-mount, standard, 2-piece cast shit pots.

·
Registered
196 Posts
What the Monoblocs are now the brake caliper du jour? Thought I read several other threads where everyone was saying the mono's were overkill, same for the stocker's for that matter?
If you think the stockers are shit, try throwing a set of Harley calipers on the ol'e HM. Those put the F.U. to your braking fun!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
no worries ... i have those about every 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

I had a brain fart.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Thanks guys,

Track day coming up and I am not completely happy with the feedback of the standard units.
you might try using different pads ... i am about to switch to some new pads on front and back, and will go with a more aggressive, sintered style pad.

also, since i bled the lines and put in racing brake fluid (some german dot4 blue colored fluid), the front brake lever is molto stronger on pull, and has a molto better feel.

ymmv :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are probably right. I just bought the bike a few months ago and have upgraditis. It's too late though, I have a set of slightly used monoblocs on the way and now would appreciate recommendations on appropriate street/track pads.

Oh what a slippery slope it is...:)

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Oh what a slippery slope it is...:)
I'm WAAAAY ahead of you on that slope, my friend. My Hyper is currently getting:

new bars (henry reed)
new brakes (HP series)
slipper clutch (4 spring corse-style)
new masters (Brembo w/folding levers)
new slave (EVR)
new bodywork and paint (NCR carbon)
new cams (DP)
new engine side cover (NCR Magnesium)
new grips (factory superbike take-offs)
new bar ends (motovation)
new rear hugger (Shift-Tech)
new clutch cover (some company I can't remember)

All this on top of the other stuff I already have ... and there's probably a few other bits I've forgotten on the list.

To say it's a slipper slope is the understatement of the year. It's a freakin' sickness... :eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well it looks like the front brake line needs to be changed as well. The banjo bolt angle is different between the standard and the S model. Galfer and Spiegler do not carry the lines though you can order a custom line. I have ended up ordering an S model line. I also was unable to find Vesrah pads to fit, so went with Carbone Lorraines. Did a track day on Sunday and found the stock brakes to be good with RBF Motul fluid. Interested to see if there will be a difference with the monoblocs.

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
same as your Arrows, seat and other bolt ons....:rolleyes:
All the other stuff is pretty subjective. However, I actually have empirical evidence to support my claim on the brakes.

While riding on Sunset Blvd. last night I bumped into a woman with huge boobs at an intersection. She said that when I stopped at the light her tits wobbled. Therefore, my new brakes rock tits. :D :D

·
Registered
868 Posts
All the other stuff is pretty subjective. However, I actually have empirical evidence to support my claim on the brakes.

While riding on Sunset Blvd. last night I bumped into a woman with huge boobs at an intersection. She said that when I stopped at the light her tits wobbled. Therefore, my new brakes rock tits. :D :D
Well shit, that IS empircal-lactical evidence... you win....again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts