Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One time in my life I wish I had a bike cam! Last weekend while slipping through the twisty mountains not far from my place, I was following a newish R1. We were at a fairly brisk pace when we tipped into a left hander and I see his gear leaver boot come off the peg and start to dangle till we exit the corner and punch on. We then come to the next brake point another left hander and his boot once again comes off the peg and does the Rossi dangle.

I laughed so much I nearly pissed my leathers!!!:D

·
Registered
772 Posts
Bwahahahaha! Did he have an AGV lid too? That's too good.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
One time in my life I wish I had a bike cam! Last weekend while slipping through the twisty mountains not far from my place, I was following a newish R1. We were at a fairly brisk pace when we tipped into a left hander and I see his gear leaver boot come off the peg and start to dangle till we exit the corner and punch on. We then come to the next brake point another left hander and his boot once again comes off the peg and does the Rossi dangle.

I laughed so much I nearly pissed my leathers!!!:D
when asked, Rossi can't explain why he does. He may be hiding something or he may honestly not have a clue. It could be a nervous/pressure habit.
Stoner has been trying it, too as well as others. But no one can explain the benefit.
By sticking your leg out, you technically lower the center of gravity.

·
Registered
315 Posts
when asked, Rossi can't explain why he does. He may be hiding something or he may honestly not have a clue. It could be a nervous/pressure habit.
Stoner has been trying it, too as well as others. But no one can explain the benefit.
By sticking your leg out, you technically lower the center of gravity.
actually I cant remember what issue of BIKE magazine had it but rossi specifically said it was to help with braking

·
Registered
790 Posts
^ Yeh something like braking and I think He feels comfortable doing it. So I guess if he's more comfortable then it helps him..

haha. That's great!
There was one time where Rossi stuck his leg out so far that Lorenzo couldn't pass haha. it's 09 race.

·
Registered
76 Posts
^ Yeh something like braking and I think He feels comfortable doing it. So I guess if he's more comfortable then it helps him..

haha. That's great!
There was one time where Rossi stuck his leg out so far that Lorenzo couldn't pass haha. it's 09 race.
Sachsenring

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I always wondered why Rossi did the dangle myself, then I rode a supermoto and got more of an appreciation for going "leg out" vs. knee down. I was watching his maveuver one day and it occured to me that maybe he was doing a modified sumo "leg out" on entry, it really helps get the bike turned in quickly. Maybe it doesnt make much sense, but if you've ridden a motard, you'd know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've been doing it for years..................... on my dirt bike, usually just before I crash..............

·
Registered
30 Posts
gotta love it but we all know some chump on an r1 is no rossi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVrhs_doGcE (clearly rossi rides an R6)
but in all honesty its great cuz now you see lorenzo stoner pedrosa kicking a leg out. but then again the way he rides if he (rossi) took a dump in his agv and put it on before every race id put money on someone else doing the same before the season was over... hes just nasty they all are.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
He was probably passing gas once, lifted his leg for some extra leverage and it was caught on camera, then discussed by the "racing commentators" as the mystery technique. I would not doubt Rossi is having a good laugh to himself that ever body movement he makes results is someone copying it. It probably hurts form, and he just having fun with his puppet powers.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes, I am surprised that not all of them are coping the Rossi squat beside the bike before they mount!

·
Registered
772 Posts
yes, I am surprised that not all of them are coping the Rossi squat beside the bike before they mount!
It doesn't seem to work for stretching his leathers out, because you still see him picking them out of his ass crack three times on the warmup lap.

·
Registered
274 Posts
it gives him more stability under heavy breaking. he also said he wants to collect 1 euro for every time another rider does it

·
Registered
135 Posts
He was probably passing gas once, lifted his leg for some extra leverage and it was caught on camera, then discussed by the "racing commentators" as the mystery technique. I would not doubt Rossi is having a good laugh to himself that ever body movement he makes results is someone copying it. It probably hurts form, and he just having fun with his puppet powers.
definitely the most plausable explanation yet!

·
Registered
268 Posts
More stability under braking sounds plausible.

I also wondered if it acted as an air-brake. Much like you see on fighter jets etc. - Hang on bear with me here:cool:

If you consider the drag that sticking your leg out at 320km/h (or even 200km/h) would generate - then maybe it all helps? When they are all on the razors edge perhaps having extra drag might provide that tiny bit of assistance when braking super late.

Really... the only one who knows is Rossi - and I agree he must kak himself when he sees everyone copy him!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Before I replaced the stock pegs, my left foot slipped off a couple times during a track day (towards the end of the day, I was tired). I don't like the feel of being off the peg before or during a turn; in fact it scared the crap out of me. Not for me, but I'm no Rossi either. I tend to think it's either to assist in braking or maybe helps setup body position for the turn. To me it looks awkward but 100+ wins it must work:D

I'll have to keep my eye out for for this on the street.

·
Registered
923 Posts
announcers said it helps drag the bike down quicker into the corners.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It doesn't seem to work for stretching his leathers out, because you still see him picking them out of his ass crack three times on the warmup lap.
BWAWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!Come on...you gotta stop...a 36yr old man pissing himself? I need to buy some depends....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts