Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 999 - I'm looking for the most bang for the buck to improve performance. I'm considering a full termi exhaust or a full rear ohlins suspension.

I hear that a full termi exhaust with ecu and power commander can run as much as $1,600.

Does anyone know what the full rear ohlins suspension might cost?

Which of these would be the best investment in terms of increasing "real" performance of the 999?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I don't think you can get a full system for 1600, if you can grab it. That sounds more like a slipon system. A full Ohins or a full Termi system you can more than likely double that figure.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
m3-999 said:
I have a 2004 999 - I'm looking for the most bang for the buck to improve performance. I'm considering a full termi exhaust or a full rear ohlins suspension.

I hear that a full termi exhaust with ecu and power commander can run as much as $1,600.

Which of these would be the best investment in terms of increasing "real" performance of the 999?

My opinion on the best investment. Money spent on track days and schools so you become a better rider. The bike has at least 140HP. Are you looking for more than that? What type of riding? Street?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, I do plan on doing a few schools followed by an occassional track day.
Do I need more power...? Is there such thing as too much power? I'm not sure how much power an exhaust would add...

You are right that being a better rider is always the best investment.

I'm just looking for feedback on whether a Termi exhaust or upgrading to the full Ohlins rear suspension, is a better investment?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I agree that it's mostly the rider so anything to help that has got to be first (and it is the most fun!). Having said that, anyplace the Ducati is going to shine (on the track or in the twistys) the suspension is WAY ahead of anything you are going to do to the exhaust. On a smooth track, it may not be as huge an issue, but on a bumpy and twisty back road?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I went through the same dilemna and went for both (on a 749S), plus fork revlave and respring. Your'e going to do both, just go for it now. The exhaust released the mean personality of the bike, rather than giving me much of a performance gain and without a PC and dyno time (which I haven't done yet) there's little to shout about except above 9000 rpm, which is where it likes to be on the track. On the 999 maybe the slip on is enough, otherwise I got my full 54mm '05 system for $2K. Ohlins for rough Angeles Crest surfaces. On the track I found the stock Showas worked well for my speed.

Also how my 749S respnds to the termi is going to be different than on your 999,

By the way NCRick is doing my suspension work. Rick, the forks are on their way. Can't wait to get it all back together.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Cool man! I can't wait to get my hands on those forks! I got to hook up with JohnBoy on saturday we got a ride in (short for me) and helped him with the sag and stuff.

Now the question was about performance, not character. I really believe this stuff and on my 750 ss I went for more than a year and 14,000 miles on the stock exhaust. I actually think the exhaust made me slower because all the sound took away from the feel of the tires or just my concentration. Having said that, it really wasn't a Ducati until it had the music to go with the rest of the package! As far as Ducati character, you NEED the exhaust! A set of slip-on cans are likely just as good as a full system with a stock motor.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i'd make sure you have nice riding/protective gear, then track days, then exhaust. i don't really know your riding ability, but i'd say that you might want to make sure you can't get your shock set up to your liking before you get an ohlins. otherwise it's just for bling like chrome and tassels on a harley. lucky you for having such a decision to make. :D

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
m3-999 said:

Lets see, you asked about exhaust and suspension, but others have talked about schools, leathers, and .... Guess that indicates other's desires, not yours.

I'd go with the exhaust simply because I don't think at your level that the upgraded suspension will benefit you.

But, I am not aware of a full Termi is $1600, maybe the can, but not a full system, with a Power Commander. Someone has told you wrong. Yes, sometimes you might get a full exhaust on sale, but not normally:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Termignoni-54mm-Full-System-Ducati-749S-SALE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35619QQitemZ4616365395QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I'd just go with the can, not the full system.

Quite frankly, if one has to ask which is the better upgrade and if you thought a full Termi, with ECU, can run as much as $1600 [meaning that is the high end for such a setup], then you probably won't recognize the difference in upgrades. So that is why I say change the can, because everyone I know who has a 999 hates the stock 999 sound.

FWIW: Are you planning on taking the 999 to track days? Unless you are made of money, I wouldn't. You need to get a beater for that. Something you can put some plastic on and not be worried about crashing or dropping. While others may root you on to the track with your 999, see where they are when it comes time to pay for new fairings or other expensive 999 parts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks rotorooterguy - I'll have to check the price of the exhaust I was quoted.. It was around $1600 unless they miss quoted the price.

For the respondents - I have leathers, boots and such.
I won't necesssarily be RACING.. It will be more riding schools for me than pushing the limits at track days. However, I don't have the luxury of an overly patient wife who will allow me to have a designated track/racing bike. That would be sweet.

In the past I've really enjoyed having the upgraded ohlins suspension on a k1200rs. It made a whole lot of difference in just street riding. It was never used on a track. I know when you are coming through canyon roads, like Mines Road and Del Puerto Canyon, the pavement gets pretty rough.

I agree that the sound of an aftermarket bike can make all the difference in the world in the sex appeal of the bike. I heard that there is a power increase of about 2-3 horse power not 8 as mentioned in the link you sent. however, can anyone describe how loud the Termi's are? I would be ok with a deeper/throater sound... don't want a sound that attracts additional attention from the local LEOs...

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
The Termi full systems sounds great to me, not too loud but some rumble. Plus it looks better. $1600 is a killer dealer my full system for a 749 was quite a bit more.

For me I wouldn't blow the money on an Ohlins, I've got a full Ohlins suspension (forks, shock, damper) on my Aprilia RSV, it's ok. I prefer a Penske shock any day. I've had 2 Penske's, great shock, and comes set-up for you out of the box if your order right.

I've got the luxury of a dedicated track bike, but I still have taken my 749s on the track. What's the sense of having a great bike to ride around the streets, and never get near it's or your limits...Going to the track thinking that you're only going to cruise around is a noble thought. To me track days can be more scarey than racing. Get two people going the same direction on a track and it's always a race ;)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Full system is louder and deeper, but not very loud. It's also 7lbs lighter. I installed it myself. Biggest difference I notice is the intake sound. It really growls now and is definitely louder.

And why wouldn't you take it to the track. A lot of people talk about mid range power, and that's great, but wait until you ride that thing at much higher rpms, lap after lap. Its a completely insane and addictive experience that can only really be experienced there. My 749S wide open on the track is incredible, a complete revelation. My first time out I thought that this can't be good for it, but that thought lasted about a lap - its a bike not a child.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that (I dont track just street/freeway) that these bikes come into California pretty constricted and de-tuned etc.

first thing I did was the whole chip/airflow/exhaust routine and both my bikes immediately 'ran better' felt better smoother all of that. now..i dont do much 150 mph riding, so for me, anyways, redoing that system seems like the best first step for an over-all 'happy engine'.

its like..with the stock setup the bikes felt constipated, now they seem much more free-flowing.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Poser value - get the exhaust (but you need the right chip for it).

Usable ride value - spend the money on revalving the front shocks and upgrading the rear shock - a suspension matched to your weight & riding should be the first place you spend your $$$.

And a good school & trackdays just makes too much sense so don't even consider it...

I have a buddy who bought a fancy exhaust for his 996 track bike but I don't notice it too much only when I'm passing him... I'm usually AHEAD of him on my little 748 with a cheapo Arrow slip-on.

G

·
M3, Your in a tough position. Which one to do first. The exhaust would sound great on your bike but you really don't need more power. The suspension would be the way to go. Yes, We sell Ohlins but I also sell exhaust. You will notice the biggest difference with the suspension for your Dollar. A suspension that is sorted will make the bike perform better on the street and on the track. If you can't put the power down to the ground and make it turn, then what's the point of the power. If you need help figuring out what to buy, just send me a IM or give me a call at the shop. -Ken

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.