Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,

What are the modifications to make our ducati last longer?

I have done only slipper clutch and exhaust for all the ducati I have had. Now that I am getting older with three daughters, I want to be able to treat my bikes right to ride it for longer and safer.

There are many postings about how to treat air-cooled engine to last longer but couldn't find about water cooled engine.

My bike is 2010 1198s.
Any reccomendation?

·
Premium Member
6,112 Posts
Hello friends,

What are the modifications to make our ducati last longer?...
No mods needed... Just don't commute on it. And take it out only when the weather is absolutely spectacular, without any chance of precipitation.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Well a slipper and Termignoni exhaust won't make it "last longer". The dry clutch on a Ducati is basically a maintenance item. The basket and plates are throw away stuff, the hub lasts longer and in a non slipper will usually not need replacing. A slipper wears the basket and clutch pack faster...maybe not as much for street riding, but a slipper has more moving parts which wear. I would say on a slipper the basket, hub and clutch pack are throw away items due to wear. I take my DP slipper apart all the time. Clean the plates, hub, ramps, basket. Then grease the ball bearing ramps and put it back together. A Ducati requires much more care than it's Japanese rivals. Which IMO makes them more endearing....and frustrating for sure.
The key is maintenance, keep up with it, change the oil and you should be fine!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I did put slipper and pipes to use it in the track.
What I wanted to know is that if there is any mod that can help cool the engine more efficiently or better air filter will help engine cleaner.
Guess I made a stupid question, huh?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Personal experience, dont use the DP filter. It doesnt seal for %^$^% and will allow alot of dust past the filter. I pulled mine when i went to the MWR individual filters and the only thing trapping the dust in the airbox was oil from the crankcase breather.

I had the filter in there for 6 months. Im amazed im not burning oil.

Get any of the MWR type filters that have an actual seal against the air ducts and you should increase the engines lifespan.

Also change the oil often, with a quality oil.

I run engine ice in my 1198, and the new "approved" coolant in the MTS 12.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Well, I did put slipper and pipes to use it in the track.
What I wanted to know is that if there is any mod that can help cool the engine more efficiently or better air filter will help engine cleaner.
Guess I made a stupid question, huh?
There are no stupid questions here....the more you ask, the more you'll know.
Regarding the filters, again they are maintenance items...not sure how much performance you'll get out of a washable set. That said PiperCross and BMC I understand makes the best stuff. I would immediately buy a Cox Racing screen for my radiator and oil cooler. Get those on pronto! This will keep the matrix from getting damage and loaded with junk. You'll protect the rads and keep them operating at peak efficiency.
Just change the oil every 3K....my buddy who owns an old ZX11 changes his every 1K miles. That engine runs like a freakin' top....but that engine is so bullet proof it could have the original oil and run like a top!
Funny I bought a DP slipper for my 999 and I regret it. I use my 999 for street only, even with it's 1038cc over bore kit and extra HP I really don't need it. It does lightened up things a bit .....and I love to tinker, so taking it apart and maintaining it is something I look forward to.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Avoid crashing the bike, change the oil often with synthetic, and keep the eletrcial system in top shape by cleaning the connectors and storing with the battery on a tender. Do the other maintenance items like belts and valves on schedule (time elapsed or mileage).

Do these things and I see no reason why a modern Ducati won't go 100,000 miles in street use, or several thousand of track day laps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts