Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:abduct: just changed the sprockets and all carbon rear fairing...any suggestions? :)

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
what else have you got on her?

oliver7.. Why paint it red? It´s already the best color! HA! :D

·
Registered
463 Posts
amullo said:
what else have you got on her?

oliver7.. Why paint it red? It´s already the best color! HA! :D
you mean the natural carbon?:D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Have you done anything with the exhaust yet?? what about open clutch cover? frame plugs? new windscreen? just some other things to think about..hope that helps

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow thanks guys...yea i have new sprockets on there...best mod i did...carbon fairing....which really made it alot lighter love it....and i wasthinking exhaust but its SO expensive and im about to pick up a mille 04 brand new 11 grand...love those priller left overs haha...im thinking of making one a track bike not sure which yet...that 749 is a dream on a track i know for a fact i loved riding that thing on track days....mille..eh maybe...might be to big

ps i hate the aprilia forum...SUCH assholes...you have no idea...

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Here are the mods in order of importance as I see them (this is just MPO)

*Gearing - drop 1t front or increase 2-3T rear.
*Mag-wheels - Lighter wheels are instant performance inhancers. Turning, braking and acceleration are very much improved.
*Exhaust and FiM/PC/ECU/Chip - just to let the sound out. I like Termignoni myself.
*Extented handlebars - Makes turning the bike easier. Less effort makes for easier riding
*Suspension upgrades if you ride alot of track
*Brake upgrade with better brakepads like EBC HH or performance friction
*Slipperclutch or lightweight clutch - free revving engine and better pull. best for "big" engines.
*CF fairings and tank - just to make things lighter.

Now.. These are just my 2 cents.. and they are probably best suited for those of us who ride alot of track time.

//amullo

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats funny i did the gearing...lol ...err i have a long way to go...lightened wheels tho...how are they on the roads...do they crack easier..i live in pot whole infested nj....

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
RI749 said:
+1

I followed that list exactly. Were you spying on me?

Err... "I PLEAD THE 5:TH!"

:D :D :D :D :D

Nah.. I just sorta followed the advice of those around me that had more experience then i did.

I´ve used Mag-wheels on the road for a couple of years and i love them. No cracking or anything, but you need to be careful. There are 2 ways to go when getting lighter wheels (well.. 5 to be exact)

Forged or Cast wheels
Aluminium or Magnesium (Or carbon fiber.. or mag/CF but BIG $)

Forged is lighter then Cast
Aluminum is heavier then Magnesium

From "heavy" to "light"
Cast Aluminium
Forged Aluminium
Cast Magnesium
Forged Magnesium
Forged Magnesium/CF
Carbon Fiber

Think about checking forged aluminium wheels, since they are lighter then stock, but have a very good ability to take abuse.

I went for cast Magnesium since i got a great deal, but forged Aluminium is a very good choice.

A few examples of weight.
10 spoke forged magnesium wheels : Front: 6.04lbs, Rear: 7.76lbs
Marchesini 5 spoke cast magnesium: Front - 6.80 lbs, Rear - 8.70lbs
Marchesini Alum Forged 10 spoke: Front: 7.64 pounds; Rear: 9.98
Ducati OEM Cast aluminum 5-spokes (996/998), 9.25 lbs front, 12 lbs rear
Ducati OEM Cast aluminum 3-spokes, 11.5 lbs front, 13 lbs rear

This is the best "bang for the buck" changes you will ever make to the bike. And if you sell it, resale on these usually hold up well. Besides.. If you get a 999, they will fit it also.

//amullo

·
Registered
125 Posts
oliver7 said:
Red paint.
Yep...Can't go wrong with red paint. Good for a 1/2 a second off your lap times anyday compared to yellow. And don't forget the stickers! All the race bikes have stickers for a reason :D

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
RI749 said:
I was told that forged aluminum wheels are actually stronger than the stock cast wheels.
True. Atleast compared to the OEM 3-spoke wheels.

I´m not sure about the 5-spokes.. Those came in three diffrent types. BiP, Mono and R.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmm good advise...as for a 999 im purchasing a mille in april...ive heard nothing but great things as a 749owner i thought itd be dumb to have both...so im keepin the 749 and getting a left over mille a steal really 04 brrand new 10 grand...1 thousand worth of carbon...im biased i like the ducs better but....999 is way more money...i dont want a jap bike...i dont wanna trade in my 749....and i wanna ride to south carloina from new jersey once or twice...i wouldnt trust my duc doing that :abduct:

no worries tho when i start racing in the spring ill probably be on a duc v-twin like a supersport...i hate jap bikes hahah sorry to get off topic

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thisnjducquacks said:
hmm good advise...as for a 999 im purchasing a mille in april...ive heard nothing but great things as a 749owner i thought itd be dumb to have both...so im keepin the 749 and getting a left over mille a steal really 04 brrand new 10 grand...1 thousand worth of carbon...im biased i like the ducs better but....999 is way more money...i dont want a jap bike...i dont wanna trade in my 749....and i wanna ride to south carloina from new jersey once or twice...i wouldnt trust my duc doing that :abduct:

no worries tho when i start racing in the spring ill probably be on a duc v-twin like a supersport...i hate jap bikes hahah sorry to get off topic
i have add
lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts