Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently working on customizing my GT1000. One of the things I'm doing is filling in the tank gap were seat merges into tank, hence the question.

What filler would be best suited to accomplish this?

Was thinking about going for fiberglass, but a layer of 8-9 mm or so seems crazy thick :eek:. Never done anything with fiberglass this thick.

Also, thought I'd stick in another question. Was disembling the bike completely and ran into some problems. The key-mount device seems to be permanently bolted to the frame, or am I wrong :think:? If you don't understand what I mean, see picture below.

Thanks in advance. Really appreciate any input.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Easier to extend the seat to the tank. ;)

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
If it's the special stud I'm thinking of (from doing my TMSD install), it's a security stud that the head breaks off during factory install. To remove you need to use vice-grips (as there is no hex after install) and you will need new screws for re-installation. You install the new screws until the heads break off.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's the special stud I'm thinking of (from doing my TMSD install), it's a security stud that the head breaks off during factory install. To remove you need to use vice-grips (as there is no hex after install) and you will need new screws for re-installation. You install the new screws until the heads break off.
Okay. Thanks.

Will try get it off on saturday. Will get back with progress report :p

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm not really sure what gap you want fill, but 8-9 mm is not a lot to build up with fiberglass. Many applications such as boat building build glass thickness far greater than that.
If you use fiberglass, my suggestion would be to build the new "filler part" independent of the seat and the tank and then attach it afterwards with adhesive. Don't mess with the structure or finish of the tank itself.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the answers.

I ended using polyester putty (not sure if this is the correct term, spackle in Sweden).

It's alot of work getting a smooth surface. Lots of layers and grinding. I'm careful not damaging the plastic tank itself, but going through primer paint in some areas, revealing the plastic, is inevitable.

I got the key mount off btw. Friction solved the problem :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Be careful using all putty to build up a lot of thickness. If you're not using anything to reinforce it will crack.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Be careful using all putty to build up a lot of thickness. If you're not using anything to reinforce it will crack.
Okay. Would this cracking be a result of hardening?
Area is basicly filled up now. Just working on the finish. Hasnt shown any signs of cracking so far.

·
Registered
420 Posts
It probably won't crack until you ride the bike. Once it is exposed to vibration and movement you'll be at risk.
Some putties will hold together better than others depending on what they're thickened with. If you used something intended for surface fairing you'll be at the most risk with shtick build up.
If you want to go with putty, something strong like an epoxy thickened with chopped glass and cabosil might hold up ok.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bumping my own thread.

I'm basicly done filling in the tank, and next step is to apply primer for paint.

I'm really unsure what primer to use though. I bought epoxy primer, thinking this would do. What will stick to the Ducati tanks? From what I can see (from polishing the tank down) the current painting seem to have a number of layers.

I'm not sure if the area in the middle is actually the plastic material, or another primer, as it doesn't match the material visible by the tank inlet.

Anyone know how to proceed regarding the primer? Don't want to end up having to repaint the whole thing once bike is finished :).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts