Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
has anyone ever attempted to modify the standard clutch cover (sounds like plastic) in to an open one?
Seems very do-able. but am not sure how strong that will be..
but than again, when there are so many extremely open clutchcovers on the market it can't be to dangares can it?

any comments, on this idea. like... go for it, or extremely stupid..

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ps: is it normal that when one (read me) take of his closed clutch cover.. it is full with eh.. black, grit like powder?

grtz matthieu

oke full, is bit to much, tee spoon full.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Heeft iemand een idee waar ik het Ducati.ms logo ergens groot kan vinden?

Found it :D

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

picture of my clutch cover with the ducati logo scratched in it...
unless people tell me that i'm stupid for some reason, i'll cut it open tomorrow. emery it clean, and spray paint it red... :D

and hope it will sound great :D

grtz

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
The stock cover is actually a manufacturing marvel. Its laminated. Two layers of sheet metal with plastic in between. Keeps things quiet. In fact, its called Quiet Steel. Quiet Steel - HWMSC Co., Ltd.
If you are going to poke holes in it, be aware that there are two layers of thin sheetmetal that will grab your bit, and toss your cover across the work bench. If you do this on a mill, use every available screw hole to hold it down.

If yours is plastic, don't pay me any mind, as I haven't seen a plastic one yet.

The cheap method is to simply remove the rubber gasket between the cover and the engine, and replace the metal spacers that are molded into the rubber gasket. Looks stock, lets your clutch breathe, and spreads all that lovely dust across the countryside, instead of saving it in your cover.

One caution of running an open cover, and you ride in the rain. Water in you clutch pack when you park it will rust your clutch pack together. Its a rather rude awakening when you go for a ride, start up your bike, pull in the clutch, and stab it into gear, only to have the bike lurch forward. What happens next is entirely up to your ability to keep the bike upright at 0.5mph when you weren't expecting it.

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
One caution of running an open cover, and you ride in the rain. Water in you clutch pack when you park it will rust your clutch pack together.
That's never happened to me and it pisses down 99.999% of the time over here, and I keep my bike outside in the elements 24/7.

·
Mr Leakered
8,782 Posts
The stock steel basket on the ST4 with the original closed cover and gasket was louder than my current set up: alloy basket, open cover, chopped airbox lid, and Remus cans. The steel basket was loud and chimed like church bells. I had to scream if anyone needed to hear me at idle. Now, a fairly loud conversation can be had with less annoying steel chiming.

Regarding rain, I have never experienced a problem after parking in driving rain. Although, the rare bike wash will lock the plates together. Never a long term problem though.

Neat info about the stock cover.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Hankstump,

thank you for your extended input. With this I can work!!
but I must inform you that I have gone ahead a little..
I actually allready drilled the holes in the wall to cut out the parts.

before drilling i inspected throughly the wall thickness, as i indeed noticed something perculiar about the material, not knowing what.
felt like aluminium, but sounded like a really hard plastic..

so your story about bilayered material, makes that idea really come into sense.
as I drilled it at slow speed and a brand new high quality drill, that material lamina didn't seperate yet..

The cutting out of the parts will be done by hand.. as a goldsmith (my profession) I feel very confident to be able to do that properly and leave a good finish. after that I will do a proper spraypaint (ducati read) to give my bike that one importent red part..

I also thought about spraying the clutch plate the same blue as my bike is in, to add a little more of the contrast... blue disk behind the red cover...

about the water... good thing to know!! 3 solutions...
1) i'll think about the spacers instead of the rubber... can imagine this will really look good and this will give it a proper water run out at the bottom, otherwise i'll drill a hole at the extreme low point.
2) i will keep the walls intact (more red), this way the water has more difficulty getting in (most comes from the top) and the rest will run away through my drains.
3) most important i'l will not let the motor stand still, to rust for a 'long to mediate time frame'

ride i will, and ride i shall :D

greatz matthieu

@ tonered and MarkST: thanks for the ensurance!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
That's never happened to me and it pisses down 99.999% of the time over here, and I keep my bike outside in the elements 24/7.
Yeah, the rust only happens over the span of a week or more. I think Mark you don't let your bike sleep for more than 10-12 hours, so you would never have experienced this.

And if it does rust up, no problem. Pull in the clutch, rock it back and forth, and its usually fee. Just check it before you make a scene of yourself at the curb.

Cheers, Phil

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got my paint, oke... not ducati red.. but a nice red... was in the discount and the color was so close to want i intended that i couldn't let it be...

allready started the cutting open part, but due to the sheort stroke.. (the lid is thick en the saw isn't that wide... it takes longer than i hoped but am well on my way. i'll post a pic after its open.

grtz

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you :D

but just wait till it's painted...
must say though it was a rough cut...
that laminar aluminium with plastic in the middle might be a marble of enginering, it's also a pain in the ass.. when cutting by hand... the plastic slightly molted on the sawblade, making it extremely sticky..
most of the energy went in to the strokes.. not the cutting..

but indeed turned out oke..

grtz

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nearly finished...

if anyone has an idea about the meaning of the half moon/ circle shap cut out of the plain plates of the clutch... (other post) i can put it together and post a picture.

grtz Matthieu

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As promissed a picture....

need to take it all apart again, but that will be for a later date this week..
still have to figure out the half moon, and need to replace the oil seal o-rings.

grtz Matthieu

ps: if in doubt, all OEM parts...
also, i misplaced a bolt, so i didn't forget it, just have to find it...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts