Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I will be purchasing an 848 soon and am planning on doing a few upgrades. I was hoping to get a little feedback from you experts...

I had a CBR600RR, bought it off the showroom floor after I graduated college. Never raced before, never brought it to the track. I just love to ride. After a couple hours or so, my wrists and back ache, hence the thought for the Streetfighter. I recently sat on one and liked what I felt.

As far as upgrades, I will put a slip on exhaust and tail tidy system, along with windshield. No problem there.

I would like advice on:

1. slipper clutch: I have had the rear wheel wobble and that is on a Honda

2. suspension: Seriously considering Ohlins front and rear, primarily rear. I know the SFS already has this, but it is too much bike for me. I don't mind upgrading if it will be an improvement for me. Being I just ride streets, is it worthwhile??

3. Brakes: Seriously considering a Brembo mono block up front. Being I just ride streets, is it worthwhile? I felt comfortable with my CBR600RR brakes and had no itch to upgrade.

Those are three serious upgrades I'm thinking to do, in that order...Although I hate to get my hands in the guts of the machine. If it ain't broke, you know?

Thank you!

·
Registered
442 Posts
1. No need, just blip the throttle on downshifts... I don't have one and I do lots of track days.

2. Not worth it if you're just on the streets.
3. Same as #2

·
Registered
69 Posts
1. No need, just blip the throttle on downshifts... I don't have one and I do lots of track days.

2. Not worth it if you're just on the streets.
3. Same as #2
Agreed.

Get your suspension setup, the 848SF has a fully adjustable Suspension.

The slipper is nice, however you are not going to be that agressive on the downshifting as if you would be on the track. When I went from my R6 (track bike) to the SF I thought I needed a slipper.. I have about 500miles on the SF right now, and never noticed a time that I needed to have a slipper.

·
Hammer Down
1,699 Posts
I'm not sure my SF 848 needs 2 and 3 or not but I'll probably get them at some point. I like the feel of the Brembo monoblocks and Ohlins are sweet. My next mod will most likely be some BST carbons if I can fit them. Looks like I need the wheels that will fit the 848 EVO but that's yet to be confirmed. I've definitely thought of going the route of "Baby" S model without all the carbon.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm not sure my SF 848 needs 2 and 3 or not but I'll probably get them at some point. I like the feel of the Brembo monoblocks and Ohlins are sweet. My next mod will most likely be some BST carbons if I can fit them. Looks like I need the wheels that will fit the 848 EVO but that's yet to be confirmed. I've definitely thought of going the route of "Baby" S model without all the carbon.
I would try changing the pads before the entire system.

For reference I went from stock pads on my track bike to Vesrah RJLs and it was a incredible difference. Much more agressive stopping power.

The suspension sounds like a personal preference. I have been riding track for about 3 years now, never on any Ohlins. Not saying they are not worth the money, because I am sure they are, if you are a professional/amature racer being sponsored :D

For street riding, knowing you spent the money, might make the butt dyno make you feel more secure, however you won't be pushing hard enough to get the real results without taking it to the track.

·
Hammer Down
1,699 Posts
I would try changing the pads before the entire system.

For reference I went from stock pads on my track bike to Vesrah RJLs and it was a incredible difference. Much more agressive stopping power.

For street riding, knowing you spent the money, might make the butt dyno make you feel more secure, however you won't be pushing hard enough to get the real results without taking it to the track.
I'll have to try those pads for sure thanks for the tip. In regards to the Ohlins you are right but I would love to have a set.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I was having a hard time justifying the cost of Ohlins suspension, I mean if it was damn, transforming ride, I may swing it, but getting stock suspension set for me is probably the best bet for me. I'm sure I could do without the mono bloc as well.

Still on the fence about the slipper clutch, I may pull the trigger on that. It is scary when the wheel comes out.

On a side note, I don't trust carbon wheels despite them being dropped and all. Personally I don't feel safe on them even if they are. I love the design of the SF wheels, too bad the 848s aren't forged. Not worth $3000 or so in my opinion for a loss of a couple pounds, unless someone can prove me wrong. OZ makes great wheels, one of the best forged wheels money can buy, but I'm not a fan of the design, love the strength and weight savings though. Carbon, too scary for me. I like the Marchesini Kompe R wheels, forged aluminum. Though not enough for me to spend the money considering the design is nearly identical and the weight savings is just not there, for what I do. Street ninja more or less.

Thanks for all the feedback.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts