Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Been lurking a bit and now that I need some help went and signed myself up. Picked up mon premiere canard - 2008 848 and since I've been riding (about 1 mo) I've noticed the suspension is very stiff for me.

Currently only getting 17mm on the front and 25mm on the back (including stiction) if our calculations were correct, and subsequently the bike gets a bit bucky over the bumps. Running OEM springs (96 on the front and 8.7kg rear). Planning on tracking the bike as well as street in the future. As I am still getting to know the bike (prev bikes were a Kawi 250 for street, CBR600F2 for track) I am not super aggressive and don't need stiffer suspension. My mechanic and I figured I'll need to drop a couple sizes on the front for my weight but have only found ~1 size down(to 90) through racetech, Ohlins was a no go for that light. In the meantime going to redo the measurements on the front since we think we have been a bit off when calculating. Rear measure is relatively accurate though.

So the question is - has anyone had to go this light on their suspension? if so where did you find the right size springs?

My only other option is I get to eat lots of cake and ice cream to put on 50lb but then I'll need new leathers which is more pricey than tweaking my suspension :)

Would love to get everyone's input/thoughts on this one.
Thanks from the sorta' n00b!!

ps. me and my motos live in Southern Ontario if this affects obtaining parts.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realise this is not news to anyone(including myself) that it's toight like a toiger.
Despite using the search button I couldn't find a thread specific to the info I was looking for so thought I would ask a community that would theoretically know more than my individual synapses rather than purposefully attempting to revive a fetid horse via further flagellation. What I was asking was if anyone knew of a company that manufactured springs in the range I needed as both myself *and* my "guru" couldn't find anything on initial searches.

Regardless of the verbal diarrhea that I am currently enjoying spewing, I came back on to post that the question is negated by re-measuring front springs today and determining I am fine to only go down the one spring size which is readily available through Racetech and possibly Ohlins as well.

Either way I am excited for the upcoming tweakage so we can get out on the track together to see what this bike can really do rather than lamesauce (aka limited) street riding.

The only disadvantage to this scenario is a bulking(read: cake, ice cream, and cookies) diet is now out of the question. :D
Ride hard and ride safe all.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I realise this is not news to anyone(including myself) that it's toight like a toiger.
Despite using the search button I couldn't find a thread specific to the info I was looking for so thought I would ask a community that would theoretically know more than my individual synapses rather than purposefully attempting to revive a fetid horse via further flagellation. What I was asking was if anyone knew of a company that manufactured springs in the range I needed as both myself *and* my "guru" couldn't find anything on initial searches.

Regardless of the verbal diarrhea that I am currently enjoying spewing, I came back on to post that the question is negated by re-measuring front springs today and determining I am fine to only go down the one spring size which is readily available through Racetech and possibly Ohlins as well.

Either way I am excited for the upcoming tweakage so we can get out on the track together to see what this bike can really do rather than lamesauce (aka limited) street riding.

The only disadvantage to this scenario is a bulking(read: cake, ice cream, and cookies) diet is now out of the question. :D
Ride hard and ride safe all.
Well, unless you've pulled out the springs in your 848, put them on a test bench and measured the resistance, 96 sounds like the wrong number. Shit, I run 95's in my 749R and they're pretty dam soft. My 848 has 1.0's in it and its stiffer then a 10lb brick of carbon fiber between my ass and the highway as the only suspension device! I get rattled off my bike, even with the preload all the way out. Sure, thats the highway system in so-cal for ya and the fact I don't weigh much (150lb), but still... totally unacceptable.

In terms of your shock... take it off the bike, open up the nearest trash can and dispense of it immediately, if not sooner....

What are you waiting for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

LOL :D

-Re-valve and spring the front (Ohlins valves/springs) 95 works good (145-160lb riders) 92 (130-145lb riders)
-Replace the shock with a standard Ohlins TTX with the proper spring rate (92-95) is what I'd recommend.
-Buy a Dan Kyle rear shock link
-Buy a Dan Kyle 30mm off set triple tree
-Visit your local race track, get it tuned.

Enjoy!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are you waiting for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
At this point - ordering in parts and installing said parts. Is next week here yet?! Boo to waiting. Not a fan.

As an aside I weigh less than you, and basing my assumption on your avatar alone - ride less aggressively than you (for now) which obviously is going to influence suspension set up. Not to mention I may be quite willing to put money on the roads in and around my city being worse than yours (do not remove hands and legs from the ride until it has come to a complete stop).

blah blah blah.
less talking. more riding.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm planning on an 848 this summer. Trading a 675 in on it. 675 has pretty good street suspension stock, but the racers all gripe about it not being good enough. I spoke with some guys on the forum and got suspension settings for my weight and set it there and haven't toucked it since. The trick is to figure where you will do most of your riding and set the suspension to deal with it. Yes, maybe a spring change for the rear would be needed, but I have found that most street riders need to just set up the stock God given suspension to handle bumps and forget about it. Just ride it.

This was in sport rider and seems to make sense:
Suggested Suspension Settings for 170/185 lb rider

Front
Spring preload: 3 lines showing; rebound: 7 clicks out from full stiff; compression: 1.5 turns out from full stiff; ride height: 10mm fork tube showing above top triple clamp

Rear
Spring preload: 10mm thread showing above collar; rebound: 5 turns out from full stiff; compression: 4 turns out from full stiff

·
Registered
642 Posts
The rear spring is too stiff for me(170lbs). Like Tye, my rear preload is all the way out and the sag still wasn't quite enough. It was a huge help to back out the preload. The bike was transformed, at least to my humble riding abilities.

I read through all articles I could find on 848 suspension settings and found that most magazines used the stock settings though they might use different ways to describe the same setting. I don't think I would trust any of those settings

I'm looking to get a new rear spring or more likely a new Ohlins shock. A TTX is probably not in the budget.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts