Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Oil...again

It is also worth mentioning that I change my oil at 3000 miles or less..
As I believe most of us do..
And by the response I read it seems pretty clear you didnt read that SHell is also JASO MA rated(the synthetic T6)and I believe it is also available in 15W-40.
The DIesel oils are considered pretty good base stock....among the best.
You may want to read this also...or at least look at the pictures..:D

Testing Motorcycle Oil
This was pretty interesting.
MIke S

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I read through the Testing Motorcycle Oil article, pretty interesting but a little dated, 1994. Although I'm sure oil has improved in the last 16 years. IIRC, Mobil 1 was made with a better base stock back (Catagory 4) then compared to now (catagory 3). I know they used to advertise 25,000 miles on the Mobil 1 containers way, way back when. I'm not sure of what catagory the Mobil 1 was when he tested it.

I'm still reluctant to run the Shell Rotella, for two simple reasons. The most obvious would be, if it's so good why doesn't Shell recommend it for gasoline engines? There are a hell of a lot more gas engines on the road (in the US at least) then there are diesel engines. If you want to sell more oil, state the obvious, that's just basic marketing, and put gasoline engine compatability on the label. It seems that they have a zillion certs, changing a label can't be that expensive.
And secondly, would be material compatability. I know diesel and gas engines use similar metals, but are the seal materials compatable? I don't know what Ducati uses for seal material and I hate learning the "hard way".

For me, it's simply a cost vs. risk. I can buy Mobil 1 for $23.00 for 5 liters or 4 liters of Rotella for $20.00. Oil wears out, both will eventually need to be changed. I doubt there will be any performance increase/decrease that I'll notice between the two brands. But if a seal(s) fails, I'm not going to be thinking about how much money I saved by switching to a slightly less expensive oil. That cost is negligible compared to the downtime and repair costs.

·
Super Moderator
26,453 Posts
Risk? Jack, you're not the first person to use Rotella in a motorcycle, but if you are more comfortable with Mobil One, then by all means use it. There's no downside here.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Oil

WOW...I had heard that oil was ...or could be a hot button issue...NExt time I will start a "whats the best bike" thread:)...or maybe a tire thread...:)
Mike

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Hey Mike, there's no "heat" here, just stating my point of view, that's all. If I hadn't read here that one of the members was using Rotella in their bike and car engines, it would have never occured to me. Simply because diesel engine oil is tailored for a diesel engine and I would have left it at that.

So I learned something new the other day, Rotella oil works in gas engines.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My initial thought that he was kidding, running diesel engine oil in gasoline powered engine, just doesn't make sense. The bi-products of diesel fuel combustion are different then the bi-products of gasoline combustion. How these bi-products react/mix/contaminate the oil system can effect the oil service life and performance. I'm assuming that the oil manufacturers adjust their oils to compensate for the different bi-products.

In addition, I believe the diesel engine tolerences are tighter than a gas engine, as are the standard operating temps.

Lastly, you'd think that some half-wit marketing whiz would simply include that the Rotella T6 can be used in a gasoline powered engines, both automotive or motorcycle. They can print all the alphabet soup certs that the oil has passed, but the average Joe Slob doesn't know what those mean or will spend their time trying to figure it out. It makes me think there is a certain amount of product liability that Shell is not willing to accept and no, I do not have an axe to grind with Shell.

I can just hear the lawyer say "You ran a diesel engine oil in your motorcycle and it blew up. Now you want the Shell to buy you a new motor."
Me: Yes.
Lawyer: Is or was the engine in your motorcycle a diesel?
Me: No.
Lawyer: Show me where, on this product label it says you can run this oil in a gasoline engine.
Me: Ahh, I can't. It doesn't say that.
Lawyer: Then why would you put diesel oil in a gas engine?
Me: "'Cuz the guys on the internet said it was a good oil to run in a motorcycle ....."
Courtroom laughter ......
Judge: Case dismissed, next!
you dont want diesel oil for your bike cuz its not design for that but you use
mobil 1 car oil in it ???

·
Registered
212 Posts
I went to auto Zone today to pick up a case of Mobil 1 but they had two types
which one is better for my 748 track bike 10/40 racing 4T or V twin 20/50
I usually use 15/50 or 20/50 in my Ducati's but what is the racing 4T.
Which one does everybody recommend out of the two.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I went to auto Zone today to pick up a case of Mobil 1 but they had two types
which one is better for my 748 track bike 10/40 racing 4T or V twin 20/50
I usually use 15/50 or 20/50 in my Ducati's but what is the racing 4T.
Which one does everybody recommend out of the two.
The V-Twin is more for the harley kinda twin.i would go with the Racing 4T

·
Registered
388 Posts
i just bought 2 of them yesterday at walmart. i asked the sales person and she said that weight is always in stock. as i left i told her there are 3 left on the shelves and she said she will go ahead and order more.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts