Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plug in the picture was lost on a long fast ride back home two weekends ago. Wonderful ride and showed how nice a DB2 realy is at speed.

So I asked Bob and he said he could get it, if I could not find it at a local Ducati dealer. I tried but they are as useless as a bike with flat tires. So I tried another Ducati shop that had helped me in the past when every local shop was a two week wait +++. He could not help. I posted on line here and got not much help, I posted on line in Europe and got a few ideas. I posted on line with a Moto Guzzi group (My wifes bike is an SP1000) and got more replies in 4 hours than others gave me in a week. Shame shame.

I decided to slug it out because I did not have the time to ride but the time to look. I have a few machinist tools and used them to figure out it could be an 18mm fine thread (also some ideas from the Guzzi group and one guy who offered up a spare plug he has.) so I bought a 18 x 1.5 mm bolt and tested it. Seemed to fit, so I got a oil plug of the same size but it did not! WTF :think:
I had contaced the guy with the spare plug at this point to get his plug, even if I just use it to make sure what it is I have and send it back, it will be worth it. A machinist friend came over tonight and we found it could be a 18 x 1 or perhaps 18 x 1.25. Measuring threads in a small hole is not eazy and the dif between 1 and 1.25 pitch is also hard to see. Not only that but threads are not just simple twists on a rod. They can be VERY complicated and I would not put it past Bimota to have found the one thing we will all kill to get in the future.

I will beat this stupid little plug and I will post it here and all the other Bimota web groups I belong to so the next poor bastard can look it up. (Of course the subject line of Mission Impossible will make finding it just that.):rolleyes:

I'll let you know, but in the mean time if there is a machinist with a DB2 and that plug I would love to know the thread pitch on this puppy.

Andreas
Catimann

·
Registered
62 Posts
we have those plugs in stock - they are an m18 x 1.5 (we also stock the smaller plugs used on ducatis exhaust pipes). i'm not sure why your oil plug did not work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts