Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Thanks for the help on the pick-ups, but it seems like you sort a problem and the next one surface??? Hopefully sometime in the near future I will be able to ride the bike!!!

Want to know if somebody had the same problem and what they did or some advice. I have a 900S2, the fire(think it is) on the vertical cylinder comes and goes while you are riding the bike. When u are riding at normal or full tilt the power will suddenly be gone (running on 1 cylinder). What sometime work is to switch the motor off while you still running, turn the key further to the left and back on and suddenly you can continue on 2 cylinders???

I changed the spark plugs - NGK B8HS, change the resistor spark plug caps, while the bike idles it's got spark and there is petrol from the carburator.

Any ideas before I toss the bike off a cliff?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Try switching the ign. boxes side to side and see if your miss changes cylinders.The Bosch boxes are usually bulletproof but age catches up with everything.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Hi Johan, first off your spark plugs should be B7HS or BP7HS, although I doubt this is connected to your problem. The advice from wdietz186 is as usual spot on. I did have a Bosch amplifier pack up on my S2 after the original plug suppressor caps shorted out in the rain, and swopping them over cylinder to cylinder provided the proof. My guess here is that you have a worn ignition switch, which is giving intermittent connection. You could also check the other wiring connectors for corrosion. Please keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the many replies. Will probably see if I can find anything wrong with the ignition switch?
I have started checking the electrical circuit associated with the charging, as I have a few problems with the regulators packing up. Does anybody know what is the reading I should get from 1. the stator while it is running and 2. what the charging current from the regulator to the battery needs to be? It is a 3 phase stator. I expected the reading between the phases should be similar, but the readings between the phases were completely different? The readings I got was 120V, 60V, 40V... so the the current to the battery is also lower than what I expected?

The stator were megered. All seems fine, can it be that the phases have fewer windings on as the other?

Thanks for your help so far.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I wonder if you might be better off just fitting a new alternator? they can be bought on eBay pretty cheaply and at least you would be starting off from the point of knowing that the thing is right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts