Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, what do you think, will Spies be able to pull it off if it continues to rain during Superpole, or will Fabrizio take pole this time? Predictions for the race? The weather looks like there is a good chance for rain tomorrow as well.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Smrz Snuffs out Spies Streak

I'm proud of my alliteration!. Smrz on pole, form Fabrizio with Spies 3rd. Hacking 20thDetails here

1 96 Smrz J. (CZE) Ducati 1098R 1′35.435
2 65 Rea J. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 1′35.609
3 19 Spies B. (USA) Yamaha YZF R1 1′35.631
4 84 Fabrizio M. (ITA) Ducati 1098R 1′35.811
5 67 Byrne S. (GBR) Ducati 1098R 1′36.224
6 41 Haga N. (JPN) Ducati 1098R 1′36.277
7 7 Checa C. (ESP) Honda CBR1000RR 1′36.537
8 9 Kiyonari R. (JPN) Honda CBR1000RR 1′36.884
9 3 Biaggi M. (ITA) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1′36.439
10 91 Haslam L. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 1′36.510
11 10 Nieto F. (ESP) Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9 1′36.510
12 56 Nakano S. (JPN) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1′36.682
13 71 Kagayama Y. (JPN) Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9 1′36.916
14 66 Sykes T. (GBR) Yamaha YZF R1 1′36.978
15 11 Corser T. (AUS) BMW S1000 RR 1′36.994
16 57 Lanzi L. (ITA) Ducati 1098R 1′37.209
17 36 Lavilla G. (ESP) Ducati 1098R 1′37.266
18 111 Xaus R. (ESP) BMW S1000 RR 1′37.300
19 23 Parkes B. (AUS) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1′37.361
20 2 Hacking J. (USA) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1′38.558
21 25 Salom D. (ESP) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1′38.522
22 14 Lagrive M. (FRA) Honda CBR1000RR 1′38.671
23 99 Scassa L. (ITA) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1′38.755
24 15 Baiocco M. (ITA) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1′38.827
25 94 Checa D. (ESP) Yamaha YZF R1 1′38.828
26 121 Hopkins J. (USA) Honda CBR1000RR 1′38.856
27 77 Iannuzzo V. (ITA) Honda CBR1000RR 1′39.067
28 53 Polita A. (ITA) Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9 1′39.308
29 88 Resch R. (AUT) Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9 1′40.489

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Yeah, looked like Ben went out to late to try for another fast lap. Damn good time by Smrz! Still can't help thinking it'll be Ben, Haga, and Fabrizio in the races.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, looked like Ben went out to late to try for another fast lap. Damn good time by Smrz! Still can't help thinking it'll be Ben, Haga, and Fabrizio in the races.

Yeah I know what you mean. That result by Smrz really wasn't what anyone expected, Spies included. However I agree that Spies, Haga, and Fabrizio will definitely be the ones to watch during the race, as usual.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
As we all know, its the racing that really matters. Pulling off a really fast lap is something, ok, it gives a good starting position. In the racing though, there's judgement, strategy, and planning changes that need to occur. Striking the right balance between outright speed, conservation of rubber and fuel is what brings home the bacon.

Doing all that with an adversary at your tail, or in your front is what separates the winners from the rest.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Sad to see The Streak come to an end, but it had to happen sometime. Personally, I don't think we'll ever see a streak like that again...

Regardless of qualifying, I'm sure the race will be contested by the usual players, and they should be able to put on a good show for us! :cool:

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Prediction:

Haga, Frabrizio, Spies... In that order.

Evidence:

- Spies had many "off-track" excursions during practice. He also rode like a ragged dog in qualifying.
- Fabrizio has been on-pace all weekend, smooth, confident and on the front row
- Haga has been doing very well all weekend. He's got the race pace down, he is ready to do the double just like Kyalami.

If Haga does the double and Spies looses 25 points to Haga (IE; crash or whatnot) I'm gonna say, this season is pretty wrapped up.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Prediction:

Haga, Frabrizio, Spies... In that order.

Not sure that is going to happen in race 1 - Haga just got passed by Hacking. For 9th.

Fabrizio is managing to cling to 3rd for the moment, with Spies right behind him.

People are starting to pit for tires as the track dries though, so who knows.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn, Spies owned that one. Almost 12 seconds ahead of Fabrizio, 31 seconds ahead of Haga. Byrne and Smrz had really good rides on their "customer" bikes. In fact, the only non-Ducati in the top 5 was Spies' Yamaha.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
As we all know, its the racing that really matters. Pulling off a really fast lap is something, ok, it gives a good starting position. In the racing though, there's judgement, strategy, and planning changes that need to occur. Striking the right balance between outright speed, conservation of rubber and fuel is what brings home the bacon.

Doing all that with an adversary at your tail, or in your front is what separates the winners from the rest.
That is what Spies demonstrated in (and on) R1 today. Hats-off to this bloke.

Nice battle right at the end between Smrz and Fabrizio.

I like these kind of races when the outlook between wet or dry is uncertain. Even the BMW was infront for awhile.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder what was wrong with Spies' bike at the start of race two. He went backward really quick and didn't recover until almost mid-race. Bad tire choice maybe?

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Race 2 was brilliant racing entertainment

What a fantastic nail biter race 2 was. View this race. Won't tell you the result, other than it was an upset.

Beautiful racing.

:)

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Yamaha’s Ben Spies timed things to perfection to win the first race of the 8th Round of the 2009 World Superbike Championship held out Misano in the Republic of San Marino after the new flag to flag format was tested for the first time. Spies switched bikes at just the right time from wets to slicks as the track dried in the windy conditions, overhauling early leader Shane Byrne. Championship leader Noriyuki Haga struggled with his Miller injury to 5th whilst team-mate Michel Fabrizio made the podium just ahead of pole sitter Jacob Smrz. Full details here

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Talented Brit Jonathan Rea, took his first ever World Superbike win in Race 2 of the 8th round of the 2009 World Superbike Championship held at Misano in the Republic of San Marino today. Rea took the lead early in the race from a surprisingly fast starting Noriyuki Haga given his first race performance and had a breathtaking set of dices with Michel Fabrizio in the closing laps of the race. Haga took 3rd and Ben Spies 9th after clutch problems during the race. All the details here

·
9,757 Posts
I'm really glad that Fabrizio is finally showing his worth as a factory rider. I was afraid that his result in Italy was just due to a home race advantage, but it looks like he has ridden that success and built upon it in the rounds since then. He seems to have matured quite a bit even from the beginning of the season. Like he said, he can start thinking about the championship now if he keeps his shit together and ups the pace a little bit more to score a couple wins as well.

I'm also glad to see Haga in points mode as well. Like he said the guys who were up front today are all younger than him, but he displayed an advantage in wisdom, in that he didn't push the bike too hard and scored some valuable points in both races. I think it was Tye of all people (lol sorry Tye) who predicted that Haga would go balls out for the first half of the season and try to score as many wins as possible, then revert to points mode for the remainder of the season in order to secure the championship. It would be nice if he could build a stronger points lead at Donnington though.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
There are plenty of races left and I really think Spies is going to overtake Haga and win the championship. He clearly has the fastest bike on the grid and Nori is showing some of that inconsistency that has plagued him during his career. One race he will wup ass, then in another he will ride at 85% speed, I don't get it. The one thing that he has done well nowadays is not crashing as much as he used to, not even close. He is riding smarter in that respect and I think that has to do with him being older. He even alluded to that post race. The high side during practice at Miller was pretty nasty, then the bird striking incident. It takes longer to recovery as you get older, hes pretty tough though, I don't think he has ever experienced bad injuries in his long career.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Spies needed to heed the old Pakistani proverb "if you want to kill her cat, you must do it on the first night". Now he is stuck with his 'hand chosen' mechanic. What does that make 3 or 4 mechanicals? He is a consistent rider, his bike however, not so much.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts