Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been covered in the forum but with a couple quick searches I didn't see anything.

I've noticed on my sport classic that anything over 80mph the mirrors will slowly start to fold down towards me. I'ver tightened them and shortly after the issue comes back.

I spent $20 for the Rhino plugs, but that did nothing. I epoxyed them which worked for about a month.

I don't understand why they didn't make the internal bar ends a hexagon shape to avoid all slipping instead of a perfectly round hole.

Anyways do the rizoma mirrors...

http://www.rizoma.com/Prodotti/zoom.cfm?IMG=http://www.rizoma.com/IMG/Prodotti/Big/BS070A.jpg

solve the problem? Any ideas or similar experiences? I don't like being so careful with the mirrors. I want to be able to yank on them to adjust not worry about the whole thing slipping especially while riding.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
To sum it up...

Stockers suck, yes they move too much / are useless.

Rizomas are a good choice, a lot of folks also use the CRG lane splitters.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
my rizomas slip at around 120mph, at that speed I am no longer checking the mirrors. I took the stockers off within a week of buying the bike. junk.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yeah, the Rizoma mirrors used with the Rizoma bar ends work great. However, make sure you use the metal bushings, not the rubber ones (the rubber ones are no better than the stock ones).

·
Registered
323 Posts
I took mine off to change the grips and never put them back on because they always used to slip. I was going to make some new inserts (bicycle neck style) to solve the problem, but I liked the look without the mirrors too much.

·
Registered
503 Posts
If you use the metal fittings of a 696 Monster ( and probably many others) in place of the rubber...it works well.

I also clean the surface with prepsol and use a bit of locktite.

Works for me.

Cheers

Roger

·
Registered
714 Posts
I got a set of napolean bar ends that I gorillaed tight and they stay pretty much in place at high speed,and IMO they give wide coverage.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Hmm. The Rhino inserts were a 100% total fix for me, and plenty of other folks too. Peronally, I like the stock mirrors, and so was glad to be able to make them work.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I had the mirror slipping issue as well. Although my last itteration of tightening them, they haven't slipped since. Been about a month, I suppose.

I'll probably replace them eventually, but keep the stock mirrors for that "old school" look. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hmm. The Rhino inserts were a 100% total fix for me, and plenty of other folks too. Peronally, I like the stock mirrors, and so was glad to be able to make them work.
+1

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input. I'll take a closer look at the rizomas. Again, I like the stock design, but more than once I look over to check my side and the mirror slipped.

Do the rizomas fit in the bar end the same way as the stock ones? If so why do they slip less. I just don't want to dump $100 only to have the same problem with different mirrors :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
What are these "Rhino inserts", of which you speak? :confused: I did an unsuccessful forum search, and shudder to think about what may turn up from a Google search (probably bestial practices :eek:). Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Bolder

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I'll take a closer look at the rizomas. Again, I like the stock design, but more than once I look over to check my side and the mirror slipped.

Do the rizomas fit in the bar end the same way as the stock ones? If so why do they slip less. I just don't want to dump $100 only to have the same problem with different mirrors :mad:
The rizomas clamp around the bar really tightly.

What's this metal bushing of which you speak slowerthan?

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
What are these "Rhino inserts", of which you speak? :confused: I did an unsuccessful forum search, and shudder to think about what may turn up from a Google search (probably bestial practices :eek:). Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Bolder
These are kind of hidden on there website but here you go. These fixed the mirror problem for me and I haven't had any issues since. Before these the mirrors were fine until highway/interstate speeds and then (more so with the right one) the mirror would start twisting back in the barend until it was useless. There have been a couple people here whose mirror has come out at speed all together. One of which luckily flew into his lap.

I have these and the axle sliders from RhinoMoto and was quite happy with their quality and service. Though if I was starting from scratch right now I would likely get the SpeedyMoto axle sliders as I do have quite a few of their products on my bike.

http://www.e-securedsite.com/RHINOMOTO/store/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=117|Ducati%20Upgrades&productID=150&showDetail=1&categoryID=117|Ducati%20Upgrades&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=

Hope this helps.:)

Hmmm... not sure why its not able to be clicked but if you copy and paste the link above you'll find it.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
These are kind of hidden on there website but here you go. These fixed the mirror problem for me and I haven't had any issues since. Before these the mirrors were fine until highway/interstate speeds and then (more so with the right one) the mirror would start twisting back in the barend until it was useless. There have been a couple people here whose mirror has come out at speed all together. One of which luckily flew into his lap.

I have these and the axle sliders from RhinoMoto and was quite happy with their quality and service. Though if I was starting from scratch right now I would likely get the SpeedyMoto axle sliders as I do have quite a few of their products on my bike.

http://www.e-securedsite.com/RHINOMOTO/store/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=117|Ducati%20Upgrades&productID=150&showDetail=1&categoryID=117|Ducati%20Upgrades&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=

Hope this helps.:)

Hmmm... not sure why its not able to be clicked but if you copy and paste the link above you'll find it.
Many thanks Bishop-Buck! :)

Bolder

1 - 16 of 16 Posts