Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Many thanks to everyone who has made suggestions.

I was going to bite the bullet and order some Amazon Prime budget special bar end mirrors... but
Two things have happened
1) I discovered I don't actually need mirrors to be legal in the UK (I need them, obviously, to stay safe but hey what the hell!)
and
2) You know those 8mm chain adjuster bolts in the alloy swing arm? Both of mine were seized solid. I say both but in truth now there are only one and a half seized solid....
So priorities have changed....
Oh hell!!
Thanks for that reminder
When i get home I’m gonna squirt some WD40 on my adjusters

·
Registered
851 Posts
I had this happen on my '92 with aluminum swingarm. One wheel adjustment bolt was fine and the other one seized. It would move in, but not out. I hit it with repeated heat cycles and that didn't help much. I soaked the area with PB Blaster, wrapped it with a rag soaked in PB Blaster and let it sit for a day or so. I was able to move the bolt out with difficulty so I did that, coated the exposed bolt with PB Blaster, and turned it in.

I did many cycles of this and got it to where I had enough adjustment range. The bolt always turned out with difficulty, but improved. I finally decided to leave well enough alone, adjust the wheel and be done with it. I did put anti-seize on the bolt and ran it in and out the last few cycles. I am guessing that there is some corrosion on the part of the bolt inside the swingarm. Perhaps a small hole drilled in the swingarm would have allowed me to coat the bolt with PB Blaster, but I didn't want to do that. I also bought some new bolts, but decided not to attempt installing them as I was afraid I would either snap the corroded bolt trying to get it out, ruin the threads on the hole fitting, or not be able to get the new bolt in. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Well... the OP stated that he was having difficulty with his chain adjusters. Thought I might save him some head / heartache.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Well instead of screwing around with old bits and corroded threads, I would have once the bolt came out used a thread chaser and cleaned the threads inside the swingarm first, then replace the bolts with new. put a small dab of never seize on the new bolt threads and call it a day

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yes, that would have been the best solution. But with my limited skill and tool sets I decided to avoid the possibility of making the problem worse and focused on making it functional. I never completely removed the original bolt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Help please!

I have searched high and low. I have heard rumours ...however cannot find a suitable fairing mounted mirror that fits the Supersport with the right mounts at a sensible price.
Having spent rather more than I planned I need to reign in the costs, at least until I find new employment post Covid19.

So does anyone know of a suitable aftermarket mirror OR one from another manufacturer that does fit?
I believe the mount centres are at 62mm, though I am aware that other factors also need to be considered.

I have heard that one of the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers has one that fits and thought I might be onto something with a Kawasaki ZX6R however it appears that Japenese mounts do not go as far as 62mm.

Any suggestions please?
I ran old school Bar Ends on my '91 SS and they gave a classic look and functioned great

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I am personally not a fan of anything Emgo makes, It's normally cheaply made garbage --It's like purchasing parts for your Ducati from Wal-Mart

Reactions: CaribooBC

·
Registered
4 Posts
If they ”shake quite a bit ” , how do they improve visibility?
A blurry image of the cars behind me is better than a crisp image of my elbows. I did recently fix something in my carbs and now the bike runs smooth enough that the mirrors are far clearer on the highway. As good as you're going to get with the longer stems that allow you to see around your own body.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a set of genuine Vitaloni extender blocks back in the late 1990’s They were a perfect fit for the mirrors with just a slightly smaller footprint. They actually let me see what’s behind me (instead of my elbows). I remember them being quite cheap back then ($20?), but I can’t find any information on them in my files or on the interweb. I think I might have heard about them on the old Ducati list, but I don’t think the archives exist any longer.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I bought a set of genuine Vitaloni extender blocks back in the late 1990’s They were a perfect fit for the mirrors with just a slightly smaller footprint. They actually let me see what’s behind me (instead of my elbows). I remember them being quite cheap back then ($20?), but I can’t find any information on them in my files or on the interweb. I think I might have heard about them on the old Ducati list, but I don’t think the archives exist any longer. View attachment 986115
I haven’t seen them in ages, either, but it still exists, it seems.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts