Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please!

I have searched high and low. I have heard rumours ...however cannot find a suitable fairing mounted mirror that fits the Supersport with the right mounts at a sensible price.
Having spent rather more than I planned I need to reign in the costs, at least until I find new employment post Covid19.

So does anyone know of a suitable aftermarket mirror OR one from another manufacturer that does fit?
I believe the mount centres are at 62mm, though I am aware that other factors also need to be considered.

I have heard that one of the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers has one that fits and thought I might be onto something with a Kawasaki ZX6R however it appears that Japenese mounts do not go as far as 62mm.

Any suggestions please?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do these fit? I have one of their sets on my 749 and like them. Good quality product.

Many thanks,
They look like the style I would like however as I am in the UK the costs would obviously be increased by shipping (and no doubt import tax)
So may have to wait.

Looking for bargain basement replacement or 2nd hand at dirt cheap prices for now
(Unfortunately jobless as of beginning of April and the industry I normally work in appears to be going to hell....)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Reactions: rspete

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
I really wanted to keep fairing mounted mirrors on my SS, I liked the look. Unfortunately, stock mirrors, even if you can get them to stay put, are crap. Also the stems aren’t long enough to see anything but your shoulders. A longer stem wouldn’t look as good, I feel.
Every time someone mentions another mirror that supposedly fits, I buy some. They never fit. I have bar ends on it now, at least I can see behind me. If you find some , please let everyone know, a source and part number would be great. All of those vague “ I heard..”
stories always turn out to be B.S.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Baron bar end mirrors. Then put bolts in the holes. They fold in and you wont be looking at your elbows anymore,

·
Registered
326 Posts
Here's mine. I got those from Moto-Science as well. They say it fits on 900SS, and it does, but it's not really made for it originally, they just drill two extra holes on the mount, which is wicked disappointing for the price, but it does fit, and I can properly see behind me.
CR1.jpg

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I've learned to look mostly under my elbows for stuff directly behind me, but for either lane beside me the aftermarket ones that came with my bike work well. I have looked everywhere for these on the internet, they stopped making them years ago but they look like the Porsche baby turbos and have never ever once come loose or out of adjustment and they do not vibrate at all. I will take a pic and edit this post later with it.

·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
When I bought my bike there where these Lightech mirrors mounted on it. But the stock mirrors came with the bike so I used those and sold the Lightech ones.
These Lightech mirrors seemed very popular as 4 or 5 people were bidding on them and I sold them for +/-€100.
But I didn't like them.

Lightech CF Mirrors

·
Registered
223 Posts
I really wanted to keep fairing mounted mirrors on my SS, I liked the look.
Same here. There may be better mirrors available but they never look as good as the stock ones to my opinion.
The size, the shape,... all matching the rest of the bike perfectly.
The waterdrop-like Lightech mirrors I had on my bike were too small, and the shape made my bike look like Shrek, who has Lightech-mirror-shaped ears...

Unfortunately, stock mirrors, even if you can get them to stay put, are crap. Also the stems aren’t long enough to see anything but your shoulders.
They're not ideal but I don't mind turning my elbow a bit to get a clear view backwards. Or quickly turning my head to check upcoming traffic on the highway.
I rather do that then put ugly looking mirrors on my bike.

A longer stem wouldn’t look as good, I feel.
It's an Italian thing. I has to look good.
Duc-rider: "Ducati SS mirrors are crap, you can't see anything behind you"
Italian guy: "Sure, but they look good, don't they?"
Duc-rider: "Yeah, but..."
Italian guy: "No but! They look good. Done."

·
Registered
223 Posts
I’m gonna try some CBR600 mirrors on mine. I’m told it’s a minor mod to make them fit and they can be found on eBay dirt cheap.
They remind me a little of the Moto-Science units.
Those might work... They have the right shape, I think the size is okay...
The only thing that might be a bummer is the long, tiny stem but I would have to see pictures of these mirrors mounted to see if that's a problem.
Anyway; they are better looking that bar-end mirrors or most aftermarket mirrors I've seen.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts

VITALONI STORM MIRROR BLACK BABY TURBO
Yep, those are very close to mine, but they have more creases/folds, a little longer in the shaft, and say Dick Millen (or Dirk Miller) on them, private label version, maybe the Miata racing group? Anyway, they are good enough for visibility since they look to be about an inch further up and out.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts

I pulled it out further to show its range - I usually ride with it tucked in just a bit more but but with the mirror part flat to the road. I do not know where to find these, but the mounting base and mirror appearance is exactly the Vitaloni style just a bit longer in the stalk. With it taller and tucked in it looks right and you can see over your upper arm since my shoulder is no longer blocking the view. No blocking at all in a tuck, which I must have adjusted them thousands of times for with never loosening up.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
After I got my original mirrors to stop moving around in the air stream at speed I dont find them that bad, yes I see my shoulders and arms in the upper 1/2 of the mirror the lower 1/2 I can see behind me fairly well, I'm 6'1 at least they are far better then the mirrors on my 907IE lol

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
For a while I actually ran both stock mirrors and bar ends. Eventually I took the stock mirrors off as I was never using them, the bar ends gave a better field of view and vibrated less.
I’m talking the $15/pr Chinese knock offs, not expensive ones.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Many thanks to everyone who has made suggestions.

I was going to bite the bullet and order some Amazon Prime budget special bar end mirrors... but
Two things have happened
1) I discovered I don't actually need mirrors to be legal in the UK (I need them, obviously, to stay safe but hey what the hell!)
and
2) You know those 8mm chain adjuster bolts in the alloy swing arm? Both of mine were seized solid. I say both but in truth now there are only one and a half seized solid....
So priorities have changed....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts