Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Mirror Springs Help

11K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  CaribooBC 
#1 ·
Wondering if anyone has dealt with the mirror springs? Need to replace mine on both the left and right. Bike is a 2007 ST3s and the mirrors are sprung. Sockets and base plates are in great shape, as well as the mirrors. Dealer told me I'll need to replace the entire mirror assembly... :crazy:

Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated!

#3 ·
Yes, Mike is the guy.

However, no telling which spring needed unless current mirror removed and spring removed.

I'm at this point, however, no opportunity to take mirror apart.

He's the guy and the part will be as good as new.

#4 ·
Also, do yourself a favor and buy a tee-handled spring pulling tool. Harbor Freight has one. Less than $10, and worth it!

#5 ·
There isn't that much tension in them; simply double over a length of wire, feed the looped end through whichever aperture you need to draw the spring end hook through, and pull it into position. Did it this week with a nylon camera hand loop in fact.

#9 ·
I pulled them to bits add cable ties to enable me to replace the springs + a cable tie on each spring as well, then pulled them tight... seems to be OK..

#11 ·
Sounds like you have a good sense of mechanics and how things work!! I tried for nearly an hour using needle nose pliers to grab the spring and attach it.. I was able to do it but it did take some time to get it. Once I knew what was needed to do, it became easier to do but I came across a metal long hook at an Orchard Supply Hardware store and bought it, of course never needed after that..

#15 ·
I needed new springs but was also tired of just being able to see my shoulder and elbow in my mirrors so bought handlebar clamps from a Streetfighter and a pair of DP handlebar mounted mirrors. Killed two birds with one stone.

#18 ·
Mike also provides mirror riser blocks. They are about one inch thick and allow for a view properly clearing the elbows. No change to the springs. Only needed additional piece is a set of longer bolts, included in the kit. I have a set and they work very well.

#20 · (Edited)
hello
some one ask ref st mirror riser sets
i have some st mirror spacers sets due next week or so just been water jet cut now not on ebay just now if you want them plain alum and paint your self just tell me as they come matt black 2 per set
mike

Attachments

#21 ·
Thanks Mike, your springs worked wonders on my floppy mirrors. Ordered on Nov 8th, arrived Nov 19th. 11 days from Ireland to west coast of Canada, during a postal labour disruption. Good Show :)
The idea of using a zip tie to pull the spring over the post was brilliant, springs replaced in about 15 seconds each. Now if you did not have to remove the windshield and inner dash panels to get at the mirror mounts..........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.