Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone extended the stock mirrors for a better view (of things other than your arms)? Would a flat piece of plastic work to move them out, or does it need some curvature to match the fairing?

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I've read threads where guys made extensions from wood, then painted them. They looked good, and may have dampened the vibes a little. Bottom line, if you could extend them to the point where you could see past your shoulders, you still wouldn't be able to see anything in those junk mirrors.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Try adding a couple of stick-on convex mirrors available from auto supply stores. It seems to be better if you place the convex mirror insert toward the inside of the stock mirrors instead of on the outside. The outside edges are usually the only part of the mirrors that you can easily see with. The inside edges just show your elbows so when you put the convex part there, it still shows close freeway traffic better without blocking your longer distance rear view.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
From pictures it appears an extension for it would be a rather simple 3D Sculping project for a 3D printer, black ABS. Since 3D printers by default honeycomb the insides of parts to any density you choose, weight would be negligible.

·
Registered
289 Posts
From pictures it appears an extension for it would be a rather simple 3D Sculping project for a 3D printer, black ABS. Since 3D printers by default honeycomb the insides of parts to any density you choose, weight would be negligible.
I'd buy a set if they look nice. Especially if they shipped with extended hardware.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I was thinking. Or pretty easy to cut out of a sheet of delrin/acetal. They shouldn't add much weight, though I would imagine anyone super-conscious of weight would move to a different mirror (or none at all) anyway.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Strega, Are you saying those adapters in your pic will enable someone to put Honda mirrors as pictured on an SS ? If so. Where can they be purchased ?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Strega, Are you saying those adapters in your pic will enable someone to put Honda mirrors as pictured on an SS ?
No, the picture shows a length extension for early superbikes. However, a similar approach could be used to machine an adapter for the longer Honda mirrors

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've made up a simple extension block in my 3D modeling program (Fusion 360) that is about 20mm tall (3/4 inch) and should match the shape of the mirror where it attaches to the bike. I'm hoping to get to a 3D printer this week to try it out. It will be my first 3D printing project, so we'll see how it goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts