1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
403 Posts
OK, this might sound odd coming from someone who owns a very similar bike, but why would someone do that with *THAT* bike? Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful bike. But it's not an R or Bostrom Rep model. It's not an FE. It's not VIN#0001. It's not a particularly rare or desirable model. It's just a 998 BP. Anyone with enough money to buy a Ducati for display only, surely has enough money to afford a Ducati of significance, no? Why choose an otherwise insignificant base model to waste on permanent display?

·
I'm NOT an AAAAA-d-m-i-n
210 Posts
nathanTX said:
Why choose an otherwise insignificant base model to waste on permanent display?
Because he lives in Alberta, CA and has like only three days a year that he could ride at all. :D

·
Registered
403 Posts
Damn good point. That's what I get for applying rational thought to something Canadian.

:D :p :D

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
That's Duc's actually lucky it even made it out of the crate ... there are many Ducs out there still wrapped completely in their crates, kept by collectors ... the 916, 996R's, 748R's, 998 FE, '03 999 and 749, the first 999R's and 749R's, Paul Smarts, MH900E .... sleeping in crates in very rich people's garages!

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Either way could be a good buy for someone, if the reserve is not too high and it's for real - I don't know what prices 998's go for in the USA but $15,000 can. seems reasonable to me for a 'new' 998, if it was closer to me I might be tempted to bid..... :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
If someone bought that 998 would you have to change the belts because it's been sitting for so long? What about seals? I wonder if the battery is still in it. Just wondering.:)

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
that's an understatement !

and a big amen to that !

migz123 said:
That's Duc's actually lucky it even made it out of the crate ... there are many Ducs out there still wrapped completely in their crates, kept by collectors ... the 916, 996R's, 748R's, 998 FE, '03 999 and 749, the first 999R's and 749R's, Paul Smarts, MH900E .... sleeping in crates in very rich people's garages!

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
migz123 said:
True. If the guy bought it is an investment he screwed himself the second he took it out of the create. If he bought it simply as eye candy, well, I've seen some pretty sculptures that look much more crappy than a 998.

Tony

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mine looked that perfect once.

When I picked my bike up it was perfect. Now 19,000 miles later it still looks damn good. But it has some chips and scratches here and there. Most of the miles from the street and a few track days last year. Many more to come.
I love the bike and plan on trying to wear it out before I wear out. I second the observation of buying a rare or significant bike to put in a living room. I just went to a auction in Vegas that had serial #1 MV Augusta 750 "America" that sold for $71,000. The story on it was that it had sat in someones living room for 20+ years and then was bought by a collector and now came up for sale. Generally though bikes and cars are not a "investment" they are a purchase that when used give you more fun than money itself can buy. I know my Duc is worth every penny every time I throw a leg over it and go.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Jus_Livin said:
If someone bought that 998 would you have to change the belts because it's been sitting for so long? What about seals? I wonder if the battery is still in it. Just wondering.:)
I agree.. the rings and everything would be a little stiff after sitting for so long. Even though he's not put fuel in it and what not the engine was still run @ the factory.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Any 998 (plain or otherwise) will be worth more over the years as the numbers of 998s dwindle. Obviously, the more rare the model the more money they are worth.

You figure the 998 was in production for one year and a final edition in 2004. That's some low numbers...

·
I'm NOT an AAAAA-d-m-i-n
210 Posts
My 748 is worth more to me than it is to the general market, but I bought it ride and keep. A damn shame for a Ducati to be penned up in some livin' room or for that matter, Canada.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts